- Volume 19 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Sensor Abstraction for U-health Application Development: Filtering and Summarization for Accuracy Enhancement
유-헬스 앱 개발을 위한 센서 추상화: 정확도 향상을 위한 필터링 및 요약
- Received : 2015.08.18
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2015.10.30
Recently, researches on sensor-based U-health applications that provide personal health information such as blood pressure, body temperature, and glucose, have actively been studied. The health information obtained via sensors, however, may have accuracy problems so that they can not be used unprocessed. This paper proposes a sensor abstraction layer for enhancing the accuracy of sensor readings from biomedical sensors that interact with smart phones. This layer recognizes sensor types and converts sensor readings into a form as specified in ISO/IEEE 11073 Personal Health Standard. When necessary, not only a filtering method that eliminates outlier values from sensor readings but also a summarization method that transforms them into more suitable forms, can also be applied. An android-based development board is used for the evaluation of proposed sensor abstraction layer. The results obtained by applying filtering and summarization show improved accuracy over unprocessed sensor readings of the body temperature and heartbeat sensors.
- T. G. Lee, "Smart healthcare and health-medical information system enforcement strategies," The Journal Korean Institute of Information Technology, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp.41-48, Jan. 2013.
- J. T. Park, S. M. Cheon, and S. J. Ko, "Trend on IOT-board healthcare service and platform," Information and Communications Magazine, Vol. 31, No. 12, pp.25-30, Dec. 2014
- W. S. Ahn, and J. T. Kim, "Blood glucose measurement principles of non-invasive blood glucose meter: focused on the detection methods of blood glucose," Journal of Biomedical Engineering Research, Vol. 33, No. 3, pp. 114-127, Sep. 2012. https://doi.org/10.9718/JBER.2012.33.3.114
- ISO/IEEE 11073-20601TM - Health informatics personal health device communication part 20601: application profile optimized exchange protocol [Internet]. Available: www.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEEE_11073.
- H. N. Park, S. H. Kim, and D. S. Yoo, "Present status and analysis for IEEE 11073 personal health device specializations," The Korean Institute of Communications and Information Sciences, Vol. 37, No. 6, pp.469-475, Jun. 2012. https://doi.org/10.7840/KICS.2012.37.6C.469
- S. B. Eun, S. S. So, and B. H. Kim, "A sensor node operation system supporting sensor abstractions for Ease development of USN applications," Korean Institute of Information Scientists and Engineers, Vol. 36, No. 5, pp.371-379, Oct. 2009.
- J. C. Nam, W. K. Seo, J. S. Bae, and Y. Z. Cho, "Design and development of personal healthcare system based on IEEE 11073/HL7 standards using smartphone," The Korean Institute of Communications and Information Sciences, Vol. 36, No. 12, pp.1556-1564, Dec. 2011. https://doi.org/10.7840/KICS.2011.36B.12.1556
- H. H. Do, J. M. In, and S. K. Lee, "Implementation of ASN.1 converter for applying ISO/IEEE 11073 MDER," Korean Institute of Information Technology, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 19-30, Apr. 2012.
- J. G. Pak, and K. H. Park, "Advanced pulse oximetry system for remote monitoring and management," Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, Vol. 2012, No. 6, pp.1-8, Jun. 2012.
- D. K. Lee, G. H. Bang, S. J. Han, and D. J. Choi, "A design of U-health system on smart phone using ISO/IEEE 11073 PHD standard," in Proceedings of the 2nd World Congress on Computing and Information Technology (WCIT), KualaLumpur: Malaysia, pp.133-138, March, 2014.
- K. M. Kim, "Implementation of ISO/IEEE 11073-10404 monitoring system based on u-health service", Journal of Advanced Navigation Technology, Vol. 18, No. 6, pp.625-632, Dec. 2014. https://doi.org/10.12673/jant.2014.18.6.625
- M. Gupta, J. Gao, C. C. Aggarwal, and J. Han, "Outlier detection for temporal data: a survey," IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp.1-20, Sep. 2014.
- D. Curone, G. M. Bertolotti, A. Cristiani, E. L. Secco, and G. Magenes, "A real-time and self-calibrating algorithm based on triaxial accelerometer signals for the detection of human posture and activity," IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 1098-1105, July. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TITB.2010.2050696
- I. B. Jung, and K. H. Kim, "A study of PPG wave and pulse measurement on radial artery using digital potentiometer and exponentially weighted moving average filter," The Korean Institute of Electrical Engineers, Vol. 63, No. 7, pp. 962-967, Jul. 2014 https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2014.63.7.962
Supported by : 호서대학교