- Volume 21 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Hydraulic Characteristic in Surf Zone using the SWASH Model during Typhoon NAKRI(1412) in Haeundae Beach
SWASH 모형을 이용한 태풍 나크리(NAKRI)에 의한 해운대 해수욕장의 쇄파대 수리특성 해석
Lee, Jong-Sup;Park, Myeong-Won;Kang, Min-Ho;Kang, Tae-Soon
- Received : 2015.09.03
- Accepted : 2015.10.27
- Published : 2015.10.31
A hydraulic characteristics in the surf zone such as wave breaking points, wave set-down, wave set-up, wave-induced currents and run-up heights are studied using the SWASH model during Typhoon NAKRI(1412) in Haeundae Beach. Incident wave conditions is obtained from one-hourly observed wave data by KHOA and irregular wave by JONSWAP spectrum is given as an open boundary condition in the model. A Wave-induced current patterns by the SWASH model is compared with the observed currents and sediment flux patterns in that areas, the calculated maximum wave run-up heights in the model is compared with the video monitoring data, the empirical formula by Stockdon et al. and Mase. A dominant longshore currents toward the east of the beach appears due to the effect of incident wave direction and the geographical features and some rip currents occurs at the central part of the beach. The maximum wave run-up height(1.15 m) by the SWASH model shows a similar pattern with the video monitoring data(1.26 m) and the magnitude shows a similar result(1.33m) by Stockdon et al.
Irregular waves;Wave set-up;Wave-induced currents;Maximum wave run-up height;Longshore currents;Rip currents
- Busan Regional Oceans & Fisheries Administration(2015), Report on Project of Coastal Erosion Monitoring for Coastal Maintenance Projects in Haeundae Beach[2nd year].
- Cho, Y. N. and I. H. Park(2010), Applicability of Boussinesq Models for Wave Deformation and Wave-Induced Current. Journal of the Korean society of marine environment & safety. Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 185-193.
- Choi, J. W., W. K. Park and S. B. Yoon(2011), Boussinesq Modeling of a Rip Current at Haeundae Beach. Journal of Korean Society of Coastal and Ocean Engineers, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 276-284. https://doi.org/10.9765/KSCOE.2011.23.4.276
- Jang, S. Y., S. M. Cho, W. K. Park and H. T. Jeong(2014), A Study on Characteristics of Sediment Transport around Myeongseondo at Jinha Beach. Journal of Korean Society of Coastal Disaster Prevention. V. 1, No. 3, pp. 118-125.
- Kennedy, A. B., Q. Chen, J. Kirby and R. A. Dalrymple(2000), Boussinesq Modelling of Wave Transformation, Breaking and Run-up. I: One dimension, J. Waterway, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering, 126, pp. 39-47, 10.1061/(ASCE)cc.1943-5614.0000136. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-950X(2000)126:1(39)
- Kim, I. C., J. Y. Lee and J. L. Lee(2010), Generation Mechanism and Numerical Simulation of Rip Current at Haeundae Beach. J. of Korean Society of Coastal and Ocean Engineers, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 70-78.
- Lee, Y. K., I. H. Park and J. S. Lee(2005), A 2-D Numerical Model of Longshore Currents due to Irregular Waves, Proc. of the 3rd Inter. Conf. of APAC, pp. 223-226.
- Longuet-Higgins, M. S.(1970), Longshore currents generated by obliquely incident sea wave. 1, 2, J.Geophys. Res., Vol. 75, pp. 6778-6801. https://doi.org/10.1029/JC075i033p06778
- Longuet-Higgins, M. S. and R. W. Stewart(1962), Radiation stress and mass transport in gravity waves; with application to surf beat. J. Fluid Mech., Vol. 13, pp. 481-504. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112062000877
- Longuet-Higgins, M. S. and R. W. Stewart(1964), Radiation stresses in water wave; a physical discussion, with applications. Deep-Sea Research, Vol. 11, pp. 529-562.
- Mase, H.(1989), Random Wave Runup Height on Gentle Slope. Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal, and Ocean Engineering, Vol. 115, 5, pp. 649-661. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-950X(1989)115:5(649)
- Miche, M.(1944), Movements Ondulatoires des Mers en Profondeur Constante ou Decroissante, Annales des Ponts et Chaussees, Tome 114, pp. 131-164, pp. 270-292, pp. 369-406.
- Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries(2014), Report on coastal erosion Monitoring in 2014.
- Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries(2015), Kickoff Report on development of coastal erosion countermeasures technique[3rd year].
- Smit, P., M. Zijlema and G. Stelling(2013), Depth-induced wave breaking in a non-hydrostatic, near-shore wave model. Coast. Engng., 76, pp. 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coastaleng.2013.01.008
- Stelling, G. S. and S. P. A. Duinmeijer(2003), A staggered conservative scheme for every Froude number in rapidly varied shallow water flows. Int. J. Numer. Meth. Fluids, 43, pp. 1329-1354. https://doi.org/10.1002/fld.537
- Stelling, G. and M. Zijlema(2003), An accurate and efficient finite-difference algorithm for non-hydrostatic free-surface flow with application to wave propagation. Int. J. Numer. Meth. Fluids, 43, pp. 1-23. https://doi.org/10.1002/fld.595
- Stockdon, H. F., R. A. Holman, P. A. Howd, J. A. H. Sallenger(2006), Empirical parameterization of setup, swash, and runup. Coast. Eng. 53(7), pp. 573-588. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coastaleng.2005.12.005
- The SWASH team(2010), SWASH USER MANUAL. Delft University of Technology.
- Vilani, M., J. Bosboom, M. Zijlema and M. J. F. Stive(2012), Circulation patterns and shoreline response induced by submerged breakwaters, in: P.J. Lynett and J.M. Smith (Eds.), Proc. 33th Int. Conf. on Coast. Engng., ASCE, World Scientific Publishing, Singapore, paper no. structures. 25.
- Yoon, J. J.(2014), Non-Hydrostatic Modeling of Wave Transformation and Rip Current Circulation: A Case Study for Haeundae Beach, Korea. Journal of Coastal Research, Special Issue No. 72, pp. 184-189.
- Zijlema, M. and G. S. Stelling(2005), Further experiences with computing non-hydrostatic free-surface flows involving water waves. Int. J. Numer. Meth. Fluids, 48, pp. 169-197. https://doi.org/10.1002/fld.821
- Zijlema, M. and G. S. Stelling(2008), Efficient computation of surf zone waves using the nonlinear shallow water equations with non-hydrostatic pressure. Coast. Engng., 55, pp. 780-790. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coastaleng.2008.02.020
- Zijlema, M., G. Stelling and P. Smit(2011), SWASH: An operational public domain code for simulating wave fields and rapidly varied flows in coastal waters. Coast. Engng., 58, pp. 992-1012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coastaleng.2011.05.015
Supported by : 해양수산부