- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Habitat Quality Valuation Using InVEST Model in Jeju Island
InVEST 모델을 이용한 서식처 가치 평가 - 제주도를 중심으로 -
Kim, Teayeon;Song, Cholho;Lee, Woo-Kyun;Kim, Moonil;Lim, Chul-Hee;Jeon, Seong Woo;Kim, Joonsoon
- Received : 2015.02.23
- Accepted : 2015.10.25
- Published : 2015.10.31
Jeju Island is managed intensively in terms of environmental and ecological aspect because of its extraordinary ecosystem types comprising numerous rare, protected flora and fauna. To depict rapid change of habitat status in Jeju Island, the InVEST Habitat Quality model has been operated and compared analytically with the Eco-Natural map. The Habitat Quality map of Jeju Island is turned out to have similar inclination with Eco-Natural map. We compared the average habitat quality value in each Eco-natural map class in Jeju Island and the habitat quality value of first second third grade and non-included area decreased as 0.95 0.76, 0.53 and 0.37 in eco natural map respectively. Compared to biodiversity map based on biological investigation, the result of the InVEST habitat quality model can be simply obtained by land cover map with threat and sensitivity data. Further studies are needed to make explicit coefficients for Jeju Island and Korean peninsula, then the Habitat Quality model could be applied to past and future scenarios to analyze extent of habitat degradation in time series to help decision makers.
Biodiversity;Eco-Natural map;Land cover map;Ecosystem services;Environmental impact assessment
- Alkemade, R.․Van Oorschot, M.․Miles, L.․ Nellemann, C.․Bakkenes, M. and ten Brink, B. 2009. GLOBIO3: A framework to investigate options for reducing global terrestrial biodiversity loss. Ecosystems 12(3): 374-390. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10021-009-9229-5
- Bagstad, K. J.․Semmens, D. J. and Winthrop, R. 2013. Comparing approaches to spatially explicit ecosystem service modeling: A case study from the San Pedro River, Arizona. Ecosystem Services 5: 40-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoser.2013.07.007
- Baral, H.․Keenan, R. J.․Sharma, S. K.․Stork, N. E. and Kasel, S. 2014. Spatial assessment and mapping of biodiversity and conservation priorities in a heavily modified and fragmented production landscape in north-central Victoria, Australia. Ecological Indicators 36: 552-562. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2013.09.022
- Bartholome, E.․Eickhout, B.․Beuchle, R.․ Eva, H.․Fritz, S.․Hartley, A.․Mayaux, P.․ Stibig, H-J. 2004. Global land cover for the year 2000. European Commission, Joint Research Centre.
- Costanza, R.․d'Arge, R.․de Groot, R.․Farber, S.․Grasso, M.․Hannon, B.․Limburg, Karin.․Naeem, S.․O'Neill R. V.․Paruelo, J.․Raskin, R. G.․Sutton, P. and Belt, M. V. D. 1998. The value of the world's ecosystem services and natural capital. Nature 387: 253-260.
- de Groot, R.․Wilson, M. A. and Boumans, R. M. 2002. A typology for the classification, description and valuation of ecosystem functions, goods and services. Ecological economics 41(3): 393-408. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-8009(02)00089-7
- Faith, D. P.․Ferrier, S. and Walker, P. A. 2004. The ED strategy: how species-level surrogates indicate general biodiversity patterns through an 'environmental diversity' perspective. Journal of Biogeography 31(8): 1207-1217. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2699.2004.01145.x
- Ferrier, S. 2002. Mapping spatial pattern in biodiversity for regional conservation planning: where to from here? Systematic biology 51(2): 331-363. https://doi.org/10.1080/10635150252899806
- Fischer, F.․Lindenmayer, D. B. and Manning, A. D. 2006. Biodiversity, ecosystem function, and resilience: ten guiding principles for commodity production landscapes. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 4: 80-86. https://doi.org/10.1890/1540-9295(2006)004[0080:BEFART]2.0.CO;2
- Geijzendorffer, I. R. and Roche, P. K. 2013. Can biodiversity monitoring schemes provide indicators for ecosystem services? Ecological Indicators. 33: 148-157. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2013.03.010
- Guerry, A. D.․Ruckelshaus, M. H.․Arkema, K. K.․Bernhardt, J. R.․Guannel, G.․Kim, C. K.․Marsik, M.․Papenfus, M.․Toft, J. E.․Verutes, G.․Wood, S. A.․Beck, M.․ Chan, F.․Chan, K. M. A.․Gelfenbaum, G.․ Gold, B. D.․Halpern, B. S.․Labiosa, W. B.․ Lester, S. E.․Levin, P. S.․McField, M.․ Pinsky, M. L.․Plummer, M.․Polasky, S.․ Ruggiero, P.․Sutherland, D. A.․Tallis, H.․ Day, A. and Spencer, J. 2012. Modeling benefits from nature: using ecosystem services to inform coastal and marine spatial planning. International Journal of Biodiversity Science, Ecosystem Services and Management 8(1-2): 107-121. https://doi.org/10.1080/21513732.2011.647835
- Hassan, R.․Scholes, R. and Ash, N. 2005. Ecosystems and human well-being: current state and trends: finding of the Condition and Trends Working group. Washington D.C: Island Press.
- Hulse, D.․Gregory, S. and Baker, J. 2002. Willamette River Basin Planning Atlas: Trajectories of environmental and ecological change. Oregon: Oregon State University Press.
- Jeju Special Self-Governing Province. 2013. The framework ordinance on environment. (in Korean)
- Jung YH. 2005. Conservation and utilization of Jeju biodiversity. Proceedings of the 37th conference of Korean Journal of Breeding Science. Jeju: Korean Journal of Breeding Science. p. 89. (in English)
- Jeon SW․Kim JU and Jung HC. 2013. A Study on the Forest Classification for Ecosystem Services Valuation -Focused on Forest Type Map and Landcover Map-. The Korea Society of Environmental Restoration Technology 16(3): 31-39. (in Korean with English summary)
- Jeon YM. 2014. UNESCO triple crown Jeju, Jeju World Natural Heritage Center. (in English)
- Kim JY․Seo CW․Kwon HS․Ryu JE and Kim MJ. 2012. A study on the species distribution modeling using national ecosystem survey data. Journal of Korean society of environmental impact assessment 21(4): 593-607. (in Korean with English summary)
- Korean Statistical Information Service(KOSIS). 2015. http://kosis.kr/
- Krishnaswamy, J.․Bawa, K. S.․Ganeshaiah, K. N. and Kiran, M. C. 2009. Quantifying and mapping biodiversity and ecosystem services: Utility of a multi-season NDVI based Mahanobis distance surrogate. Remote Sensing of Environment 113: 857-867. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2008.12.011
- Leh, M. D.․Matlock, M. D.․Cummings, E. C. and Nalley, L. L. 2013. Quantifying and mapping multiple ecosystem services change in West Africa. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 165: 6-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2012.12.001
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment (MA). 2005. Ecosystems and Human Well-being. Millennium Ecosystem Assessment. Washington D.C.: Island Press.
- Ministry of Environment. 2009. Drawing guideline of Eco-natural map. (in Korean)
- Ministry of Environment. 2013. Revision of a part for Eco-natural map. (in Korean)
- National Transport Information Center. 2015. http://nodelink.its.go.kr/data/data01.aspx (in Korean)
- Sharp, R.․Tallis, H. T.․Ricketts, T.․Guerry, A. D.․Wood, S. A.․Chaplin-Kramer, R.․ Nelson, E.․Ennaanay, D.․Wolny, S.․ Olwero, N.․Vigerstol, K.․Pennington, D.․Mendoza, G.․Aukema, J.․Foster, J.․ Forrest, J.․Cameron, D.․Arkema, K.․ Lonsdorf, E.․Kennedy, C.․Verutes, G.․ Kim, C. K.․Guannel, G.․Papenfus, M.․ Toft, J.․Marsik, M.․Bernhardt, J.․Griffin, R.․Glowinski, K.․Chaumont, N.․Perelman, A.․Lacayo, M.․Mandle, L.․Griffin, R. and Hamel, P. 2014. InVEST tip User''s Guide. Stanford: The Natural Capital Project.
- Song CH․Lee WK․Choi HA․Jeon SW․Kim JW․Kim JS․Kim JT. 2015. Application of InVEST water yield model for assessing forest water provisioning ecosystem service. Journal of the Korean Association of Geographic Information Studies 18(1): 120-134.
- Terrado, M.․Sabater, S.․Chaplin-Kramer, B.․ Mandle, L.․Ziv, G. and Acuna, V. 2015. Model development for the assessment of terrestrial and aquatic biodiversity in conservation planning. Science of the total environment (in press).
- The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity (TEEB). 2009. TEEB for national and international policy makers. Geneva: United Nations Environment Programme.
- UK National Ecosystem Assessment. 2011. The UK National Ecosystem Assessment Technical Report. Cambridge: UNEP-WCMC.
- Yun YT. 2010. The trio of lifee-eco-peace played in Jeju Island. Journal of the Daedong Philosophical Association 51: 51-77. (in Korean)
- Jung HJ. 2006. A prospect of ecotourism as a sustainable future strategy for Jeju Special-Governing Province. Journal of the Korean Urban Geographical Society 9(3): 57-68. (in English with Korean summary)
Supported by : 환경부