- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Selection of parental monokaryons from Korean Hypsizigus marmoreus by protoplast regeneration
원형질체 재생을 통한 느티만가닥버섯 단핵균주 선발
- Oh, Youn-Lee (Department of Biotechnology College of Life Sciences and Biotechnology Korea University) ;
- Kong, Won-Sik (Mushroom Science Division, National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Science, RDA) ;
- Jang, Kab-Yeul (Mushroom Science Division, National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Science, RDA) ;
- Shin, Pyung-Gyun (Mushroom Science Division, National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Eun-Sun (Mushroom Science Division, National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Science, RDA) ;
- Oh, Min ji (Mushroom Science Division, National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Science, RDA) ;
- Choi, In-Geol (Department of Biotechnology College of Life Sciences and Biotechnology Korea University)
- 오연이 (고려대학교 생명공학과 대학원 생명공학과&BK21플러스) ;
- 공원식 (농촌진흥청 국립원예특작과학원 버섯과) ;
- 장갑열 (농촌진흥청 국립원예특작과학원 버섯과) ;
- 신평균 (농촌진흥청 국립원예특작과학원 버섯과) ;
- 김은선 (농촌진흥청 국립원예특작과학원 버섯과) ;
- 오민지 (농촌진흥청 국립원예특작과학원 버섯과) ;
- 최인걸 (고려대학교 생명공학과 대학원 생명공학과&BK21플러스)
- Received : 2015.09.08
- Accepted : 2015.09.30
- Published : 2015.09.30
Hypsizigus marmoreus is commercially the most important edible mushroom in Japan. This mushroom is usually cultivated for a longer period (about 85~120 days) than other mushroom. In order to develop a new cultivar that has a shortened cultivation period, the genome analysis of this strain has been considered. This study aims to obtain parental monokaryotic strains reproducing 'Haemi' cultivar in Hypsizigus marmoreus for reference genome sequencing. The mycelia were cultured in MCM and MYG media for various incubation periods. Homogenized mycelia were treated with commercial cell wall degrading enzymes to maximize protoplasts production yield from Hypsizigus marmoreus. The greatest number of protoplasts was obtained from mycelia cultured in MCM media for 3 days using Novozyme enzyme. The isolated protoplasts were grown in regeneration agar media after two weeks. Regenerated colonies were picked and moved on separated dishes for microscopic observation. Neohaplonts regenerated from dikayotic strains were identified by the absence of clamp connections. We confirmed that one of monokaryotic strains is a parental strain by crossing with an original compatible strain of 'Haemi' cultivar. This parental strain will be used for reference genome sequence analysis.
Hypsigus marmoreus;Parental monokaryons;Protoplast isolation and regeneration
- Bachman BJ, and Bonner DM. 1959. Protoplasts from Neurospora crassa. J. Bacteriol. 78:550-553.
- Chen S, Xu J, Liu C, Zhu Y, Nelson DR, Zhou S, Li C, Wang L, Guo X, Sun Y, Luo H, Li Y, Song J, Henrissat B, Levasseur A, Qian J, Li J, Luo X, Shi L, He L, Xiang L, Xu X, Niu Y, Li Q, Han MV, Yan H, Zhang J, Chen H, Lv A, Wang Z, Liu M, Schwartz DC, and Sun C. 2012. Genome sequence of the model medicinal mushroom Ganoderma lucidum. Nat Commun. 3:913 https://doi.org/10.1038/ncomms1923
- Das N. and Jee MM. 1996. Preparation and Regeneration of Mycelial Protoplasts of Pleurotus florida and P. ostreatus. Folia Microbiol. 41(2): 208-210. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02814701
- Deacon JW. 2006. Fungal structural and ultrastructure. Fungal biology. p48-66, ed. Deacon JW. Blackwell Publishing press.
- Horgen PA, Jin T, Anderson JB. 1912. The use of protoplast production, protoplast regeneration and restriction fragment length polymorphisms in developing a systematic and highly reproducible breeding strategy for Agaricus bisporus. Genetic and Breeding. 62-72.
- Jang KY, Kong WS, Yoo YB, Shin PG, Park YJ, Lee JH. Seok SJ, Gwon JG. 2010. The morphological and cultivational trait of new variety 'Haemi' in Hypsizygus mamoreus. J. Mushroom Sci. Prod. 8(2):77.
- Kim BK, Kang JH, Jin MJ, Kim HW, Shim MJ and Choi EC. 2000. Mycelial protoplast isolation and regeneration of Lentinus lepideus. Life Sciences. 66(14):1359-1367. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0024-3205(00)00444-6
- Lee JA, Kang HW, Kim SW, Lee CY, Ro HS. 2011. Breeding of New Strains of Mushroom by Basidiospore Chemical Mutagenesis. Micobiology. 39(4):272-277. https://doi.org/10.5941/MYCO.2011.39.4.272
- Lee YL, Jian SY, Mau JL. 2009. Composition and nonvolatile taste components of Hypsizigus mamoreus. Food Science and Technology. 42:594-598.
- Perberdy JF and Gibson RK. 1971. Regeneration of Aspergillus nidulans Protoplasts. J. Gen. Microbiol. 69:325-328. https://doi.org/10.1099/00221287-69-3-325
- Stamets P. 1993. Nonvolatile taste components of three strains of Agrocybe cylindracea. J. Agric. Food Chem. 46:2071-2074.
- Wang Q et al. 2008. Study on the preparation condition for protoplast of Hypsizygus mamoreus. Journal of Anhui Agri. Sci. 36(7):2801-2802.
- Xu J, Zhang J, Zhang W, Hu K. 2012. The novel role of fungal intracellular laccase: used to screen hybrids between Hypsizigus marmoreus and Clitocybe maxima by protoplasmic fusion. World J Microbiol Biotechnol. 28:2025-2633.
- Yoo YB, and Cha DY. 1993. Gene transfer in edible fungi using protoplasts. Genetics and Breeding of Edible Mushrooms, p157-191, ed. Chang ST, Buswell JA, Miles PG. Gordon and Breach Science Publishers press.