- Volume 21 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Public Attitudes to Saemangeum Development Project and Its Effects on Marine Environment
새만금 개발사업이 해양환경에 미치는 영향에 대한 인식
Baek, Min-Ji;Choi, Hyo-Yeon;Yoo, Seung-Hoon
- Received : 2015.09.21
- Accepted : 2015.10.27
- Published : 2015.10.31
This paper attempts to analyze the public's attitudes about the Saemangeum development project and its impact on marine environment with the data from a national survey of 1,000 households obtained by a professional survey firm with face-to-face interviews using two split samples: a sample of 400 households in on-site area (Saemangeum area) and a sample of 600 households in off-site area (the nation except for Saemanguem area). More specifically, ordered probit model is employed to investigating the factors affecting the public attitudes to the Saemanguem development project. The results show that over 70 percentage of respondents in both the samples opposed Saemanguem development project when they considered its economic gain and impacts on marine environment at the same time. Futhermore, over 90 percentage of respondents judged that environmental management of Saemanguem open sea is necessary. Therefore, making appropriate actions are required to manage marine environment of Saemanguem open sea.
Saemanguem development project;Environmental impacts;Investigation of awareness;Public attitudes;Ordered probit model
- Elliott, E., B. J. Seldon and J. L. Regens(1997), Political and Economic Determinants of Individuals' Support for Environmental Spending, Journal of Environmental Management, Vol. 51, pp. 15-27. https://doi.org/10.1006/jema.1996.0129
- Jeong, Y. H. and J. S. Yang(2015), The Long-term Variations of Water Qualities in the Saemangeum Salt-Water Lake after the Sea-dike Construction, Journal of the Korean Society for Marine Environment and Energy, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 51-63. https://doi.org/10.7846/JKOSMEE.2015.18.2.51
- Jones, R. E., K. L. Davis and J. Bradford(2012), The Value of Trees: Factors Influencing Homeowner Support for Protecting Local Urban Trees, Environment and Behavior, Vol. 45, No. 5, pp. 650-676.
- Kim, J.(2007), The Impacts of a Large-scale Reclamation Project on the Life of Local Residents, The Research of Environmental Sociology ECO, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 285-316.
- Kim, M. S., J. H. Kim, J. Y. Jang and J. R Jang(2013), A Social Network Analysis on Stakeholders of Watershed Management in Saemanguem area, The Research of Environmental Sociology ECO, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 227-274.
- Ku, D. W. and D. W. Hong(2011), Social effects of Saemanguem project, The Research of Environmental Sociology ECO, Vol. 15, No.2, pp. 39-80.
- Lie, H. J.(2006), Changing Phases in Coastal Environment of the Saemangeum Area by Tideland Reclamation Project, Mid-west of Korea, Ocean and Polar Research, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 353-360. https://doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2006.28.3.353
- Moon, Y. E., C. H. Lee and E D. Heang(2012), Analysis of Conflict in the Village Community Resulting from Saemangeum Project, Journal of Regional Studies, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 87-111.
- Mostafavi, A., D. Abraham and A. Vives(2014), Exploratory Analysis of Public Perceptions of Innovative Financing for Infrastructure Systems in the U.S., Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Vol. 70, pp. 10-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tra.2014.10.002
- Ryu, J. S., J. S. Kim, S. J. Hong, J. S. Park, B. O. Kwon, S. J. Song, J. H. Nam and W. K. Chang(2014), Environmental and Ecological History of the Saemangeum Tidal Flat Ecosystem before and after Dike Construction, 2014 Fall Conference of the Korean Society for Marine Environment and Energy, Seoul Univ., pp. 18-19.
- The Marine Environmental Assessment of Reclamation on the Habitat of Marine Endangered Species : Case Study on the Habitat of Clithon Retropictus and Ellobium Chinense vol.30, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2018.08.30.4.1439
Grant : 새만금 주변해역 해양환경 및 생태계관리 연구개발