- Volume 4 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Design and Simulation of Depth-Encoding PET Detector using Wavelength-Shifting (WLS) Fiber Readout
- An, Su Jung ;
- Kim, Hyun-il ;
- Lee, Chae Young ;
- Song, Han Kyeol ;
- Park, Chan Woo ;
- Chung, Young Hyun
- Received : 2015.10.14
- Accepted : 2015.10.25
- Published : 2015.10.31
We propose a new concept for a depth of interaction (DOI) positron emission tomography (PET) detector based on dual-ended-scintillator (DES) readout for small animal imaging. The detector consists of lutetium yttrium orthosilicate (LYSO) arrays coupled with orthogonal wavelength-shifting (WLS) fibre placed on the top and bottom of the arrays. On every other line, crystals that are 2 mm shorter are arranged to create grooves. WLS fibre is inserted into these grooves. This paper describes the design and performance evaluation of this PET detector using Monte Carlo simulations. To investigate sensitivity by crystal size, five types of PET detectors were simulated. Because the proposed detector is composed of crystals with three different lengths, degradation in sensitivity across the field of view was also explored by simulation. In addition, the effect of DOI resolution on image quality was demonstrated. The simulation results proved that the devised PET detector with excellent DOI resolution is helpful for reducing the channels of sensors/electronics and minimizing gamma ray attenuation and scattering while maintaining good detector performance.
Computer-aided design;Modelling;Monte-carlo simulation;Positron emission tomography (PET);Depth of interaction (DOI)
- R. Yao et al., "Small-animal PET what is it, and why do we need it?," J. Nucl. Med. Techno, Vol. 40, pp. 157-165, May 2012. https://doi.org/10.2967/jnmt.111.098632
- P. D. Cutler et al., "Design features and performance of a PET system for animal research," Journal of Nuclear Medicine Vol. 33, pp. 595-604, April 1992.
- M. Watanabe et al., "A high resolution PET for animal studies" IEEE Trans. Med. Imag. Vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 577-580, December 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/42.192694
- S. R. Cherry et al., "MicroPET a high resolution PET scanner for imaging small animals," IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. Vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 1161-1166, Jun 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/23.596981
- M. Bergeron et al., "Performance evaluation of the LabPET APD-based digital PET scanner," IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. Vol. 56, no. 1, pp 10-16, February 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNS.2008.2010257
- H. W. de Jong et al., "Performance evaluation of the ECAT HRRT an LSO-LYSO double layer high resolution, high sensitivity scanner," Phys. Med. Biol. Vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 1505-1526, February 2007. https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/52/5/019
- Y. Wang et al., "Performance evaluation of the GE Healthcare eXplore VISTA dual-ring small-animal PET scanner," J. Nucl. Med. Vol. 47, no. 11, pp. 1891-1900, November 2006.
- J. Seidel et al., "Resolution uniformity and sensitivity of the NIH ATLAS small animal PET scanner comparison to simulated LSO scanners without depth-of-interaction capability," IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. Vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 1347-1350, October 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNS.2003.817282
- S. Surti et al., "Design evaluation of A-PET a high sensitivity animal PET camera," IEEE Trans.Nucl. Sci. Vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 1357-1363, October 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNS.2003.817950
- K. Ziemonsa et al., "The ClearPETTM project development of a 2nd generation high-performance small animal PET scanner," Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res. A Vol. 537, no. 1-2, pp. 307-311, January 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nima.2004.08.032
- H. Peng et al., "Recent developments in PET," Instrumentation Curr Pharm Biotechnol. vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 555-571, July 2010. https://doi.org/10.2174/138920110792246555
- S.R. Cherry et al., Physics in Nuclear Medicine 3rd ed. (Saunders) pp. 334-336, 2003
- J. Zhang et al., "Study of the performance of a novel 1 mm resolution dual-panel PET camera design dedicated to breast cancer imaging using Monte Carlo simulation," Med. Phys. Vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 689-702, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1118/1.2409480
- T. Tsuda et al., "A four-layer depth of interaction detector block for small animal PET," IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. Vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 2537-2542, October 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNS.2004.835739
- Y.H. Chung et al., "Performance measurements of a depth-encoding TraPET detector module," Jinst. Vol. 6 C11032, November 2011. https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-0221/6/11/C11032
- M. Ito et al., "Continuous depth-of-interaction measurement in a single-layer pixelated crystal array using a single-ended readout." Phys. Med. Biol. Vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 1269-1282, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/58/5/1269
- Y. H. Chung et al., "Preliminary experimental results of a quasi-monolithic detector with DOI capability for a small animal PET," Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res. A, Vol. 621, no. 1-3, pp. 590-594, September 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nima.2010.04.039
- Y.H. Chung et al., "TraPET High performance small animal PET with trapezoidal phoswich detector," Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res. A Vol. 652, pp. 802-805, October 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nima.2010.09.090
- M Ito et al., "Positron Emission Tomography (PET) Detectors with Depth-of-Interaction (DOI) Capability," Biomed Eng Lett. Vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 70-81, May 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13534-011-0019-6
- Y. Shao et al., "A novel method to calibrate DOI function of a PET detector with a dual-endedscintillator readout," Med. Phys. Vol. 35, no. 12, pp.5829-5840, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1118/1.3021118
- A. Kishimoto et al., "Development of a dual-sided readout DOI-PET module using large-area monolithic MPPC-arrays," IEEE Trans Nucl Sci. Vol. 60, pp.38-43, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNS.2012.2233215
- M.C. Abreu et al., "Design and evaluation of the clear-PEM scanner for positron emission mammography," IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. Vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 71-77, February 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNS.2006.870173
- Y. Yang et al., "A prototype PET scanner with DOIencoding detectors," J. Nucl. Med vol. 49, pp. 1132-1140, July 2008. https://doi.org/10.2967/jnumed.107.049791
- M. Ito et al., "Design and simulation of a novel method for determining depth-of-interaction in a PET scintillation crystal array using a single-ended rea-dout by a multi-anode PMT," Phys. Med. Biol. Vol. 55, no.13, pp. 3827-3841, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/55/13/017
- T.K. Lewellen et al., "Recent developments in PET detector technology," Phys. Med. Biol. Vol. 53, no.17, pp. R287-317, August 2008. https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/53/17/R01
- H. Du et al., "Comparison of four depth-encoding PET detector modules with wavelength shifting (WLS) and optical fiber read-out," Phys. Med. Biol. Vol. 53, no. 7, pp. 1829-1842, March 2008. https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/53/7/002
- S. Jan et al., "GATE a simulation toolkit for PET and SPECT," Phys. Med. Biol. Vol. 49, pp. 4543-4561, September 2004. https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/49/19/007
- GATE User Guide.
- GE-Suinsa. Madrid (Spain).
- Gamma Medica-Ideas. Northridge, CA.
- Raytest GmbH. Straubenhardt (Germany).
Supported by : National Research Foundation (NRF)