- Volume 39 Issue 5
Brand love contributes to consumers' positive post-purchase behavior; therefore, fast fashion brand marketers should make more efforts to develop marketing strategies to promote brand love in the increasingly competitive fast fashion industry. This study identified the antecedents and consequences of fast fashion brand love to provide insights into brand love. Brand-related variables (affective brand experience, self-expressive brand, and hedonic brand attitude) were considered as antecedents, and post-purchase behavior variables (loyalty and positive word of mouth) were considered as consequences. It was hypothesized that affective brand experience, self-expressive brand, and hedonic brand attitude directly and indirectly influence brand loyalty and positive word of mouth through brand love. Data were gathered by surveying university students in Seoul, using convenience sampling. Two hundred and eighty-six questionnaires were used in the statistical analysis. Factor analysis revealed that all variables were uni-dimensional. Tests of the hypothesized path showed that affective brand experience and self-expressive brand indirectly influenced brand loyalty and positive word of mouth through brand love versus the direct influence of hedonic brand attitude. The results suggest some implications for fast fashion brand marketers.
Brand love;Affective brand experience;Self-expressive brand;Hedonic brand attitude
- Kim, M. S., Jeong, G. Y., & Jang, Y. W. (2014). The effect of global fast fashion brand experience on brand love. Journal of Korean Society for Wellness, 9(3), 13-31.
- Lee, J. H., & Lee, H. S. (2013). Does satisfaction affect brand loyalty? Academy of Marketing Studies, 17(2), 133-147.
- Lim, J. W., Kim, J. I., Hong, S. T., & Lee, Y. J. (2013). Consumer behavior (3rd ed.). Seoul: Kyoungmoon.
- Batra, R., & Ahtola, O. T. (1990). Measuring the hedonic and utilitarian sources of consumer attitudes. Marketing Letters, 2(2), 159-170.
- Lindgren, J. H., & Konopa, L. J. (1980). A comparative analysis of multiattribute attitude models. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 8(4), 374-389. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02721933
- Ahn, K. H., & Lee, J. H. (2013). The effect of consumer selfcongruence and perceived product quality on the brand love. Journal of Consumer Studies, 24(4), 125-146.
- Ahn, K. H., Lee, J. H., & Hwang, P. J. (2014). The effect of the fulfillment of consumer's needs on brand love. Journal of Consumer Studies, 25(6), 25-43.
- Ahuvia, A. C. (2005). Beyond the extended self: Loved objects and consumers' identity narratives. Journal of Consumer Research, 32(1), 171-184. https://doi.org/10.1086/429607
- Albert, N., & Merunka, D. (2013). The role of brand love in consumer-brand relationships. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 30(3), 258-266. https://doi.org/10.1108/07363761311328928
- Jeong, G. Y., & Yu, H. J. (2014). A study of the effect of fast fashion brand experience on brand identification. The Korean Journal of Advertising, 25(3), 147-173. https://doi.org/10.14377/KJA.2014.4.15.147
- Brakus, J. J., Schmitt, B. H., & Zarantonello, L. (2009). Brand experience: What is it? How is it measured? Does it affect loyalty? Journal of Marketing, 73(3), 52-68.
- Carroll, B. A., & Ahuvia, A. C. (2006). Some antecedents and outcomes of brand love. Marketing Letters, 17(2), 79-89. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11002-006-4219-2
- Cheon, H. S., & Kim, D. Y. (2011). The effect of brand love, brand management, and word-of-mouth on brand management. The e-Business Studies, 12(2), 199-227.
- Choi, S. H. (2008). Consumers' love for brand: Based on Sternberg's triangular theory of love. Journal of Marketing Studies, 15(4), 129-156.
- Dick, A. S., & Basu, K. (1994). Customer loyalty: Toward an integrated coceptural framework. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 22(2), 99-113. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070394222001
- Fetscherin, M. (2014). What type of relationship do we have with loved brands? Journal of Consumer Marketing, 31(6/7), 430-440. https://doi.org/10.1108/JCM-05-2014-0969
- Goldsmith, R. E., Flynn, L. R., & Clark, R. A. (2012). Materialistic, brand engaged and status consuming consumers and clothing behaviors. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, 16(1), 102-119. https://doi.org/10.1108/13612021211203050
- Iglesias, O., Singh, J. J., & Batista-Foguet, J. M. (2011). The role of brand experience and affective commitment in determining brand loyalty. Brand Management, 18(8), 570-582. https://doi.org/10.1057/bm.2010.58
- Ismail, A. R., & Spinelli, G. (2012). Effects of brand love, personality and image on word of mouth: The case of fashion brands among young consumers. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, 16(4), 386-398. https://doi.org/10.1108/13612021211265791
- Jeon, K. S., & Park, H. J. (2014). Post-purchase behavior toward fast fashion brands: Applying the expectancy disconfirmation model. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 22(6), 930-942. https://doi.org/10.7741/rjcc.2014.22.6.930
- Batra, R., Ahuvia, A., & Bagozzi, R. (2012). Brand love. Journal of Marketing, 76(2), 1-16.
- Bergkvist, L., & Bech-Larsen, T. (2010). Two studies of consequences and actionable antecedents of brand love. Brand Management, 17(7), 504-518. https://doi.org/10.1057/bm.2010.6
- Roy, S. K., Eshghi, A., & Sarkar, A. (2013). Antecedents and consequences of brand love. Journal of Brand Management, 20(4), 325-332. https://doi.org/10.1057/bm.2012.24
- Sarkar, A. (2014). Brand love in emerging market: A qualitative investigation. Qualitative Market Research: An International Journal, 17(4), 481-494. https://doi.org/10.1108/QMR-03-2013-0015
- Sarkar, A., Ponnam, A., & Murthy, B. K. (2012). Understanding and measuring romantic brand love. Journal of Customer Behaviour, 11(4), 325-348.
- Sarkar, A., & Sreejesh, S. (2014). Examination of the roles played by brand love and jealousy in shaping customer engagement. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 23(1), 24-32. https://doi.org/10.1108/JPBM-05-2013-0315
- Schiffman, L. G., & Kanuk, L. Z. (2000). Consumer behavior (7th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Shimp, T. A., & Madden, T. J. (1988). Consumer-object relations:A conceptual framework based analogously on Sternberg's triangular theory of love. Advances in Consumer Research, 15(1), 163-168.
- So, J. T., Parsons, A. G., & Yap, S. F. (2013). Corporate branding, emotional attachment and brand loyalty: The case of luxury fashion branding. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, 17(4), 403-423. https://doi.org/10.1108/JFMM-03-2013-0032
- Solomon, M. R. (2002). Consumer behavior (5th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Lovett, M. J., Peres, R., & Shachar, R. (2013). On brands and word of mouth. Journal of Marketing Research, 50(4), 427-444. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmr.11.0458
- Loureiro, S. M. C., Ruediger, K. H., & Demetris, V. (2012). Brand emotional connection and loyalty. Journal of Brand Manangement, 20(1), 13-27. https://doi.org/10.1057/bm.2012.3
- Mazodier, M., & Merunka, D. (2012). Achieving brand loyalty through sponsorship: The role of fit and self-congruity. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 40(6), 807-820. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11747-011-0285-y
- Mugge, R., Schifferstein, H. N., & Schoormans, J. P. (2010). Product attachment and satisfaction: Understanding consumers' post-purchase behavior. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 27(3), 271-282. https://doi.org/10.1108/07363761011038347
- Oliver, R. L. (1999). Whence consumer loyalty? Journal of Marketing, 63(4), 33-44.
- Park, C. W., & MacInnis, D. J. (2006). What's in and what's out: Questions on the boundaries of the attitude construct. Journal of Consumer Research, 33(1), 16-18. https://doi.org/10.1086/504122
- Park, H. J. (2014). Antecedents of consumers' decision postponement on purchasing fast fashion brands. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 22(5), 743-759. https://doi.org/10.7741/rjcc.2014.22.5.743
- Patwardhan, H., & Balasubramanian, S. K. (2011). Brand romance:A complementary approach to explain emotional attachment toward brands. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 20(4), 297-308. https://doi.org/10.1108/10610421111148315
- Putrevu, S., & Lord, K. R. (1994). Comparative and non-comparative advertising: Attitudinal effects under cognitive and affective involvement conditions. Journal of Advertising, 23(2), 77-90. https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.1994.10673443
- Rossiter, J. R. (2012). A new C-OAR-SE-based content-valid and predictively valid measure that distinguishes brand love for brand liking. Marketing Letters, 23(3), 905-916. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11002-012-9173-6
- Albert, A., & Valette-Florence, P. (2010). Measuring the love feeling with interpersonal love items. Journal of Marketing Development and Competitiveness, 5(1), 57-63.
- Bae, B. R. (2011). AMOS 19 구조방정식 모델링 [Structural equation modeling with AMOS 19: Principles and practice]. Seoul: Chungram.
- Baldinger, A. L., & Rubinson, J. (1996). Brand loyalty: The link between attitude and behavior. Journal of Advertising Research, 36(6), 22-34.
- Sternberg, R. J. (1986). Triangular theory of love. Psychological Review, 93(2), 119-135. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.93.2.119
- Sternberg, R. J. (1997). Construct validation of a triangular love scale. European Journal of Social Psychology, 27(3), 313-335. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-0992(199705)27:3<313::AID-EJSP824>3.0.CO;2-4
- Thompson, M., MacInnis, D. J., & Park, C. W. (2005). The ties that bind: Measuring the strength of consumers emotional attachment to brands. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 15(1), 77-91. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327663jcp1501_10
- Unal, S., & Aydin, H. (2013). An investigation on the evaluation of the factors affecting brand love. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 92(10), 76-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.08.640
- VonRiesen, R. D., & Herndon, N. C. (2011). Consumer involvement with the product and the nature of brand loyalty. Journal of Marketing Channels, 18(4), 327-352. https://doi.org/10.1080/1046669X.2011.613322
- Wallace, E., Buil, I., & Chernatony, L. (2014). Consumer engagement with self-expressive brands: Brand love and WOM outcomes. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 23(1), 33-42. https://doi.org/10.1108/JPBM-06-2013-0326
- Westbrook, R. A. (1987). Product/consumption-based affective responses and postpurchase processes. Journal of Marketing Research, 24(3), 258-270. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151636
- Albert, N., Merunka, D., & Valette-Florence, P. (2008). When consumers love their brands: Exploring the concept and its dimensions. Journal of Business Research, 6(1), 171-184.
- New Marketing Strategies for Fast Fashion Brands in South Korea: An Exploration of Consumer’s Purchasing Experiences vol.20, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2018.20.6.629