- Volume 21 Issue 5
The purpose of this study is to reproduce long-term wave fields in coastal waters of Korea based on wave hind-casting modelling and discuss its applications. To validate wind data(NCEP, ECMWF, JMA-MSM), comparison of wind data was done with wave buoy data. JMA-MSM predicted wind data with high accuracy. But due to relatively longer period of ECMWF wind data as compared to that of JMA-MSM, wind data set of ECMWF(2001~2014) was used to perform wave hind-casting modelling. Results from numerical modelling were verified with the observed data of wave buoys installed by Korea Meteorological Administration(KMA) and Korea Hydrographic and Oceanographic Agency(KHOA) on offshore waters. The results agree well with observations at buoy stations, especially during the event periods such as a typhoon. Consequently, the wave data reproduced by wave hind-casting modelling was used to obtain missing data in wave observation buoys. The obtained missing data indicated underestimation of maximum wave height during the event period at some points of buoys. Reasons for such underestimation may be due to larger time interval and resolution of the input wind data, water depth and grid size etc. The methodology used in present study can be used to analyze coastal erosion data in conjunction with a wave characteristic of the event period in coastal areas. Additionally, the method can be used in the coastal disaster vulnerability assessment to generate wave points of interest.
Wave hind-casting modelling;ECMWF Wind dataset;Wave buoy;Wave verification
- Booij, N., R. C. Ris and L. H. Holthuijsen(1999), A third-generation wave model for coastal regions: 1. Model description and validation, J. of Geophysical Research, 103(C4), pp. 7649-7666.
- Cho, H. Y., W. M. Jeong and K. C. Jun(2013), Relationship Analysis on the Monitoring Period and Parameter Estimation Error of the Coastal Wave Climate Data, Journal of the Korean Society of Coastal and Ocean Engineers, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 34-39. https://doi.org/10.9765/KSCOE.2013.25.1.34
- Chun, H. S., T. S. Kang, K. M. Ahn, W. M. Jeong, T. R. Kim and D. H. Lee(2014), A Study on the Statistical Characteristics and Numerical Hindcasts of Storm Waves in East Sea, Journal of the Korean Society of Coastal and Ocean Engineers, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 81-95. https://doi.org/10.9765/KSCOE.2014.26.2.81
- Hasselmann, K., T. P. Barnett, E. Bouws, H. Carlson, D. E. Cartwright, E. Enke, J. A. Ewing, H. Gienapp, D. E. Hasselmann, P. Kruseman, A. Meerburg, P. Muller, D. J. Olbers, K. Richter, W. Sell and H. Walden(1973), Measurement of wind wave growth and swell decay during the joint North Sea Wave Project(JONSWAP), Dtsch. Hydrogr. Z. Suppl, Vol. 12(A8), pp. 1-95.
- Jeong, W. M., K. C. Jun, G. W. Kim, S. H. Oh and K. H. Ryu(2012), Shallow-water Design Waves at Gangreung Beach through the Analysis of Long-term Measured Wave Data and Numerical Simulation Using Deepwater Wave Conditions, Journal of the Korean Society of Coastal and Ocean Engineers, Vol. 24, No. 5, pp. 343-351. https://doi.org/10.9765/KSCOE.2012.24.5.343
- Kim, G. W., W. M. Jeong, K. S. Lee, K. Jun and M. E. Lee (2011), Offshore and nearshore wave energy assessment around the Korean Peninsula, Energy, Vol. 36, pp. 1460-1469. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2011.01.023
- Lee, D. Y. and K. C. Jun(2006), Estimation of design wave height for the waters around the Korean peninsula, Ocean Science Journal, Vol. 41, No. 4, pp. 245-254. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03020628
- Seo, K. D., H. D. Kwon and D. Y. Lee(2008), Statistical Characteristics of Deepwater Waves along the Korean Coast, Journal of the Korean Society of Coastal and Ocean Engineers, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 342-354.
- Song, M. S., D. Y. Kim, M. Kim, K. Y. Hong and K. C. Jun(2004), Analysis of wave energy density for Korean coastal sea area based on long-term simulated wave data, Journal of the Korean Society for Marine Environmental Engineers, Vol. 7, pp. 152-157.
- The SWAN team(2008), SWAN Cycle III version 40.72 Technical Documentation, pp. 89-94.
- A Study on the Predictability of Eastern Winter Storm Waves Using Operational Wind Forecasts of KMA vol.30, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.9765/KSCOE.2018.30.5.223
Supported by : 해양수산부