- Volume 4 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
3D Non-Rigid Registration for Abdominal PET-CT and MR Images Using Mutual Information and Independent Component Analysis
- Lee, Hakjae ;
- Chun, Jaehee ;
- Lee, Kisung ;
- Kim, Kyeong Min
- Received : 2015.10.14
- Accepted : 2015.10.25
- Published : 2015.10.31
The aim of this study is to develop a 3D registration algorithm for positron emission tomography/computed tomography (PET/CT) and magnetic resonance (MR) images acquired from independent PET/CT and MR imaging systems. Combined PET/CT images provide anatomic and functional information, and MR images have high resolution for soft tissue. With the registration technique, the strengths of each modality image can be combined to achieve higher performance in diagnosis and radiotherapy planning. The proposed method consists of two stages: normalized mutual information (NMI)-based global matching and independent component analysis (ICA)-based refinement. In global matching, the field of view of the CT and MR images are adjusted to the same size in the preprocessing step. Then, the target image is geometrically transformed, and the similarities between the two images are measured with NMI. The optimization step updates the transformation parameters to efficiently find the best matched parameter set. In the refinement stage, ICA planes from the windowed image slices are extracted and the similarity between the images is measured to determine the transformation parameters of the control points. B-spline. based freeform deformation is performed for the geometric transformation. The results show good agreement between PET/CT and MR images.
Image registration;Particle swarm optimization;PET/CT;MR;Independent component analysis
- Medha V Wyawahare el al. "Image Registration Techniques: An overview," IJSIP, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 11-28, Sep. 2009.
- Ramachandran Prabhakar el al., "An insight into PET-CT based radiotherapy treatment planning," Cancer Therapy, Vol. 5, pp. 519-524, 2007.
- Raj Shekhar et al., "Automated 3-dimensional elastic registration of whole-body PET and CT from separate or combined scanners," Journal of Nuclear Medicine , Vol. 46, No. 9, pp. 1488-1496, Sep. 2005.
- N Charnley et al., "The use of CT-MR image registration to define target volumes in pelvic radiotherapy in the presence of bilateral hip replacements," British Journal of Radiology, Vol. 78, No. 931, pp. 634-636, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1259/bjr/28412864
- J. Kang et al., "A small animal PET based on GAPDs and charge signal transmission approach for hybrid PET-MR imaging," Journal of Instrumentation, Vol. 6, No. 8, pp. P08012, Aug. 2011.
- Jan Kybic and M Unser, "Fast parametric elastic image registration," IEEE Transaction on Image Processing, Vol. 12, Issue. 11, pp. 1427-1442, Nov.2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2003.813139
- Senthil Periaswamy and Hany Farid, "Medical image registration with partial data," Medical Image Analysis, Vol. 10. No. 3, pp. 452-464. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.media.2005.03.006
- Rafael C Gonzalez and Richard E Woods, "Digital Image Processing. 3rd Edition," Pearson Prentice Hall, pp. 142-165, 2010.
- Josien P W Pluim et al., "Mutual information based registration of medical images: a survey," IEEE Trans Med Imaging 2003, Vol. 22, No. 8, pp. 986-1004, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMI.2003.815867
- C E Shannon, "A Mathematical Theory of Communication," Bell System Technical Journal, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 623-656, Oct. 1948. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1538-7305.1948.tb00917.x
- M Bhattacharya and A Das, "Multi Resolution Medical Image Registration Using Maximization of Mutual Information & Optimization by Genetic Algorithm," IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium, Vol. 4, pp. 2961-2964, Oct. 26 2007-Nov. 3 2007.
- Shun'ichi Kanekoa et al., "Using selective correlation coefficient for robust image registration," Pattern Recognition, Vol. 36, Issue. 5, pp. 1165-1173, May. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-3203(02)00081-X
- James Kennedy and Russell Eberhart, "Particle swarm optimization," Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Neural Networks, Vol. 4, pp. 1942-1948, Nov. 27 1995-Dec. 1 1995.
- Russell Eberhart, "Micro Machine and Human Science, A new optimizer using p swarm theory," Proc. of the Sixth Int. Sym. on Micro Machine and Human Sci., pp. 39-43, Oct. 04 1995-Oct. 06 1995.
- Petra A van den Elsen et al., "Medical image matching-a review with classification," IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 12, Issue. 1, pp. 26-39, Mar. 1993.
- Thomas M. Lehmann et al., "Survey: Interpolation methods in medical image processing," IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, Vol. 18, Issue. 11, Nov. 1999.
- D Rueckert et al., "Nonrigid registration using freeform deformations: application to breast MR Images," IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, Vol. 18, No.8, pp. 712-721, Aug. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/42.796284
- Derek L G Hill et al., "Medical image registration," Physics in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 46, No. 3, pp. R1-R45, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/46/3/201
- Aapo Hyvarinen and E Oja, "Independent component analysis: algorithms and applications," Neural Networks, Vol. 13, Issue. 4-5, pp. 411-430, Jun. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0893-6080(00)00026-5
- Aapo Hyvarinen et al., "Fast and Robust Fixed-Point Algorithms for Independent Component Analysis," IEEE Trans. on Neural Networks, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp.626-634, May. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/72.761722
- W P Segars et al., "Realistic CT simulation using the 4D XCAT phantom," Med. Phys., Vol. 35, Issue. 8, pp. 3800, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1118/1.2955743
- Chui et al., "A new point matching algorithm for non-rigid registration," Computer Vision and Image Understanding, Vol. 89, No. 2-3, pp. 114-141, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1077-3142(03)00009-2
- Cachier et al., "3D non-rigid registration by gradient descent on a Gaussian-windowed similarity measure using convolutions," Proc. of IEEE Workshop on Mathematical Methods in Biomedical Image Analysis, pp. 182-189, Jun. 11 2000-Jun. 12 2000.
- Hakjae Lee, "A study on medical image registration between PET-CT and PET-MR," MA thesis, KOREA University, Seoul, Korea, Dec. 2009.
Supported by : Commercializations Promotion Agency for R&D Outcomes (COMPA), Korea Institute of Radiological and Medical Sciences, National Research Foundation of Korea