- Volume 20 Issue 4
This paper presents the results of the structural analysis and the optimization of a 6,500 m manned submersible. Nonlinear structural analysis for imperfect spheres with the maximum allowable out-of-roundness(OOR) was performed to calculate the thickness of the pressure hull. Dimensions of viewports were determined according to ASME PVHO standard. The design optimization of the spherical hull with openings was divided into two steps - the optimization of the detailed shape of the viewport reinforcements and the optimization of the viewport location in the spherical pressure hull.
Deep manned submersible;Design optimization;Spherical pressure hull;Structural analysis;Viewport reinforcement
- Jin, S., Lim, S., Park, S. and Yoo, S., 2014, Measuring the Scientific Benefits from the Deepsea Human-operated Vehicle Project: A Choice Experiment Study, Ocean and Polar Research, 36(3), pp.277-288. https://doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2014.36.3.277
- Pan, B.B., et al., 2010, Further Study on the Ultimate Strength Analysis of Spherical Pressure Hulls, Marine Structures, 23(4), pp.444-461. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marstruc.2010.11.001
- Pan, B.B. and Weicheng C., 2012, Structural Optimization for a Spherical Pressure Hull of a Deep Manned Submersible Based on an Appropriate Design Standard, IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, 37(3), pp.564-571. https://doi.org/10.1109/JOE.2012.2190809
- Pranesh, B., et al., 2013, Manufacturing Imperfection Sensitivity Analysis of Spherical Pressure Hull for Manned Submersible, Marine Technology Society Journal, 47(6), pp.64-72. https://doi.org/10.4031/MTSJ.47.6.3
- Pranesh, B., et al., 2014, Structural Reinforcement of Viewports in Spherical Pressure Hull for Manned Submersibles, Marine Technology Society Journal, 48(3), pp.17-24.
- PVHO, Safety Standard for Pressure Vessels for Human Occupancy, 2007, ASME.
- Rules for Classification and Construction, 1-Ship Technology, 5-Underwater Technology, 2-Manned Submersibles, 2009, GL.
- Rules for Certification/Classification of Submersibles, 1988, DNV.
- Nanba, N., Morihana, H., Nakamura, E. and Watanabe, N., 1990, Development of Deep Submergence Research Vehicle "SHINKAI6500", Technical Review of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd., 27(3), pp.157-168.
- Walden, B.B. and Brown, R.S., 2004, A Replacement for the Alvin Submersible, Marine Technology Society Journal, 38(2), pp.85-91. https://doi.org/10.4031/002533204787522721
Supported by : 한국해양과학기술진흥원