- Volume 21 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Job Stress, Depression, and Psychological Happiness on Job Satisfaction of Office Workers
직장인의 직무스트레스, 우울, 심리적 행복감이 직무만족도에 미치는 영향
Lee, Hae-Kyung;Nam, Chun-Youn
- Received : 2015.07.06
- Accepted : 2015.10.08
- Published : 2015.11.30
Purpose: The purpose of this study is to identify factors that predict job satisfaction in office workers. Participants were recruited from eight industries in B Ku in D city, and the research was carried out from February 10 until October 10, 2014. Job satisfaction was assessed using the Minnesota Satisfaction Questionnaire (MSQ). Methods: Data was analyzed using Pearson correlation coefficients and a stepwise multiple regression analysis with SPSS/WIN 18.0. There was a negative correlation between job satisfaction and job stress. Results: Job stress (lack of reward, occupational climate, job demand, job insecurity) and psychological happiness were identified as determinants of job satisfaction, which explained 43.6% of the total variance of job satisfaction. Conclusion: The findings provide empirical evidence to help nurses prepare effective interventions related to the mental health promotion of office workers.
- Chang, S. J., Koh, S. B., Kang, D., Kim, S. A., Kang, M. G., Lee, C. G., et al. (2005). Developing an occupational stress scale for Korean employees. Korean Journal of Occupational Environment Medicine, 17(4), 297-317.
- Chon, K. K., Kwon, K. D., & Kim, S. K. (1999). An attempt to revise the Korean adaptation of the CES-D: I. Journal of Social Science Research, 6(1), 429-451.
- Chung, E. K., Han, E. R., & Woo, Y. J. (2013). Medical residents' job satisfaction and their related factors. Korean Journal of Medical Education, 25(1), 39-46. https://doi.org/10.3946/kjme.2013.25.1.39
- Chung-Yan, G. A. (2010). The nonlinear effects of job complexity and autonomy on job satisfaction, turnover, and psychological well-being. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 15(3), 237-251. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0019823
- Hamdan-Mansour, A. M., & Marmash, L. R. (2007). Psychological well-being and general health of Jordanian University students. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing, 45(10), 31-39.
- Han, S. Y. (2013). A study on the influence of mental health and job satisfaction on perceived job stress of financial companies. Journal of the Korean Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 14(4), 1612-1619. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.4.1612
- Karsli, M. D., & Iskender, H. (2009). To examine the effect of the motivation provided by the administration on the job satisfaction of teachers and their institutional commitment. Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences 1, 2252-2257. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2009.01.396
- Kessler, R. C., Berglund, P., Demler, O., Jin, R., Merikangas, K. R., & Walters, E. E. (2005). Lifetimeprevalence and age-of onset distributions of DSM-IV disorders in the national comorbidity survey replication. Archives of General Psychiatry, 62, 593-602. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.62.6.593
- Kim, S. L., Jung, H. S., Lee, B. I., Lee, J. E., & Rhee, K. Y. (2003). Factors related with job satisfaction in workers -through the application of NIOSH job stress model. The Journal of Korean Community Nursing, 14(2), 190-199.
- Kim, J., Yoon, S. Y., & Cheon, H. (2006). A study on the relationship among leisure activity, leisure satisfaction, and job satisfaction. Korea Family Resource Management Association, 10(30), 79-96.
- Kim, M. S. (2008). A path model for personality type, stress, and job satisfaction in 119 rescuers. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 10(1), 169-181.
- Kim, I. S., & Kim, D. K. (2012). The effects of job stress on job satisfaction of the employees in youth sports clubs: The case of Korea and Japan. The Korea Journal of Sports Science, 21(6), 941-953.
- Kim, Y. A., & Kim, K. E. (2012). Teacher self-efficacy and job stress as predictors of the job satisfaction on infant teachers. The Korean Journal of the Human Development, 19(1), 105-121.
- Kim, S. Y., Lee, D. O., & Ham, W. T. (2013). The effect of psychological happiness on the life satisfaction and job satisfaction according to employees' participation in life sports. Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, 54(1), 887-898.
- Koustelios, A. D. (2001). Personal characteristics and job satisfaction of Greek teachers. The International Journal of Educational Management, 15(6), 354-358.
- Lee, Y. J. (2002). Relationship with physical self-concept on the self-esteem, psychological well-being and life satisfaction. Unpublished master's thesis, Chonnam National University, Gwangju.
- Lee, Y. H., & Kim, B. W. (2010). The relationship between job satisfaction and ego-identity with psychological well-being of the office workers. Journal of Korean Institute for Practical Engineering Education, 2(1), 135-145.
- Lee, K. H., & Park, H. K. (2013). The effect of emotional labor on job satisfaction of nurses: Mediating role of empowerment and autonomy. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 15(4), 2117-2133.
- Nam, H. S. (2013). The mediating effect of psychological empowerment on the relationship between organizational commitment and job satisfaction. Asia-Pacific Journal of Business and Venturing, 8(2), 175-185.
- Philip, B. N., & Lee, M. (1980). The changing role of the American teacher: Current and future sources of stress. In Cooper C. L., Marshall, J.(Eds.) White collar and professional stress. New York: John Wiley.
- Song, S. H. (2009). Difference between psychological happiness and job satisfaction of office worker's leisure activities. Journal of Sport Science, 21, 69-78.
- Stewart, W. E., Ricci, J. A., Chee, E., Hahn, S. R., & Morganstein, D. (2003). Cost of lost productive work time among US workers with depression. Journal of the American Medical Association, 289(31), 35-44.
- Suh, J. H. (2010). Workers: Job stress is high and job satisfaction is low. Journal of Midas, 10, 102-105.
- Um, T. S., & Kim, H. S. (2013). Impact of job stress and job satisfaction on depression among local public servants. Journal of Health and Social Science, 34, 135-158.
- Weiss, D. J., Dawis, R. V., England, G. W., & Lofquist. L. H. (1967). Manual for the Minnesota satisfaction questionnaire. Minneapolis, USA: University of Minnesota.
- Wendy, R., Boswell, J. T., & Boudreau, J. N. (2005). The relationship between employee job change and job satisfaction: The honeymoon-hangover effect. Journal of Applied Psychology, 90, 882-892. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.90.5.882
- Wright, T. A., & Bonett, D. G. (2007). Job satisfaction and psychological well-being as nonadditive predictors of workplace turnover. Journal of Management, 33(2), 141-160.
- Wright, T. A., & Cropanzano, R. (2000). Psychological well-being and job satisfaction as predictors of job performance. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 5(1), 84-94. https://doi.org/10.1037/1076-8922.214.171.124
- Yang, M. H. (1998). Physical activity and psychological well-being: Development of cognitive-affective states scale. Journal of Korean Sport Psychology, 9(2), 113-123.
- Yoon, S. H., Bae, J. Y., Lee, S. W., An, K. E., & Kim, S. E. (2006). The effects of job stress on depression, drinking and smoking among Korean men. Journal of Health and Social Science, 19(6), 31-50.
- Effect of Volatile Organic Chemicals in Chrysanthemum indicum Linné on Blood Pressure and Electroencephalogram vol.23, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules23082063