- Volume 19 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Design and Implementation of Trackball Based UI for Efficient Text Entry on Smartwatch
스마트워치에서의 효율적인 문자입력을 위한 트랙볼 센서 기반 UI 설계 및 구현
Lee, Ji-eun;Ahn, Jung-eun;Park, Kyeongsoo;Choi, Go-eun;Moon, Il-Young
- Received : 2015.09.21
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2015.10.30
Recently, wearable devices have gained popularity with familiar form factors and designs of eye-wear and watch to satisfy wearers' various preferences. Since UI/UX of smartphones can not be applied directly on smaller wearable devices, text entry on wearable devices is still problematic. In this paper, we first identify UI/UX problems of existing input methods and propose a new input method for wearable devices specifically targeting smartwatch platforms. We design and implement an efficient text entry method for wearable devices using trackball sensor and evaluate its performance and usability.
Wearable device;Smartwatch;Text entry;Input method;Trackball
- J. E. Seo, "What is the marketing strategy of smart watch as appcessory?," Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information Market Report, Vol. 4, Issue 9, pp. 8-11, 2014.11.
- H. S. Yoon, J. E. Lee, and K. T. Lee, "A survey of research trends on smart watch interaction," in Proceeding of the Korea Computer Congress 2015, Jeju-do: Korea, pp. 371-373, 2015.
- Minuum Keyboard, "Typing on android wear" [Internet]. Available : http://minuum.com/typing-on-android-wear/
- 5 Tiles Keyboard, "The keyboard designed for the future 5-tiles" [Internet]. Available : http://fivetiles.com/
- R. Xiao, G. Laput, and C. Harrison, "Expanding the input expressivity of smartwatches with mechanical pan, twist, tilt and click," in Proceeding of the Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems 2014, Toronto: Canada, pp. 193-196, 2014.
- G. Laput, R. Xiao, X. Chen, S. E. Hudson, and C. Harrison, "Skin buttons: cheap, small, low-power and clickable fixed-icon laser projections," in Proceeding of the User Interface Software and Technology Symposium 2014, Hawaii: HI, pp. 389-394, 2014.
- M. Ogata and M. Imai, "Skinwatch: skin gesture interaction for smart watch,"in Proceeding of the Augmented Human 2015, Singapore: Singapore, pp. 21-24, 2015.
- Wikipedia, "Hangul" [Internet]. Available: https://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/%ED%95%9C%EA%B8%80.
- H. S. Kim, "Research on the korean language frequency 2", The National Institute of The Korean Language, Seoul: Korea, Research Report CM00017529, pp. 1-780, 2005.