- Volume 32 Issue 12
Laser assisted machining (LAM) is an effective method with which to effectively process difficult-to-cut materials. Simple machining processes, such as turning and linear tool paths, have been studied by many researchers. But, there are few research efforts on LAM workpieces using threedimensional shapes because of difficulties controlling the laser heat on workpieces with inclined angles or curved surfaces. Two methods for machining three-dimensional workpieces are proposed in this paper. The first is that the heat source shape and laser focal length are maintained using an index table. Second, a rotary type laser module is controlled using an algorithm to move the laser heat source in all directions. This algorithm was developed to control the rotary type laser module and the machine tool simultaneously. These methods are verified by a CATIA simulation.
Laser assisted milling;Three-Dimensional machining;Laser focal length;Laser heat source
- Park, M. H., "Ultrasonic Vibration Machining of Inconel," Transaction of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers: A, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 357-362, 2003.
- Kim, D. H., Kim, K. S., and Lee, C. M., "Environment-Friendly Cutting Technology of Difficult-to-Cut Material," Journal of Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol. 52, No. 2, pp. 43-47, 2012.
- Sun, S., Brandt, M., and Dargusch, M. S., "Thermally Enhanced Machining of Hard-to-Machine Materials: A Review," International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol. 50, No. 8, pp. 663-680, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmachtools.2010.04.008
- Kang, D. W. and Lee, C. M., "A Study on the Development of the Laser-Assisted Milling Process and a Related Constitutive Equation for Silicon Nitride," CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 63, No. 1, pp. 109-112, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cirp.2014.03.087
- DMG MORI, "Product," http://en.dmgmori.com/products (Accessed 26 November 2015)
- INDEX, "Production Turning Machines," http://www.index-traub.com/en/index/production-turning-machines (Accessed 26 November 2015)
- AMECO, "Research and development," http://www.ameco.co.kr/estimate/estimate1.php (Accessed 26 November 2015)
- Melkote, S., Kumar, M., Hashimoto, F., and Lahoti, G., "Laser Assisted Micro-Milling of Hard-to-Machine Materials," CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 58, No.1, pp. 45-48, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cirp.2009.03.053
- Ding, H., Shen, N., and Shin, Y. C., "Thermal and Mechanical Modeling Analysis of Laser-Assisted Micro-Milling of Difficult-to-Machine Alloys," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 212, No. 3, pp. 601-613, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2011.07.016
- Bermingham, M. J., Schaffarzyk, P., Palanisamy, S., and Dargusch, M. S., "Laser-Assisted Milling Strategies with Different Cutting Tool Paths," International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 74, No. 9-12, pp. 1487-1494, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-014-6093-z
- Wiedenmann, R. and Zaeh, M. F., "Laser-Assisted Milling-Process Modeling and Experimental Validation," CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 8, pp. 70-77. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cirpj.2014.08.003
- Brecher, C., Rosen, C. J., and Emonts, M., "Laser-Assisted Milling of Advanced Materials," Physics Procedia, Vol. 5, No. A-B, pp. 259-272, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phpro.2010.08.052
- Kim, D. H. and Lee, C. M., "A Study of Cutting Force and Preheating-Temperature Prediction for Laser-Assisted Milling of Inconel 718 and AISI 1045 Steel," International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 71, pp. 264-274, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2013.12.021
- Kim, K. S., Kim, T. W., and Lee, C. M., "Analysis of a Laser Assisted Milling Process with Inclination Angles," Int. J. Precis. Eng. Manuf., Vol. 14, No. 8, pp. 1495-1499, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-013-0201-0
- Sim, M. S. and Lee, C. M., "A Study on the Laser Preheating Effect of Inconel 718 Specimen with Rotated Angle with Respect to 2-Axis," Int. J. Precis. Eng. Manuf., Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 189-192, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-013-0324-3
- Woo, W. S. and Lee, C. M., "A Study of the Machining Characteristics of AISI 1045 Steel and Inconel 718 with a Cylindrical Shape in Laser-Assisted Milling," Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 91, pp. 33-42, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2015.08.006
- Kim, I. W. and Lee, C. M., "A Study on the Thermal Analysis of Laser-Assisted Machining for Inconel 718 Specimens with Spherical Shape," Proc. of KSPE Spring Conference, Vol. 5, p. 143, 2015.
- Kim, D. H., Jung, D.W., and Lee, C. M., "Study on Angle Calculation of Two-Axis Manipulator for Laser Assisted Machining," J. Korean Soc. Precis. Eng., Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 113-117, 2014. https://doi.org/10.7736/KSPE.2014.31.2.113
- Baek, J. T. and Lee, C. M., "Analytical Study of the Determination of Distance between the Laser Heat Source and Tool for Laser-Assisted Machining," J. Korean Soc. Precis. Eng., Vol. 32, No. 8, pp. 699-704, 2015. https://doi.org/10.7736/KSPE.2015.32.8.699
- Study on the Preheating Method of NURBS Shaped Workpiece by Laser Assisted Machining vol.33, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7736/KSPE.2015.33.2.101
Supported by : 한국연구재단