- Volume 35 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Analysis on Knowledge State of Inquiry Abilities of Elementary School Students on Electric Circuits
초등학생의 전기회로 탐구능력에 대한 지식상태 분석
- Received : 2015.09.17
- Accepted : 2015.10.23
- Published : 2015.10.31
Concerning elementary school science subject electric circuit units, which are regarded as difficult by teachers and students, this study aims to use the knowledge state analysis method along with interviews to analyze the knowledge state and hierarchy of inquiry abilities. Before and after applying the electric circuit inquiry abilities module, the question items aimed at assessing the basic inquiry abilities and integrative inquiry abilities for electric circuits were presented to students, and their knowledge state was analyzed along with interviews. Through analysis of the knowledge structure and hierarchy of inquiry abilities about electric circuits, the way of thinking of teachers who taught inquiry abilities, and the way of thinking of students were found to be visually different from each other, and this is an important factor that should not be neglected in the process of teaching and learning about inquiry abilities and should be considered. In addition, the presentation of the knowledge state of and hierarchical relations between inquiry abilities factors can offer implications for guidance on students' learning about inquiry abilities.
inquiry Abilities;knowledge state
- Heller, P. & Finley, F. N. (1992). Variable uses of alternative conceptions: A case study in current electricity. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 29(3), 259-275. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660290306
- Hiebert, J., & Lefevre, P. (1986). Conceptual and procedural knowledge in mathematic: An introductory analysis. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Huber, R. A., & Moore, C. J. (2001). A model for extending hands-on science to be inquiry based. School Science and Mathematics, 101(1), 32-42. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1949-8594.2001.tb18187.x
- Jeong, S., Kim, S., & Park, J. (2009). The Effect of Cognitive Acceleration Instructional Strategies Applied to Unit of 'The Light and Shadow' in Elementary School. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 28(3), 321-330.
- Kelly, J. (2000). Rethinking the elementary science methods course: A case for content, pedagogy and informal science education. International Journal of Science Education, 22. 755-777. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500690050044080
- Kim, H., & Lee, H. (2006). Why Do Secondary Students Perceive Physics is Uninteresting and Difficult? New Physics: Sae Mulli, 52(6), 521-529.
- Chang, J., & Jhun, Y. (2010). Development and Application of Open Inquiry Program: Focusing on the Students' Traits of Science Inquiring Ability and Repeated Feedback. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 29(2), 207-218.
- Chinn, C. A., & Malhotra, B. A. (2002). Epistemologically authentic inquiry in schools: A theoretical framework for evaluating inquiry tasks. Science Education, 86, 175-218. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.10001
- Choi, E., & Hong, S. (2006). Surveying Elementary School Teachers' Understanding and Misconceptions about a Battery. New Physics: Sae Mulli, 53(4), 263-281.
- Choi, K., Won, J., & Paik, S. (2011). The PCK Characteristics of Elementary School Teachers in the Classes of 'Making Electric Circuit' Unit. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 30(3), 315-329.
- Chu, H., & Lee, M. (2005). Pre-service Teachers' Conceptions about Brightness of Bulbs in Simple Series Circuit and Parallesl Circuits. New Physics: Sae Mulli, 51(5). 448-457.
- Cosgrove. M. (1995). A Study of Science in the making as Students Generate an analogy for Electricity. International Journal of Science Education, 17(3), 295-310. https://doi.org/10.1080/0950069950170303
- Dirks, C., & Cunningham, M. (2006). Enhancing Diversity in Science: is Teaching Science Process Skills the Answer? CBE Life Sci. Eudc. 5(3), 218-226. https://doi.org/10.1187/cbe.05-10-0121
- Hammerman, E. (2006). Becoming a better science teacher: 8 steps to high quality instruction and student achievement. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- Han, Y., & Lee, W. (2005). An Effect of Integrated Science Inquiry Learning Method through Literature Materials on the Elementary Science Learning. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 24(1), 9-20.
- Lawson, A. E. (1995). Science teaching and the development of thinking. Wadsworth Publishing Company.
- Lee, D., Kang, H., & Yoon, H. (2014). Elementary School Teachers' Perceptions on Effects of 'Basic Inquiry' Units in Experimental Grade 3-4 Science Textbooks developed for 2009 Revised National Curriculum. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 33(1), 30-43. https://doi.org/10.15267/keses.2014.33.1.030
- Lee, H., Ha, J., & Park, S. (2011). Middle School Science Gifted Students' Knowledge state Analysis of Light Concept Through Evaluation Questions. Journal of Gifted/Talented Education, 21(4), 861-884. https://doi.org/10.9722/JGTE.2011.21.4.861
- Lee, H., Jeong, J., Park, K., & Kwon, Y. (2004). Types of Scientific Questions Generated in Observational Activity by Elementary Students and Preservice Teachers. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 24(5), 1018-1027.
- Lee, S., Jhun, Y., Hong, J., Shin, Y., Choi, J., & Lee, I. (2007). Difficulties Experienced by Elementary School Teachers in Science Class. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 26(1), 97-107.
- Lee, Y., & Kang, S. (2011). The Analysis of the Ability to Control Variables and the Types of Controlling Variables by Junior High School Students. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 31(1), 32-47.
- Martin, R., Sexton, C., & Franklin, T. (2009). Teaching science for all children: An inquiry approach (5th ed.). Boston: Pearson.
- National Research Council (2006). Systems for state science assessment. Committee on Test Design for K-12 Achievement. Washington DC: National Academy Press.
- National Research Council. (2000). Inquiry and the National Science Education Standards: A Guide for Teaching and Learning. Center for Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Education. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press.
- Kim, S., Park, S., Lee, H., & Jeong, K. (2007). Analysis for Practical use as a Learning Diagnostic Assessment Instrument through the Knowledge State Analysis Method. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 27(4), 346-353.
- Kwak, Y., & Kim, J. (2003). Qualitative Research on Common Features of Best Practices in the Secondary School Science Classroom. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 23(2), 144-154.
- Kwon, J., & Kim, B. (1994). The Development of an Instrument for the Measurement of Science Process Skills of the Korean Elementary and Middle School Students. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 14(3), 251-264.
- Kwon, Y., Jeong, J., Kang, M., & Kim, Y. (2003). A Grounded Theory on the Process of Generating Hypothesis Knowledge about Scientific Episodes. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 23(5), 458-469.
- Kwon, Y., Jeong, J., Park, Y., & Kang, M. (2003). A Philosophical Study on the Generating Process of Declarative Scientific Knowledge - Focused on Inductive, Abductive, and Deductive Processes. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 20(3), 214-229.
- Kim, S., Kim, M., Lee, E., Ha, M., Kim, D., Kim, J., Cha, H., Kim, S., Kang, S., & Kim, J. (2007). Development of Test of Science Inquiry Skills (TSIS) for Middle School Students. The Korean Journal of Biology Education, 35(2), 163-177.
- Olarewaju, A. O. (1987). Relative effects of hierarchical versus non-hierarchical learning tasks on student's achievement in biology. Research in Science and Technological Education, 5(1), 17-24. https://doi.org/10.1080/0263514870050103
- Park, H., Kim, Y., & Jeon. (2008). An Analysis of the Knowledge State Related to Area Measurement of Plane Figures. Secondary Education Research, 56(2), 169-196. https://doi.org/10.25152/ser.2008.56.2.169
- Park, J. (2012). A Survey of Elementary-students' Concepts about Electric Circuits. New Physics: Sae Mulli, 62(8), 848-855. https://doi.org/10.3938/NPSM.62.848
- Park, M., Park, Y., & Kwon, Y. (2005). Types and Their Changes of Elementary Students' Methods and Targets of Scientific Observation on Aquariums. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 24(4), 345-350.
- Park, S. (2010). Misconception of the Force in Scientifical Gifted Through the Knowledge State Analysis. Journal of Gifted/Talented Education, Journal of Gifted/Talented Education, 20(3), 1027-1037.
- Park, S., Byun, D., Lee, H., Kim, J., & Yuk, K. (2005). A Look at the Physics Concept Hierarchy of Pre-service Physics Teacher Through the Knowledge State Analysis Method. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 25(7), 746-753.
- Ross, J. A. (1988). Controlling variables: A meta analysis of training studies. Review of Educational Research, 58(4), 405-437. https://doi.org/10.3102/00346543058004405
- Son, Y. (2011). Analysis of Pre-service Science Teacher's Perceptions and Their Science Class by the Explicit Teaching and Learning Strategies on Basic Science Process Skills. The Korean Journal of Biology Education, 39(4), 562-580.
- Song, K., Lee, H., & Lim, C. (2004). Development of a Test of Science Inquiry Skills for Elementary School Fifth and Sixth Graders. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 24(6), 1245-1255.
- Vasques, J. A. (2008). Tools & traits: Highly effective science teaching, K-8. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
- Veermans, M., Lallimo, J., & Hakarainen, K. (2005). Patterns of guidance in inquiry learning. Journal of Interactive Learning research, 16(2), 179-194.
- Zimmerman, C. (2000). The development of scientific Reasoning skills. Development Review, 20(1), 99-149. https://doi.org/10.1006/drev.1999.0497
- Ad-El-Khalick, F., Bell, R. L., & Lederman, N. G. (1998). The nature of science and instructional practice: Making the unnatural. Science Education, 82, 417-436. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-237X(199807)82:4<417::AID-SCE1>3.0.CO;2-E
- Abd-El-Khalick, F., Boujaoude, S., Duschl, R., Lederman, N. G., Mamlok-Naaman, R., Hofstein, A., Niaz, m., Treagust, D., & Tuan, H. (2004). Inquiry in science education: International perspectives. Science education, 88(3), 397-419. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.10118
- Akerson, V. L., & Hanuscin, D. L. (2007). Teaching nature of science through inquiry: Results of a 3-year professional development program. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 44(5), 653-680. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.20159
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). (1990). Science-A Process Approach II. New Hampshire: Delta Education, INC.
- Anderson, R. D. (2002). Reforming science teaching: What research says about inquiry. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 13(1), 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1015171124982