- Volume 35 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
International Comparative Study of the Use of ICT by Middle School Teachers
중학교 과학 교사의 ICT 활용 실태 국제 비교
- Lee, Jaebong (Korea Institute for Curriculum and Evaluation)
- 이재봉 (한국교육과정평가원)
- Received : 2015.09.30
- Accepted : 2015.10.26
- Published : 2015.10.31
In this study, we compared the use of information and communications technology (ICT) by middle school teachers in Korea and other countries utilizing the teacher survey data of the IEA International Computer and Information Literacy Study (ICILS) 2013. The ICILS target population consisted of all students in the eighth grade. We compared Korea with Australia, the Czech Republic, Norway, and Poland, which are nations showing the highest achievements in computer and information literacy. We selected nine questions from the teacher questionnaire and divided them into the categories of computer use, use of ICT for teaching and learning, and the ICT support environment in school. In comparison to their counterparts in other countries, Korean middle school science teachers used computers frequently and also had high ICT self-efficacy. They were confident in their ability to use computers for general tasks, but not in their ability to use computers for teaching and learning. The Korean teachers also had a high percentage of utilization of presentation and graphics software. Also, the proportion of activities concerning the information provided and teacher-led tasks was high, but the proportion of activities for student collaboration or peer interaction was low. In Korea, middle school science teachers had more negative than positive views of using ICT in teaching and learning. The teachers thought that computer-related resource support and digital learning materials were insufficient and that the computer model was outdated in schools. Therefore, we propose to build an ICT infrastructure and to develop and disseminate ICT teaching and learning methods for student activities.
ICT;science teacher;education using computer;educational informatization
- Cho, J., Yoo, H., Kim, H., & Park, S. (2004). A Study on Development and Effect of Information Communication Technology (ICT) Based Science Unit- Focusing on 'Reproduction' of Science 10. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 24(2), 193-201.
- European Commission. (2013). Survey of Schools: ICT in Education- Benchmarking Access, Use and Attitudes to Technology in Europe's Schools. Brussels: Author.
- Fraillon, J., Ainley, J., Schulz, W., Friedman, T., & Gebhardt, E. (2014). Preparing for life in a digital age: The IEA International Computer and Information Literacy Study international report. Cham: Springer.
- Fraillon, J., Schulz, W., & Ainley, J. (2013). International Computer and Information Literacy Study: Assessment framework. Amsterdam: IEA.
- Heo, G. (2013). Computer-Aided Education : Multi-Level Analysis on the Using ICT Ability and Using Computers for Learning through PISA 2009 Data. The Journal of Korean association of computer education, 16(1), 51-61.
- Jung, J., Moon, B., Jung, J., & Lee, M. (2004). The Effects of Learning Using Information Communication Technology(ICT) in Earth History and Crust Movement Units of Science Textbook for Eighth Graders. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 24(6), 1094-1105.
- Jung, M., & Carstens, R. (Eds.). (2015). ICILS 2013 user guide for the international database. Amsterdam: IEA.
- International Association for the Evaluation of Educational Achievement (IEA) (2008). IEA Study Data Repository. Retrieved May. 15, 2015 from http://rms.iea-dpc.org/.
- Kim, H., Park, H., & Seo, J. (2008). Impact of ICT in Education in PISA 2006. Seoul: KERIS.
- Kim, Y., Seo, J., & Kim, Y. (2011), A Study on the Use of ICT in Middle School Science Class, Educational Research, 51, 181-204. https://doi.org/10.17253/swueri.2011.51..007
- Kim, S., Park, J., Chon, K., Kim, M., Lee, Y., Seo, J., & Kim, M. (2014). Finding from ICILS for Korea: ICILS 2013 international results. Seoul: KICE.
- Ministry of Education. (2000). Guidelines for Information and Communication Technology in Elementary and Middle school. Seoul: Ministry of Education.
- Ministry of Education and Human Resources Development. (2007). Science Curriculum. Seoul: Ministry of Education and Human Resources Development.
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology. (2009). Science Curriculum. Seoul: Ministry of Education Science and Technology.
- Ministry of Education & KERIS. (2014). 2014 White Paper on ICT in education Korea. Seoul: KERIS.
- Noh, T., Cha, J., & Kim, C. (1999). The Effect of Computer - Assisted Instruction Using Molecular - Level Animation and Worksheet in High School Chemistry Class. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 19(1), 128-136.
- Sung, J., & Kim, H. (2015). Analysis on the International Comparison of Computer Education in Schools. The Journal of Korean association of computer education, 18(1), 45-54.
- Seehorn, D., Carey, S., Fuschetto, B., Lee, I., Moix, D., O'Grady-Cuniff, D., Boucher Owens, B., Stephenson, C., & Verno, A. (2011). CSTA K-12 Computer Science Standards. New York: ACM/CSTA publications.