- Volume 21 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Comparative Study of Wave Height Estimation base on X-band Radar
X-band 레이더 기반 파고 추정 방법 비교 연구
Yang, Young-Jun;Park, Jun-Soo;Park, Seung-Geun;Kwon, Sun-Hong
- Received : 2015.09.10
- Accepted : 2015.10.27
- Published : 2015.10.31
This paper presents a comparative study of wave height estimation method that was used for signal to noise ratio and shadowing ratio based on X-band marine radar. If the signal to noise ratio, and is widely used as a method for estimating an wave height, a new method is presented for shadowing ratio. In the case of radar images used in this study it is measuring the data from the coast of Ulsan Jujeon, compared with marine meteorological information from the Meteorological Agency measured a light beacon. We compared the measured data for about 34 days, the typhoon was measured, incluidng a period in the East Sea, and verify the results for various distribution of wave height. For estimate wave height using a shadowing ratio analysis, it does not require calibration and real-time advantages of this part, coming confirmed the possibility of the measurement, the cause detection error for radar image was caused due to determine.
Wave height estimation;X-band radar;Shadowing ratio;Signal to noise ratio;Calibration
- Atanassov, V., W. Rosenthal and F. Ziemer(1985), "Removal of ambiguity of two-dimensional power spectra obtained by processing ship radar images of ocean waves," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 90, No. C1, pp. 1061-1067. https://doi.org/10.1029/JC090iC01p01061
- Gangeskar, R.(2014), "An Algorithm for Estimation of Wave Height From Shadowing in X-band Radar Sea Surface Images", IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 52, No. 6, pp. 3373-3381. https://doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.2013.2272701
- Sadiku, M. N. O. and S. R. Nelatury(2006). "A Comparison of Models for Shadowing Functions for Random Rough Surfaces, SoutheastCon, Proceedings of the IEEE, Memphis, pp. 11-15.
- Smith, B. G.(1967), "Geometric shadowing of a random rough surface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol AP-15, No. 5, pp. 668-671.
- Young, I. R., W. Rosenthal and F. Ziemer(1985), "A three-dimensional analysis of marine radar images for the determination of ocean wave directionality and surface currents," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 90, No. C1, pp 1049-1059. https://doi.org/10.1029/JC090iC01p01049
- A Study on the Standardization of Education Modules for ARPA/Radar Simulation vol.22, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2016.22.6.631