- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Atom Number and Bounding Sphere Based Search Speedup Technique for Similar Proteins Screening
원자개수와 경계구에 기반한 유사 단백질 스크리닝을 위한 검색 가속 기법
- Received : 2015.04.03
- Accepted : 2015.06.01
- Published : 2015.12.01
In the protein database search, 3D structural shape comparison for protein screening plays a important role. Protein databases have big size and have been grown rapidly. Exhaustive search methods cannot provide a satisfactory performance. As protein is composed of a set of spheres, the similarity calculation of two set of spheres is very expensive. Thus, a reasonable filtering method could be an answer for the speedup of protein screening. In this paper, we suggest a speedup method for protein screening with atom number and bounding sphere. We also show some experimental results for the validity of our method.
Atom number;Bounding sphere;Protein screening;Ultrafast shape recognition;Shape based search
- Akbar, S., Kung, J. and Wagner, R., 2006, Exploiting Geometrical Properties on Protein Similarity Search, In 17th Proceedings on International Conference on Database and Expert Systems Applications (DEXA'06), pp.228-234.
- Ankerst, M., Kastenmuller, G., Kriegel, H.-P. and Seidl, T., 1999, Nearest Neighbor Classification in 3D Protein Databases, In Proceedings of 7th International Conference on Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology, pp.34-43.
- Aung, Z., Fu, W. and Tan, K.L., 2003, An Efficient Index-based Protein Structure Database Searching Method, In Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Database System for Advanced Applications (DASFAA'03), pp.311-318.
- Ballester, P.J. and Richard, W.G., 2007, Ultrafast Shape Recognition to Search Compound Databases for Similar Molecular Shapes, Journal of Computational Chemistry, 28, pp.1711-1723. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcc.20681
- Bemis, G.W. and Kuntz, I.D., 2007, A Fast and Efficient Method for 2D and 3D Molecular Shape Description, Journal of Computer Aided Molecular Design, 6, pp.607-628.
- Berman, H.M. et al., 2000, The Protein Data Bank, Nucleic Acid Res., 28, pp.235-242. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/28.1.235
- Good, A.C. and Richards, W.G., 1998, Explicit Calculation of 3D Molecular Similarity, Perspective Drug Discovery Design, 9, pp.321-338.
- Hall, P., 1983, A Distribution is Completely Determined by Its Translated Moments, Probability Theory and Related Fields, 62, pp.355-359.
- Lee, J. and Park, J.Y., 2009, 3D Shape Descriptor with Interatomic Distance for Screening the Molecular Database, Transactions of the Society of CAD/CAM Engineers, 14(6), pp.404-414.
- Kransnogor, N. and Pelta, D.A., 2007, Measuring the Similarity of Protein Structures by Means of the Universal Similarity Metric, Bioinformatics, 20, pp.1014-1021.
- Yeh, J.-S. et al., 2005, A Web-based Three Dimensional Protein Retrieval System by Matching Visual Similarity, Bioinformatics Applications Note, 21, pp.3056-3057. https://doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/bti458