- Volume 17 Issue 5
This study evaluates the objective and subjective hand as well as the preference for hand and outdoor jackets on laminated waterproof breathable fabrics with different constituent characteristics to identify those best suited for consumer needs. Mechanical properties and objective hands were measured by the KES-FB system. The subjective hand and the preference of laminated waterproof breathable fabric for outdoor jackets were rated by the 20's and 30's women experts with tactile and visual senses that utilized a questionnaire with a seven-point semantic differential scale; subsequently, the flexibility and compressive elasticity of laminated waterproof breathable fabrics were low. However, light and thin waterproof breathable fabrics with a smooth surface had high scores in smoothness, fullness & softness and total hand value. In addition, laminated waterproof breathable fabrics were classified into three hand factors: flexibility, density, and surface properties. There were significant differences on flexibility and surface property perceptions, hand and out-door jackets preferences according to the characteristics of waterproof breathable fabrics. The hand preference of the laminated waterproof breathable fabric improved with decreasing 2HB and increasing EM. However, EM showed positive effect for outdoor jacket preferences. Those that were flexible and smooth were preferred for outdoor jackets.
laminated waterproof breathable fabric;mechanical properties;objective hand;subjective hand;preference
- Cho, G. S., Chung, H. W., Song, K. H., Kwon, Y. A., & Yoo, S. J. (2010). New textiles. Seoul: East weat institute.
- 'Domestic travel trend of Korean by keyword'. (2015, May 8). Yon-Hap News. Retrieved July 7, 2015, from http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/
- Jeong, W. Y., & An, S. K. (2002). A study on physical and mechanical properties of breathable waterproof fabrics manufactured with PTFE membrane-fabric composite. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 26(12), 1685-1693.
- Kang, Y. K. (2007). Physico biological properties and membrane characteristic of the electrospun polyurethane web. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Kawabata, S. (1980). The standardization and analysis of hand evaluation(2nd ed.). The Textile Machinery Society of Japan: Osaka.
- Kim, S. R. (2009). Textiles. Seoul: Kyomunsa.
- Kwak, J. M. (2013). Research and statistical analysis. Seoul: Informa.
- Kwon, N. S., & Kwon, J. (2008). A study on the dynamic performance of waterproof and breathable materials. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 58(4), 26-34.
- Lee, K. L., Lee, J. H., Jin, E. J., Yang, Y. J., & Cho, G. S. (2012). Basic and mechanical properties by film type to minimize the sound pressure level of PTFE laminated vapor-permeable water-repellent fabrics. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 14(4), 641-647. doi:10.5805/KSCI.2012.14.4.641 https://doi.org/10.5805/KSCI.2012.14.4.641
- Mukhopadhyay, A., & Midha, V. K. (2008). A review on designing the waterproof breathable fabrics part I: Fundamental principles and designing aspects of breathable fabrics. Journal of Industrial Textiles, 37(3), 225-262. doi:10.1177/1528083707082164 https://doi.org/10.1177/1528083707082164
- Postle, R., & Dhingra, R. C. (1989). Measuring and interpreting lowstress fabric mechanical and surface properties Part III: Optimization of fabric properties for men's. Suiting materials. Textile Research Journal, 59(8), 448-459. doi:10.1177/004051758905900803 https://doi.org/10.1177/004051758905900803
- Qi, H., Sui, K., Ma Z., Wang, D., Sun, X,. & Lu, J. (2002). Polymeric fluorocarbon-coated polyester substrates for waterproof breathable fabrics. Textile Research Journal, 72(2), 93-97. doi:10.1177/004051750207200201 https://doi.org/10.1177/004051750207200201
- Roh, E. K., & Kim, S. H. (2010). Subjective hand and sensibility of knit fabrics according to preference segmentation. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 34(10), 1611-1620. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2010.34.10.1611
- Roh, E. K., & Oh, K. W. (2013). Surface properties of artificial suedes. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 15(2), 309-315. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2013.15.2.309 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2013.15.2.309
- Roh, E. K., & Ryu, H. S. (2007). Structural equation model(SEM) for constituent characteristics, texture, sensibility and preference of fabric(Part 1)-Weight of F/W women's jacket fabrics-. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 31(8), 1240-1251. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2007.31.8.1240
- Roh, E. K., Oh, K. W., & Kim, S. H. (2013). Classification of synthetic polyurethane leather by mechanical properties according to consumers' preference for fashion items. Fibers and Polymers, 14(10), 1731-1738. doi:10.1007/s12221-013-1731-x https://doi.org/10.1007/s12221-013-1731-x
- 'Stagnation of outdoor, must change to live, business strategies modification'. (2015, May 29). Moneytoday News. Retrieved July 7, 2015, from http://www.mt.co.kr/
- Mechanical Properties and Sensibility Evaluation of Jacquard Fabric with Optical Fiber vol.19, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2017.19.1.240
- Comparison of Physical Properties of Medical Compression Stocking Materials vol.19, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2017.19.6.759
- Effect of Washing Conditions on Dimensional Change and Mechanical Properties in Polyester/Spandex Knit Fabric vol.20, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2018.20.1.93
- A Study on Usage and Satisfaction of Newborn Clothing: Focused on Baenaet Jeogori vol.20, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2018.20.3.312
Supported by : 한국연구재단