- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Physiological activities of water extract and solvent fractions of Grifola frondosa
잎새버섯 물추출물 및 유기용매 분획물의 생리활성
- Kim, Eun-Jung (Department of Biomedical Laboratory Science, Sangji University) ;
- Kim, Jun-Ho (Department of Fine Chemistry and New Materials, Sangji University)
- Received : 2015.08.11
- Accepted : 2015.09.30
- Published : 2015.09.30
This study was performed in order to analyze the fibrinolytic, thrombin inhibitory, anti-oxidative, acetylcholinesterase inhibitory, and immuno-enhancing activities of the water extract and solvent fractions isolated from Grifola frondosa. Fibrinolytic activity was analyzed using the fibrin plate method, and thrombin inhibitory activity was assayed using the substrate H-D-Phe-piparg- pna. Anti-oxidative activity was estimated using the DPPH assay, and AChE inhibitory activity was measured using the spectrophotometric method. Immuno-enhancing activity was examined using the nitric oxide (NO) production in RAW 264.7 macrophage cells. Cell viability was determined using the MTS assay. Fibrinolytic activities were the highest in water extract (1.55 plasmin units/mL) followed by water fraction (0.85 plasmin units/mL). The thrombin inhibitory activities of the water and ethyl acetate fractions were determined to be 76.43% and 72.59%, respectively. The acetylcholinesterase inhibitory activities of chloroform and hexane fractions exhibited values of 95.14% and 94.74%, respectively. The butanol fraction showed the highest anti-oxidative activity at 94.47%. Anti-proliferating activity against Raw 264.7 cells showed no cytotoxicity. The production of NO in Raw 264.7 cells increased up to 2-fold by adding the water fraction compared to the untreated control. These results suggest that Grifola frondosa may serve as a useful functional food for the enhancement of immune function and the prevention and therapy of cardiovascular diseases.
Anti-oxidative activity;Fibrinolytic activity;Grifola frondosa;Immuno-enhancing activity;Thrombin inhibitory activity
- Blois MS. 1958. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stale free radical. Nature. 181:1199-1120. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Chihara G, Hamuro J, Maeda YY, Arai Y, Fukuoka F. 1970. Fractionation and purification of the polysaccharide with marked antitumor activity, especially lentinan from Lentinus edodes. Cancer Res. 30:2776-2781.
- Choi HJ, Kim NJ, Kim DH. 2000. Hypoglycemic effect of GE974 isolated from Gyrophora esculenta in normal and diabetic mice. Kor J pharmacogn. 31:268-272.
- Choi HS, Cho HY, Yang HC, Ra KS, Suh HJ. 2001. Angiotensin1-converting enzyme inhibitor from Grifola frondosa. Food Res Intl. 34:177-182. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-9969(00)00149-6
- Chung KH. 1991. In Proceedings of the 2nd symposium on the biochemical methodology for the R&D of the bioactive substances. pp. 53. Biochem Soc. Republic of Korea.
- Daka MD, Semba CP. 1995. Thrombolytic therapy in venous occlusive disease. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 6:(suppl) 73-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1051-0443(95)71252-0
- Doljak B, Stegnar M, Urleb U, Kreft S, Umek A, Ciglaric M, Strukelj B. Popovic T. 2001. Screening for selective thrombin inhibitor in mushrooms. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 12:123-128. https://doi.org/10.1097/00001721-200103000-00006
- Ellman GL, Courtney KD, Andres V, Featherstone RM. 1961. A new and rapid colorimetric determination of acetylcholinesterase activity. Biochem Pharmacol. 7:68-75.
- Fukushima M, Ohashi T, Fujiwara Y, Sonoyama K, Nakano M. 2001. Cholesterol-lowering effects of maitake(Grifola frondosa) fiber, shiitake(Lentinus edodes) fiber, and enokitake(Flammulina velutipes) fiber in rats. Exp Biol Med. 226:758-765. https://doi.org/10.1177/153537020222600808
- Haverkate F, Traas DW. 1974. Dose-response curves in the fibrin plate assay. Fibrinolytic activity of protease. Thromb Haemost. 32:356-365. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0038-1647705
- Kim DI, Lee SH, Hur EY, Cho SM, Park HJ. 2005. Screening of natural plant resources with acetylcholinesterase inhibition and antioxidant activity. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr. 34(3):427-432. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.3.427
- Kim EJ, Yoo KH, Kim YS, Seok SJ, Kim JH. 2015. Biological activities of wild Sparassis crispa extracts. Kor J Mycol. 43:40-46. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.4489/KJM.2015.43.1.40
- Kim JH. 2011. Physiological activities of hot water extract and solvent fractions of Pleurotus ferulea. Kor J Mycol. 39:189-193. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.4489/KJM.2010.39.3.189
- Kim JH. 2012. Biological activities of water extract and solvent fractions of an edible mushroom, Hericium erinaces. Kor J Mycol. 40:159-163. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.4489/KJM.2012.40.3.159
- Kim JH. 2014. Physiological activities of water extract and solvent fractions of an edible mushroom, Pholiota adiposa. Kor J Mycol. 42:207-212. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.4489/KJM.2014.42.3.207
- Kim YJ, Kim CK, Kwon YJ. 1997. Isolation of antioxidative components of Perillae semen. Kor J Food Sci Technol. 29(1):38-43. (in Korean)
- Lee HJ, Kim JS, Heo GY, Lee KB, Rhee IK, Song KS. 1999. Inhibitory activities of basidiomycetes on prolyl endopeptidase, acetylcholine esterase and coagulation. J Korean Soc Agric Chem Biotechnol. 42:336-343. (in Korean)
- Lee JS, Min GH, Lee JS. 2009. Nutritional and physicochemical characteristics of the antidementia acetylcholinesterase-inhibiting methanol extracts from Umbilicaria esculenta. Mycol. 37:203-206.
- Matsui K, Kodama N, Nanba H. 2001. Effects of Maitake (Grifola frondosa) D-fraction on the carcinoma angiogenesis. Cancer Lett. 172:193-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(01)00652-8
- Oh HS, Kim JH. 2007. Physiological functionalities of hot water extract of Codonopsis lanceolata and some medicinal materials, and their mixtures. Korean J Community Living Sci. 18:407-415. (in Korean)
- Park KJ, Oh YJ, Lee SY, Kim HS, Ha HC. 2007. Antidiabetic effect of crude polysaccharides from Grifola frondosa in KK-Ay diabetic mouse and 3T3-L1 adipocyte. Kor J Food Sci Technol. 39:330-335. (in Korean)
- Park JS, Hyun KW, Seo SB, Cho SM, Yoo CH, Lee JS. 2003. Detection of platelet aggregation inhibitors and fibrinolytic substances from mushrooms. Kor J Mycol. 31:114-116. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.4489/KJM.2003.31.2.114