- Volume 39 Issue 5
This study analyzed Korean middle-aged men's fashionable styles according to ageless trends as their representative characteristic and deriving their special features from men's magazines. Literature and case studies were conducted together. The research findings are as follows. First, it showed uniformity, conformity, passive clothing selection and consumption in 1990s as characteristics of middle-aged men's wear by period. However, clothing became an expressive way to pursue individuality and an ageless trend gradually, and middle-aged men positioned themselves as subjects of a consumer market for men's wear after 2010 through active clothing selection and consumption. Second, along with a trend change preferring a comfortable and active to formal atmosphere, it showed that casual style became diversified and segmented gradually in Korean middle-aged men's ageless trend and fashionable style. Third, as for formative characteristic changes in middle-aged men's fashionable style by period, it contained a slim silhouette, bright and splendid colors and patterns, increase of light, active and functional materials, generalization of casual items and pursuit of individuality by various mix & match styles. Fourth, in Korean men's ageless trend and changing fashionable style, four kinds of special characteristics were derived that included a change of the traditional clothing symbolism, weakened conformity & pursuit of personality, obscured boundaries between age and wearing style, and active embracing of a trend.
Ageless trend;Fashionable style;Korean middle-aged men;Middle-aged men's clothing
- Jo, S. Y., & Hwang, S. M. (2013). A study of effects of gap between actual age and self-perceived age in middle-age women on their appearance management behavior and selfesteem. Korean Journal of Aesthetic Society, 11(6), 1137-1146.
- Kim, B. S. (2008, August 22). [스타일/패션]겹쳐입기는 기본... 체크셔츠-청바지로 젊음을 훔쳐 [[Style/Fashion]Layered look is basic... stealing youth as check shirt and jean]. dongA.com. Retrieved November 2, 2014, from http://news.donga.com/3/all/20080822/8621040/1
- The Management Lab. (2010, January 5). 2010년 주목할 소비트렌드 7 [7 Attention to consumption trends in 2010]. LG Economic Research Institute. Retrieved November 2, 2014, from http://www.lgeri.com/management/marketing/article.asp?grouping=01020300&seq=351
- Woo, I. K. (2001, March). Dress Your Age. GQ Korea, pp. 244-245.
- Yang, C. E. (2011). Development of the slim-fit formal pants pattern for middle-aged men. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 35(1), 26-36. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2011.35.1.026
- Yeom, H. J. (2012, May 12). '나만의 山中명품' 중장년층을 홀리다 ['My luxury goods in the mountains' attract middle-aged class]. dongA.com. Retrieved November 2, 2014, from http://news.donga.com/3/all/20120512/46187219/1
- Yeom, H. J. (2013, March 29). 4050세대 "아웃도어 의류 입으면 젊고 활동적으로 보여" [4050's "Look young if they put on the outdoor clothing"]. dongA.com. Retrieved November 2, 2014, from http://news.donga.com/3/all/20130329/54053579/1
- Yoon, N. R., Yang, E. J., & Jin, Y. M. (2012). TV drama in "flower middle-aged" character of fashion and hair style analysis. Journal of the Korean Beauty Art Society, 6(4), 297-308.
- Jeon, H. J. (2013a, January). CEO & Style 내 인생의 버켓리스트 [CEO & Style The bucket list of my life]. Leon Korea, p. 154.
- Jeon, H. J. (2013b, July). CEO & Style 비즈니스란 사람과의 관계를 깊고 넓게 다지는 것 [CEO & Style Business is what makes the relationship between people deep and widely]. Leon Korea, p. 175.
- Jeong, H. J. (2003). 나이 듦, 늙음 그리고 성별 [Aging, agedness and gender]. 당대비평, (22), 338-351.
- Sadler, W. (2013). The third age: Six principles of growth and renewal after forty (24rd ed.) (G. S. Kim, Trans.). Seoul:Sa-I. (Original work published 2001)
- Shim, A. R. (2013a, April). '최고'도 끊임없이 진화합니다['The best thing' evolving continuously]. Leon Korea, p. 30.
- Shim, A. R. (2013b, April). 나 홀로 떠나는 힐링 골프 여행[The healing golf travel alone]. Leon Korea, p. 193.
- Shim, J. S., & Jeun, Y. S. (2013). A study of middle-aged men's appearance management activity. The Journal of the Korean Society of Make-up Design, 9(1), 31-37.
- Shin, K. A., & Han, M. J. (2013). The Korean babyboomers as new seniors: their attitudes and perceptions about life after retirement and their content needs for successful transition. Media, Gender & Culture, (25), 113-144.
- Shin, K. H., & Suh, C. Y. (2014). 3D body scan data analysis for the slim-fit dress shirts pattern design-Focused on the 40s male-. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 38(1), 97-109. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2014.38.1.97 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2014.38.1.97
- Son, E. Y. (2009). A study on clothing preference images and factors affecting the decision-making processes of casual wear by lifestyle types of the middle-aged male. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Park, S. C. (2002). The study of image visual effect by midaged men's suit design. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 10(6), 697-708.
- Park, S. J., & Yoo, H. S. (2011). Shangri-La syndrome of Korean in their 40s and 50s-Factors affecting the syndrome, conditions, and tools for young appearance-. Journal of the Korean Society for Clothing Industry, 13(1), 55-65. https://doi.org/10.5805/KSCI.2011.13.1.055
- Jeong, Y. H. (2005, September 9). [커버스토리]386중년, 청바지 다시 입는다 [[Coverstory]386 Middle age, put on jeans again]. dongA.com. Retrieved November 2, 2014, from http://news.donga.com/3/all/20050909/8226955/1
- Byun, M. Y. (2011). Development of casual ware design for new middle-aged women. Unpublished doctoral thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Choi, J. Y. (2007, January). HOW OLD AM I. GQ Korea, p. 115.
- Go, Y. S. (2014, September 19). 40대 '꽃청춘男' 소비주역 부상 [40's 'bloomy man' uprise as the leading of consumption]. MIDAS. Retrieved October 5, 2014, from http://www.yonhapmidas.com/lifeeconomy/topic/2014-10/141005180638_928598
- Gwon, S. J. (2013, August). 원색옷도 두렵지 않다 [Not afraid of vivid clothes]. Den, p. 54.
- Ha, J. M. (2013, April). 멋을 아는 남자의 유러피언 스타일 아웃도어 룩 [The European style outdoor look of stylish man]. Den, p. 46.
- Ham, Y. H., Park, D. J., Lee, H. S., Cho, J. H., & Hong, S. W. (2012). 대한민국 40대 리포트 [Reports of 40's in Korea]. Seoul: Miraebook.
- Hong, K. H. (2010). The influence of middle aged women's TV media involvement on difference age, youth-pursuing clothing behaviors and fashion leadership. Journal of the Korean Society for Clothing Industry, 12(3), 310-317. https://doi.org/10.5805/KSCI.2010.12.3.310
- Hong, Y. A. (2008, October). 청바지 잘 입는 남자 [Stylish jeans middle aged man]. Den, p. 59.
- Hong, Y. A. (2009, March). 골프웨어 멋지게 입는 방법 [The stylish way of wearing golf wear]. Den, p. 54.
- Kim, C. L., & Yum, H. J. (2010). An analysis of trend and design characteristics on the Korea men's business casual. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 60(10), 16-27.
- Kim, N. D., Lee, H. E., Kwon, H. J., Lee, J. Y., Jun, M. Y., & Kim, S. Y. (2011). Trend Korea 2012. Seoul: Miraebook.
- Kwon, I. K., & Won, D. Y. (2014). The analysis of consumption behavior and marketing implication of middle-aged women's outdoor sportswear. The Korean Journal of Physical Education, 53(2), 309-321.
- Lee, I. S., Lee, S. Y., & Kim, T. H. (2006). Analysis of design characteristic and trend of sports casual ware - Based on comparison with active sports ware. Journal of the Korean Fashion & Costume Design Association, 8(1), 25-36.
- Lee, M. S. (2012). Development of golf wear design for new middle-aged women who influence down-aging trends. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Lee, Y. J., & Park, M. J. (2013). The middle-aged consumer's using active wear as casual wear based on the clothing benefits. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 21(5), 765-779. https://doi.org/10.7741/rjcc.2013.21.5.765
- Lim, I. S. (2005). Men' acceptance level of body-management and their appearance anxiety. Korean Journal of Sociology, 39(6), 87-118.
- Marilyn, J. H., & Lois, M. G. (1992). The second skin: An interdisciplinary study of clothing (4rd ed.) (H. Y. Lee, J. W. Min, & M. Y. Son, Trans.). Seoul: Kachi Publishing Co., Ltd. (Original work published 1981)
- Park, G. S. (2006). Interesting world of fashion. Deajeon: Chungnam National University press.
- Park, J. H. (2007, January). Age matters. GQ Korea, p. 119.
- Park, M. H. (2012, May). 아웃도어룩에 실패하지 않는 11가지 스타일링 노하우 [The 11 styling know-how outdoor look]. Den, p. 78.
- Influence of negative age stereotypes and anti-aging needs on older consumers’ consumption-coping behaviours: A qualitative study in South Korea vol.42, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/ijcs.12416
Grant : 의류 · 패션 전문 창조인재 양성팀