- Volume 21 Issue 4
Purpose: This study investigates the relationship among nutrition knowledge, food habit problems and dietary attitudes in nursing students. Methods: A total of 856 nursing students participated in the study. Data was analyzed by frequencies, t-tests, ANOVA, Pearson correlation coefficients, and multiple stepwise regressions via SPSS WIN 21.0. Results: The mean scores for nutrition knowledge and dietary attitudes were above average and the score related to food habit problems was high. Dietary attitudes correlated positively with nutrition knowledge, but dietary attitudes correlated negatively with food habit problems. Significant predictors of dietary attitudes included: food habit problems, interest in nutrition and health, exercise, and drinking. The regression model explained 16.4% of perceived dietary attitudes. Conclusion: To improve dietary attitudes among nursing students, nursing educators should develop nutritional educational intervention programs in order to promote nutrition knowledge and identify food habit problems.
- Askarian, M., Memish, Z. A., & Khan, A. (2007). Knowledge, practice, and attitude among iraninan nurses, midwives and students regarding standard isolation precaution. Infection Control Hospital Epidemiology, 28(2), 241-244. http://dx.doi.org/10.1086/510868. https://doi.org/10.1086/510868
- Buxton, C., & Davies, A. (2012). Nutritional knowledge levels of nursing students in a tertiary institution: Lessons for curriculum planning. Nurse Education in Practice, 13(5), 355-360. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2012.09.014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2012.09.014
- Choi, Y. Y., & Yoon, H. S. (2003). A study on nurses' perception for nutrition education working in kyungnam area. Journal of the Korean Dietetic Association, 9(4), 278-287.
- Han, D. S., Kim, D. K., & Lee, H. J. (2013), Nutritional support in renal failure. Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 5(2), 50-56. https://doi.org/10.15747/jcn.2013.5.2.50
- Im, M. Y., Lee, Y. R., Han, S. J., & Cho, C. M. (2012). The effects of lifestyle factors on metabolic syndrome among Korean adults. Journal of Korean Academic Community Health Nursing, 23(1), 13-21. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2012.23.1.13
- Kang, H. J., & Byun, K. W. (2010): Effect of two-year course of food and nutrition on improving nutrition knowledge, dietary attitudes and food habits of junior college female students. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition, 15(6), 750-759.
- Kim, H., & Choue, R. (2009). Nurses' positive attitudes to nutritional management but limited knowledge of nutritional assessment in Korea. International Nursing Review, 56(3), 333-339. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1466-7657.2009.00717.x
- Kim, H. K., Kim, J. H., & Jung, H. K. (2012). A comparison of health related habits, nutrition knowledge, dietary habits, and blood composition according to gender and weight status of college students in Ulsan. Korean Journal of Nutrition, 45(4), 336-346. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2012.45.4.336
- Kim, H. H., Park, Y. H., Shin, E. K., Shin, K. H., Bae, I. S., & Lee, Y. K. (2006). Students' and parents' perceptions of nutrition education in elementary schools. Journal of Korean Society Food Science Nutrition, 35(8), 1016-1024. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2006.35.8.1016
- Kim, H. K., & Kim, J. H. (2005). Food habits and nutrition knowledge of college students residing in the dormitory in Ulsan area. Journal of Korean Society Food Science Nutrition, 34(9), 1388-1397. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.9.1388
- Lee, J. S., & Kim, G. S. (2000). Factors on the seafood preference and eating frequency of the elementary school children. Journal of Korean Society Food Science Nutrition, 29(6), 1162-1168.
- Lee, S. L., & Lee, S. H. (2015). Survey on health-related factors, nutrition knowledge and food habits of college students in Wonju area. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition, 20(3), 96-108. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2015.20.2.96
- McCullough, M. L., Feskanich, D., Stampfer, M. J., Giovannucci, E. L., Rimm, E. B., Hu, F. B., et al. (2002). Diet quality and major chronic disease risk in men and women: moving toward improved dietary guidance. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 76(6), 1261-1271. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/76.6.1261
- Mowe, M., Bosaeus, I., Rasmussen, H. H., Kondrup, J., Unosson, M., Rothenberg, E., et al. (2008). Insufficient nutritional knowledge among health care workers?. Clinical Nutrition, 27(2), 196-202. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2007.10.014
- Morison, S., Machniewski, M. S., Purdy, J., Carlisle, K., Rea, M., & Coleman, D. (2010). Exploring the nutritional needs of older people in a hospital environment: The educational perspective. Northern Ireland: Report for the Changing Ageing Partnership(CAP), Institute of Governance, School of Law Queen's University Belfast.
- Ozcelik, A. O., Surucuoglu, M. S., & Akan, L. S. (2007). Nutrition knowledge level of nurses in Turkey: Ankara as an example. Pakistan Journal of Social Sciences, 4(3), 485-489.
- Persenius, M. W., Hall-Lord, M. L., Baath, C., & Larsson, B. W. (2008). Assessment and documentation of patients' nutritional status: Perceptions of registered nurses and there chief nurses. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 17(16), 2125 -2136. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2007.02202.x
- Schaller, C., & James, E. L. (2005). The nutritional knowledge of Australian nurses. Nurse Education Today, 25(5), 405-412. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2005.04.002
- Seo, E. H. (2014). A study on food habits and nutrient intakes according to BMI in food and nutrition major and non-major female students in Kyungnam university. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition, 19(4), 297-316. http://dx.doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2014.19.4.297. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2014.19.4.297
- Statistics Korea. (2015). Annual report on the 2013 causes of death statistics. Retrieved January 2, 2014, from http://kosis.kr/common/meta_onedepth.jsp?vwcd=MT_ZTITLE&listid=D11.
- Van den Berg, V. L., Okeyo, A. P., Dannhauser, A., & Nel, M. (2012). Body weight, eating practices and nutritional knowledge amongst university nursing students, eastern cape, south africa. African Journal of Primary Health Care Family Medicine, 4(1), 1-9.
- Won, H. R. (2003). A study of the college students' nutritional knowledge and eating attitude by comparing those of Korean oriental medicine major students and those of food and nutrition major students. Korean Journal of Community Living Science, 14(3), 47-57.
- Yalcin, N., Cihan, A., Gundogdu, H., & Ocakci, A. (2013). Nutrition knowledge level of nurses. Health Science Journal, 7(1), 99-108.
- Yoon, H. S., & Choi, Y. S. (2002). Analysis of correlation among health consciousness and nutrition knowledge, dietary habits and nutrition attitudes of elementary and middle school teachers in Masan city. Korean Journal of Nutrition, 35(3), 368-379.
- Yoon, H. S., Choi, Y. Y., & Lee, K. H. (2003). Evaluation of nutrition knowledge, dietary attitudes and nutrient intakes of nurses working in Gyeongnam area. Korean Journal of Nutrition, 36(3), 306-318.
- Yoon, H. S. (2006). An assessment on the dietary attitudes, stress level and nutrient intakes by food record of food and nutrition major female university students. Korean Journal of Nutrition, 39(2), 145-159.
- Yeon, J. Y., Hong, S. H., & Bae, Y. J. (2012). A study on nutritional status and dietary quality of university students by body image. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition, 17(5), 543-554. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2012.17.5.543
- Yun, J. S., & Ryu, E. S. (2012). Satisfaction and perception of nutrition education by elementary school students. Journal of Korean Society Food Science Nutrition, 41(9), 1259-1264. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.9.1259
- 1. The Convergence Study of Predictors of Food Addition among Nursing Students vol.7, pp.5, 2016, doi:10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.4.466