- Volume 21 Issue 4
Purpose: This study was conducted in order to determine the extent of ego integrity and to confirm the association between the sense of ego integrity and integrated loneliness, social support, and social activities. Methods: For this study, 146 elderly people participated. The data was analyzed with SPSS/WIN 21.0, using descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, correlation analysis, and hierarchical regression analysis. Results: In regards to differences between ego integrity according to general characteristics of subjects, there was a statistically significant difference in education (F=4.13, p=.007). In elderly living alone, ego integrity was significantly positive correlated with social support and social activities, but negative correlated with loneliness. These variables explained 43.2% of the sense of ego integrity. Conclusion: The study suggested that nursing programs and social activity programs designed to aid the elderly living alone must focus on reducing loneliness, as well as increasing social support and social activities, while taking education into consideration. Also, these programs should strive to build social support systems.
- Chang, S. O., Kong, E. S., Kim, K. B., Kim, N. C., Kim, J. H., Kim, C. G., et al. (2004). The concept analysis of ego-integrity in the elderly. Journal of Korean Academic of Nursing Administration, 34(7), 1172-1183. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.7.1172
- Chang, S. O., Kong, E. S., Kim, K. B., Kim, N. C., Kim, J. H., Kim, C. G., et al. (2007). Development of a scale to measure Korean ego-integrity in older adults. Journal of Korean Academic of Nursing Administration, 37(3), 334-342. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.3.334
- Chang, H. K.. & Oh, W. O. (2011). Factors influencing ego-integrity in community dwelling elders. The Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing, 18(4), 529-537.
- Choi, Y. (2008). Economic and health status, social support and depression of the elderly living alone. Social Science Research Review, 24(4), 103-123.
- Erickson, E. H. (1963). Childhood and Society (2nd ed). New York: Norton.
- James, J. B., & Zarrett, N. (2006). Ego integrity in the lives of older women. Journal of Adult Development, 13, 61-75.
- Jessie D., Ulrich W., Silke A., & Koen, L. (2013). Sense of coherence, depressive feeling and life satisfaction in older persons: a closer look at the role of integrity and despair. Aging & Mental Health, 17(7), 839-843. https://doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2013.792780
- Jeon, G. Y., & Lim, J. Y. (2002). The effect of attachment styles and social support on the elderlys subjective well-being. Journal of Korean Gerontological Society, 22(3), 173-191.
- Jeon, J. Y. (2003). A study of relevant factors affecting social participation of the elderly. Unpublished master thesis, Soongsil University, Seoul.
- Jun, H. Y. (2001) A study of the relationship between loneliness and family support in the elderly. Bulleum of Dongnam Health College, 19(2), 79-90.
- Kang, S. B., & Cho, S. S. (2013). Effects of religious activities and faith attitudes on depression and ego-integrity of the elderly. Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 13(10), 325-34 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.10.325
- Kim, H. K. (2006). Factors influencing ego integrity of elderly. Journal of Korean Gerontal Nursing, 8(1), 24-35.
- Kim, H. K., Lee, H. J., Ju, Y. J., & Park, S. M. (2009). Factors Influencing the ego integrity of elders living alone. Journal of Korean Gerontal Nursing, 11(2), 204-215.
- Kim, J. S. (1989). A study of social activities and ego integrity of the aged. Research Institute of Nursing Science, 1, 31-50.
- Kim, K. H., & Kim, J. H. (1989). Korea UCLA loneliness scale. Journal of Student Guidance, 16, 13-30.
- Kwon, J. D., Um, T. Y., & Kim, Y. J. (2012). A study on factors affecting suicide risk among seniors who live alone : the effect of loneliness and the mediating effect of hopelessness. Health and Social Research, 32(1), 89-114.
- Lee, G. y., & Cho, E. H. (2013). A study on the effect of main variables to the suicidal ideation among the elderly living alone : focused on the direct and indirect effects of social support. Health and Social Research, 33(1), 162-189.
- Lee, S. S., & Lee, K. J. (2002). The stress, social support and psychological well - being of the elderly, The Korean Gerontological Society, 22(1), 1-19.
- Mangen, D. J., & Peterson, W. A. (1982). Social roles and participation in social gerontology. Research Instruments in Social Gerontology, 2. 24-25
- Na, H. J. (2004). A study on the role of leisure of the elderly for upgrading of the quality of life. Journal of Korean Gerontological Society, 24(1), 53-70.
- Oh, Y, E,, & Lee, J, H. (2012). The effects of social network size and a sense of community on the loneliness of rural elderly-only. Journal of Community Welfare, 43, 555-580.
- Park, J. W. (1985). A study to development a scale of social support. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Rim, C. S., Jang, G. S., & Jeong, M. S. (2013). A study on influential factors for the suicide ideation of the elderly living alone. Journal of Social Science Research, 22, 192-223.
- Rowe, J. W., & Kahn, R. L. (1988). Successful aging. New york: Pantheon Books.
- Russel, D., Peplau, L. A., & Cutrona, C. E. (1980). The revised UCLA loneliness scale : Concurrent and discriminant validity evidence. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 39, 472-480. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2062
- Song, M. S., & Kim, N. C. (2007). Effects of activities of daily living and depression on the ego-integrity in elders. Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, 9(2), 154-162.
- Statistic Korea. (2012). House projections for Korea : 2010-2035. April 2012, from http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/3/index.board?bmode=read&aSeq=259651
- Wiktorsson, S., Runeson, B., Skoog, I., Ostling, S., & Waern, M. (2010). Attempted suicide in the elderly : Characteristics of suicide attempters 79 years and older and a gereral population comparison group. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 18(1), 57-67. https://doi.org/10.1097/JGP.0b013e3181bd1c13
- Yang, S. M., Hong, S. R., & Hong, S. J. (2004). Social activity and self-esteem of the rural elderly. Journal of Korean Rural Sociological Society, 14(2), 145-178.
- Yi, S. C., Kang, S. O., Jang, M. J., & Yun, S. B. (2014) Influence of self-esteem, social support and spirituality on loneliness of elderly people living alone. Korean Journal of Family Social Work, 44(6), 139-161.