- Volume 21 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Storm Surge Vulnerability Assessment due to Typhoon Attack on Coastal area in Korea
태풍 내습으로 인한 연안역 해일 취약성 평가
Kang, Tae-Soon;Oh, Hyeong-Min;Lee, Hae-Mi;Eum, Ho-Sik
- Received : 2015.09.18
- Accepted : 2015.10.27
- Published : 2015.10.31
In this study, we have estimated the storm surge heights using numerical modeling on coastal area, and then evaluated the vulnerability index by applying the vulnerability assessment techniques. Surge modelling for 27 typhoons affected from 2000 to 2014 were simulated by applying the ADCIRC model. The results of validation and verification was in significant agreement as compared with observations for the top 6 ranking typhoons affected. As results, the storm surge heights in Jinhae Bay, Sacheon Bay, Gwangyang Bay, Cheonsu Bay and Gyeonggi Bay were higher than other inner coastal areas, then storm surge vulnerability assessment was performed using a standardization, normalization and gradation of storm surge heights. According to results of storm surge vulnerability assessment, index of Jinhae Bay, Sacheon Bay, Gwangyang Bay etc. are estimated to be vulnerable(4~5) because of the characteristics of storm surge such as inner bay are vulnerable compared with exposed to the open sea areas. However, index in the inner bay of western Jeonnam are not vulnerable(1~3) relatively. It may not appear the typhoons affected significantly for the past 15 years. So, the long-term vulnerability assessment with the sensitivity of geomorphology are necessary to reduce the uncertainty.
Storm surge modelling;Typhoon;Surge heights;Vulnerability assessment;Index
- Cha, E. J., H. S. Hwang, K. J. Yang, S. H. Won, S. W. Ko, D. H. Kim and H. J. Kwon(2009), Characteristics of Tropical Cyclones over the Western North Pacific in 2008, Atmosphere, Korean Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 183-198.
- Chippada, S., C. N. Dawson and M. F. Wheeler(1996), Parallel computing for finite element models on surface water flows. Computational Methods in Water Resources XI, Computational Mechanics Publications, Southampton, U.K., pp. 63-70.
- Choi, E. S. and I. J. Moon(2008), The Variation of Extreme Values in the Precipitation and Wind Speed during 56 Years in Korea, Atmosphere, Korean Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 397-416.
- Holland, G. J.(1980), An Analytic Model of the Wind and Pressure Profiles in Hurricanes. Mon. Wea. Rev., 108, pp. 1212-1218. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0493(1980)108<1212:AAMOTW>2.0.CO;2
- Kang, J. W.(2015), Typhoon-surge Characteristics in Relation with the Tide-surge Interaction, Journal of Korean Society of Coastal and Ocean Engineers, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 25-37. https://doi.org/10.9765/KSCOE.2015.27.1.25
- Kang, T. S., S. R. Moon, S. Y. Nam and J. S. Shim(2010), The Vulnerability of the Reclaimed Seashore Land Attendant Upon Storm Surge/Coastal Inundation, Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 68-75.
- Kim, D. S., J. M. Kim, G. H. Lee and S. D. Lee(2007), Inundation Analysis Considering Water Waves and Storm Surge in the Coastal Zone, Journal of Korean Society of Coastal and Ocean Engineers, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 35-41.
- Korea Meteorological Administration(2011), Typhoon white paper, pp. 4-6.
- Luettich, R. A. and J. J. Westerink(2004), Formulation and Numerical Implementation of the 2D/3D ADCIRC Finite Element Model Version 44.XX, pp. 18-40.
- Luettich, R. A., Jr., J. J. Westerink and N. W. Scheffner (1992), ADCIRC : an advanced three-dimensional circulation model for shelves, coasts, and esturies, Report 1 : Theory and methodology of ADCIRC-2DDI and ADCIRC-3DL, Coastal Eng, Res. Crt., U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Waterways Experiment Station, Vicksburg, MS., pp. 1-137.
- Ministry of Public Safety and Security(2013), Disaster yearly report in 2012, pp. 17-28.
- Nardo, M., M. Saisana, A. Saltelli and S. Taranta(2005), Tools for Composite Indicators Building, European Communities, p. 52.
- National Typhoon Center (http://typ.kma.go.kr/TYPHOON/), Korea Meterological Administration (last date accessed: 17 October 2015).
- Park, S. J.(2010), Effects of Typhoon's Characteristics on the Storm Surge and Coastal Inundation Simulation, Interdisciplinary Program of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Graduate of Mokpo National University. pp. 50-101.
- SOPAC(2014), Environmental Vulnerability Index, http://gsd.spc.int/environmental-vulnerability-index.
- Suh, S. W. and H. J. Kim(2012), Typhoon Surge Simulation on the West Coast Incorporating Asymmetric Vortex and Wave Model on a Fine Finite Element Grid, Journal of Korean Society of Coastal and Ocean Engineers, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 166-178. https://doi.org/10.9765/KSCOE.2012.24.3.166
- UNEP(2005), Assessing Coastal Vulnerability-Developing a Global Index for Measuring Risk, http://www.unep.org/publications/.
- Xie, L., S. Bao, L. J. Pietrafesa, K. Foley and M. Fuentes (2006), A real-time hurricane surface wind forecasting model: formulation and verification, Monthly Weather Review, Vol. 134, No. 5, pp. 1355-1370. https://doi.org/10.1175/MWR3126.1
- Yoo, G. Y. and I. E. Kim(2008), Development and application of a climate change vulnerability index, Korea Environment Institute, pp. 44-45.
- Yoon, S. B., J. H. Lee, G. H. Kim and J. H. Song(2014), Development of Storm Sewer Numerical Model for Simulation of Coastal Urban Inundation due to Storm Surge and Rainfall, Journal of Korean Society of Coastal and Ocean Engineers, Vol. 26, No. 5, pp. 292-299. https://doi.org/10.9765/KSCOE.2014.26.5.292
- Variation Characteristics of the Groundwater Level of Natural Vegetation and Sandy Beaches vol.19, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7846/JKOSMEE.2016.19.1.62
Supported by : 농촌진흥청