- Volume 18 Issue 5
The purpose of this study is to prioritize the importance of urban railway service quality through statistical analysis. This was done to maximize customer satisfaction by providing customers of urban railway services (including LRT), operated by the local government, with a better customized service quality. It was hoped that this project would boost the need for public transportation by increasing customer satisfaction, which would eventually lead to more profitable revenue. The results of validity certification of expectations and perceptions before and after the use of government funded urban railway and private sector invested urban railways show that there are gaps for 18 items for the government funded urban rail projects (p<.01), while there is no significant difference for 2 items between expectation and perception (p>.05); private sector invested urban railway projects show differences for all 20 items (p<.001). Therefore, IPA analysis is conducted to improve the service quality; this should lead to a remedy that focuses on service quality. The findings of this study will contribute to providing management strategies for boosting customer satisfaction and creating revenue through customized service quality in the urban railway operating industry (including LRT), which is currently suffering from chronic deficits.
Urban Railway Service(including LRT);Customer Satisfaction;Service Quality;Expectation and Perception;IPA
- J.S. Kim, S.I. Seo, S.M. Hong (2013) Personal transport device for improving public transport accessibility, Journal of The Korean Society for Railway, 16(4), pp. 16-20.
- A. Parasuraman, V. Zeithmal. L. L. Berry (1985) A conceptual model of service quality and Its implication for future research, Journal of Marketing, 49, pp. 41-50.
- A. Parasuraman, V. Zeithmal. L. L. Berry (1988) SERVQUAL: A multiple-Item Scale for Measuring Consumer of service quality, Journal of Retailing, 64, pp. 12-40.
- J.S. Park, T.H. Kim, S.H. Yoon, G.O. Bae, et a1 (2007) The analysis of service characteristics for subway passengers using the importanceperformance analysis(IPA), The Korean Society for Railway, 10(4), pp. 420-430.
- H.J. Lee, K.H. Kuk, Y.J. Son (2009) A study on the service quality, customer satisfaction and loyalty of the urban railway, The Korean Society for Railway, 11(14), pp. 51-64.
- J.H. Han, P.S. Kim (2012) The relation among service quality, customer satisfaction and customer loyalty in public sector; Focusing on the Daegu metropolitan transit corporation, Journal of Daegu Gyeongbuk Development Institute, 11(3), pp. 79-96.
- H. Kato (2012) Urban rail development in Tokyo: Integrated public transportation planning, presentation at a IGESERI policy research workshop on the University of Tokyo.
- J.W. Kim, S.K. Ku, M.W. Sin, Y.G. Bae, et al. (2013) Characteristics comparison of railway behavior analysis using the IPA, The Korean Society for Railway, 5(6), pp. 324-329
- H.B. Kim, W.Y. An, S.W. Lee (2014) Importance factor analysis on transfer facilities by considering characteristics of urban railway station, Journal of Korean Society of Transportation, 32(5), pp. 487-496. https://doi.org/10.7470/jkst.2014.32.5.487
- E. Nathanail (2007) Measuring the quality of service for passengers on the hellenic railways, University Of thessaly, Department of Civil Engineering, 42(1), pp. 48-66.