- Volume 52 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Preparation and Characterization of Organic-inorganic Hybrid Composite Film with Plate-shaped Alumina by Electrophoretic Deposition as a Function of Aging Time of Sol-Gel Binder
- Kim, Doo Hwan (Eco-Composite Materials Team, Energy and Environment Division Korea Institute of Ceramic Engineering and Technology) ;
- Park, Hee Jeong (Eco-Composite Materials Team, Energy and Environment Division Korea Institute of Ceramic Engineering and Technology) ;
- Choi, Jinsub (Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Inha University) ;
- Lim, Hyung Mi (Eco-Composite Materials Team, Energy and Environment Division Korea Institute of Ceramic Engineering and Technology)
- Received : 2015.04.14
- Accepted : 2015.07.22
- Published : 2015.09.30
Sol-gel binder was prepared by hydrolysis and condensation reaction using boehmite sol and methyltrimethoxysilane as a function of aging-time. The coating slurry was composed of a plate-shape alumina in the sol-gel binder for the EPD process, in which particles dispersed in the slurry were deposited on the electrode under an electric field due to the surface charge. We studied the effects of three parameters: the content of boehmite, the aging time, and the applied voltage, on the physical, thermal, and electrical properties of the hybrid composite films by EPD. The amount of boehmite was 10 ~ 20 wt% and the aging time was 0.5 ~ 72, with a fixed amount of plate-shape alumina of 10 wt%. The condition of applied voltage was 5 ~ 30 V with a distance of 2 cm between the electrode during the EPD process. We confirmed that a structure of hybrid composite films of well-ordered plate alumina was deposited on the substrate when the film was prepared using a sol-gel binder composed of 15 wt% boehmite with 1 hr aging time and EPD at 10 V. The process shows a weight loss of 7% at
- M. Guglielmi, "Sol-gel Coaitngs on Metals," J. Sol-Gel Sci. Technol., 8  443-49 (1997).
- J. Li, Y. Zhao, J. Hu, L. Shu, X. Shi, "Anit-icing Performance of a Superhydrophobic PDMS/Modified Nano-silica Hybrid Coating for Insulators," J. Adhes. Sci. Technol., 26  665-79 (2012).
- C. Bondoux, P. Prene, P. Belleville, F. Guillet, S. Lambert, B. Minot, and R. jerisian, "MgO Insulating Films Prepared by Sol-gel Route for SiC Substrate," J. Eur. Ceram. Soc., 25  2795-98 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeurceramsoc.2005.03.142
S. H. Messaddeq, S. H. Pulcinelli, C. V. Santilli, A. C. Guastaldi, and Y. Messaddeq, "Microstructure and Corrosion Resistance of Inorganic-organic (
$ZrO_2$-PMMA) Hybrid Coatings on Stainless Steel," J. Non-Cryst. Solids, 247  164-70 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3093(99)00058-7
- J. Batey, T. Tierney, J. Stasiak, and T. N. Nguyen, "Plasam- enhanced CVD of High Quality Insulating Films," Appl. Surf. Sci., 39  1-15 (1989). https://doi.org/10.1016/0169-4332(89)90415-7
P. Vuoristo, T. M ntyl , and P. Kettunen, "Properties of Magnetron-sputtered Electrically Insulating
$Al_2O_3$Coatings on Copper," J. Mater. Sci,, 27  4985-96 (1992). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01105264
- E. Celik, I. H. Mutlu, H. Okuyucu, and Y. S. Hascicek, "Electrical Characterization of Ceramic Insulation Coatings for Magnet Technology," IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond., 11  2881-84 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1109/77.919664
- L. Besra and M. Liu, "A Review on Fundamentals and Applications of Electrophoretic Deposition," Prog. Mater. Sci., 52  1-61 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmatsci.2006.07.001
- J. J. Park, "Electrical Insulation Breakdown Strength in Epoxy/Spherical Alumina Composites for HV Insulation," Trans. Electr. Electron. Mater., 14  105-9 (2013). https://doi.org/10.4313/TEEM.2013.14.2.105
O. Cakiroglu, L. Arda, and Y. S. Hascicek, "High Voltage Breakdown Studies of Sol-gel
$MgO-ZrO_2$Insulation Coatings under Various Pressures at 298 K and 77 K," Phys. C, 422  117-26 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physc.2005.03.013
- T. Olding, M. Sayer, and D. Barrow, "Ceramic Sol-gel Composite Coatings for Electrical Insulation," Thin Solid Films, 398 581-86 (2001).
- H. Ji, D. H. Kim, H. J. Park, S. H. Lee, D. S. Kim, Y. H. Kim, and H. M. Kim, "Preparation of Alumina-Silica Composite Coatings by Electrophoretic Deposition and their Electric Insulation Properties (in Korean)," J. Korean Ceram. Soc., 51  177-83 (2014). https://doi.org/10.4191/kcers.2014.51.3.177
- H. J. Park, D. H. Kim, Y. H. Kim, and H. M. Lim, "Electrophoretic Deposition of Sol-gel Coating Comprising Alumina and Boehmite for Organic-inorganic Hybrid Film," submitted.
- J. H. Kwon, S. H. Cho, Y. M. Kim, and K. J. Lim, "Investigation on DC Breakdown Characteristic of Nano/Micro Epoxy (in Korean)," J. Kor. Inst. Electr. Eng., 2011  1599-600 (2011).