- Volume 4 Issue 5
Power quality (PQ) problems are becoming a big issue, since delicate complex electronic devices are widely used. We present a new denoising technique using discrete wavelet transform (DWT), where a modified correlation thresholding is used in order to reliably detect the PQ disturbances. We consider various PQ disturbances on the basis of IEEE-1159 standard over noisy environments, including voltage swell, voltage sag, transient, harmonics, interrupt, and their combinations. These event signals are decomposed using DWT for the detection of disturbances. We then evaluate the PQ disturbance detection ratio of the proposed denoising scheme over Gaussian noise channels. Simulation results also show that the proposed scheme has an improved signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) over existing scheme.
Discrete wavelet transform (DWT);Power quality disturbances;Thresholding;Denoising;Detec
- S. Santoso, W. M. Grady, E. J. Powers and J. Lamoree, "Characterization of distribution power quality events with Fourier and wavelet transforms" IEEE Tras. Power Delivery, vol. 15, pp. 247-254, Jan 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.847259
- G. T. Hyydt, P. S. Fjeld, C. C. Liu, D. Pierce, L. Tu and G, Hensley, "Application of the windowed FFT to electric PQ assessment" IEEE Tran. Power Delivery, vol. 14, pp. 1411-1416, Oct. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.796235
- W. Liao, H. Wang and P. Han, "Neural networkbased detection and recognition method for power quality disturbances signal" Conf. Control and Decision, Xuzhou, China, pp. 1023-1026, May 2010.
- M. Sifuzzaman, M. R. Islam and M. Z. Ali, "Application of wavelet transform and its advantages compared to Fourier transform," Journal of Physical Sciences, vol. 13, no. 1, 2009, pp. 121-134.
- IEEE Working Group P1159, "Recommended practice monitoring electric power quality -Draft 7", Dec. 1994.
- Antonio Cataliotti, Valentina Cosentino, and Salvatore Nuccio, "A phase- locked loop for the synchronization of power quality instruments in the presence of stationary and transient disturbances" IEEE Transactions On Instrumentation And Measurement, Vol. 56, No. 6, December 2007.
- Surya Santoso, W. Mack Grady, Edward J. Powers, Jeff Lamoree and Siddharth C. Bhatt, "Characterization of distribution power quality events with Fourier and wavelet transforms" IEEE Transactions On Power Delivery, Vol. 15, No. 1, January 2000.
- G. Kavya and Dr. V. Thulasibai, "Parabolic filter for removal of powerline interference in ecg signal using periodogram estimation technique" 2012 International Conference on Advances in Computing and Communications.
- J. Yi and J. Peng, "Power quality disturbances denoising using modified s-transform" Int. Conf. Sustainable Power Generation & Supply, Nanjing, China, pp. 1-5, Apr. 2009.
- SA. Chouakri, F. Bereksi-Reguig, S. Ahmaidi, O. Fokapu, "Wavelet Denoising of the electrocardiogram signal based on the corrupted noise estimation" IEEE Tran. Computers in Cardiology, vol. 32, pp. 1021-1024, Sep. 2005.
- G. Kavya and V. Thulasibai, "Parabolic filter for removal of power line interference in ECG signal using periodogram estimation technique" Int. Conf. Advances Computing and Communications, Cochin, Kerala, pp. 106-109, Aug. 2012.
- Yan Li, Baohe Yang, Zhian Wang, and Xuhui Wang, "Automatic disturbance signal monitoring method for on-line detection and recognition" 2010 International Conference On Computer Application And System Modeling (Iccasm 2010).
- P. Pillay, A. Bhattacharjee, "Application of wavelets to model short-term power system disturbances" IEEE Tran, Power Systems, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 2031-2037, Nov. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.544681
- S. Santoso, E. J. Powers and W.M. Grady, "Power quality disturbance data compression using wavelets transform methods" IEEE Tran. Power Delivery, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 1250-1257, Jul. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.637001
- C. C. Liao, H. T. Yang and H. H. Chang, "Denoising techniques with a spatial noise-suppression method for wavelet-based power quality monitoring" IEEE Tran. Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 1986-1996, Jul. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2011.2115610
- C. C. Liao, "Enhanced rbf network for recognizing noise-riding power quality events" IEEE Tran. Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 1550-1561, Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2009.2027769
- L. Lin, "Study of wavelet-based threshold de-noising for power quality signal" Int. Conf. Test and Measurement, Hong Kong, China, pp. 231-234, Dec. 2009.
- Gu Jie, "Wavelet threshold de-noising of power quality signals", 5th Int. Conf. Natural Computation, Tianjin, China, pp.591-597, Aug. 2009.
- H. T. Yang, "A de-noising scheme for enhancing wavelet-based power quality monitoring system" IEEE Tran. Power Delivery, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 353-360, Jul. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.924810
- M. A. Golroudbari, "Signal denoising based on wavelet transform using a multi-level threshold function" 7th Int. Conf. Application of Information and Communication Technologies, Baku, Azerbaijan. pp. 1-5, Oct. 2013.
- D. L. Donoho and I. M. Johnstone, "Ideal spatial adaptation via wavelet shrinkage," Biometrika, vol. 81, pp. 425-455, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1093/biomet/81.3.425
- S. Mallat, A Wavelet Tour of Signal Processing the Sparse Way, vol. 3. 2008, p. 565-66.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)