- Volume 21 Issue 4
Purpose: This study aimed to identify a relationship between the communication competence and social anxiety in nursing students. Methods: With a cross-sectional survey, a convenience sampling of 303 nursing students was taken from P-university in Y-city. The instrument for the study was a questionnaire that is consisted of the general characteristics, an Interaction Anxiousness Scale (IAS) and a Global Interpersonal Communication Competence Scale (GICC). Data was analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-test, one-way ANOVA, Kruskal-Wallis, Pearson's correlation coefficients and stepwise multiple regression with SPSS version 21.0. Results: The mean score of the IAS was
- An, H. J., & Chung, B. Y. (2006). Self-esteem and social anxiety of nursing student. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 12(2), 224-228.
- Bae, S. H., & Park, J. S. (2013). The recognition of achievement and importance of nursing program outcome among nursing students. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 19(2), 203-214. http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.2.203 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.2.203
- Burleson, B. R., & Macgeorge, E. L., (2011). Supportive communication. In Knapp, M. L., & Miller, G. R. (Eds.). Handbook of Interpersonal Communication (4th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE.
- Cho, N. O., Hong, Y. S., & Kim, H. S. (2001). Study of nurse's interpersonal conflict and communication. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 12(7), 369-378.
- Choi, Y. J., Lee, G. W., Jung, C. H., & Lee, A. R. (2009). The effects of self-disclosure and rational-emotive training on communication ability, stress coping behavior, and self-efficacy of nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 18(2), 186-196.
- Cougle, J. R., Keough, M. E., Riccardi, C. J., & Sachs-Ericsson, N. (2009). Anxiety disorders and suicidality in the national comorbidity survey-replication. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 43(9), 825-829. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychires.2008.12.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychires.2008.12.004
- Damer, D. E., Latimer, K. M., & Porter, S. H. (2010). "Build your social confidence": A social anxiety group for college students. Journal for Specialists in Group Work, 35(1), 7-22. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01933920903463510 https://doi.org/10.1080/01933920903463510
- Fenigstein, A. (1979). Self-consciousness, self-attention, and social interaction. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 37(1), 75-86. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.124
- Hur, G. H. (2003). Construction and validation of a global interpersonal communication competence scale. Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, 12(47), 380-408.
- Im, S. B., & Kim, E. K. (2008). Interpersonal communication competence and difficult communication experiences of preceptor nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 17(4), 471-480.
- Im, S. I., Park, J., & Kim, H. S. (2012). The effects of nurse's communication and self-leadership on nursing performance. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 21(3), 274-262. http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.3.274 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.3.274
- Jeong, G. S., Kim, K. A., & Seong, J. A. (2013). The effect of learning style and critical thinking disposition on communication skill in nursing students. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 19(3), 413-422. http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.3.413 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.3.413
- Kessler, R. C. (2003). The impairments caused by social phobia in the general population: Implications for intervention. Acta Psychiatric Scandinavica, 108, 19-27. http://dx.doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0447.108.s417.2.x. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0447.108.s417.2.x
- Kim, J. H., & Lee, J. S. (2013). The experience of clinical nurses' interpersonal conflict. Journal of Qualitative Research, 14(1), 70-80. https://doi.org/10.22284/qr.2013.14.1.70
- Kim, N. J. (1995). A study on the measurement of social anxiety. Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, 14(1), 73-81.
- Kim, S. H., & Lee, M. A. (2014). Effects of emotional labor and communication competence on turnover intention in nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 20(3), 332-341. http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.3.332 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.3.332
- Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education. (2014). Accreditation of nursing education guideline. Retrieved July 15, 2015, from http://kabone.or.kr/kabon02/index04.php
- Laidlow, A. H. (2009). Social anxiety in medical students: Implications for communication skills teaching. Medical Teacher, 31, 649-654. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01421590802208867 https://doi.org/10.1080/01421590802208867
- Leary, M. R. (1983). Social anxiousness: The construct and its measurement. Journal of Personality Assessment, 47(1), 66-75. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa4701_8
- Lee, H. S., & Kim, J. K. (2010). Relationship among communication competence, communication types, and organizational commitment in hospital nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 16(4), 488-496. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.488
- Lee, K. R. (2014). Human relationship and communication skill workbook. Seoul, Korea: FORNURSE, p48.
- Lee, O. S., & Gu, M. O. (2013). The relationship between emotional intelligence and communication skill, clinical competence & clinical practice stress in nursing students. Journal of the korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 14(6), 2749-2759. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2749 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2749
- Lingard, L., Espin, S., Whyte, S., Regehr, G., Baker, G. R., Reznick, R., et al. (2004). Communication failures in the operating room: An observational classification of recurrent types and effects. Quality and Safety in Health Care, 13, 330-334. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/qshc.2003.008425 https://doi.org/10.1136/qshc.2003.008425
- Neighbors, C., Fossos, N., Woods, B. A., Fabiano, P., Sledge, M., Frost, D., et al. (2007). Social anxiety as a moderator of the relationship between perceived norms and drinking. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 68(1), 91-96. https://doi.org/10.15288/jsad.2007.68.91
- Park, J. W., & Choi, M. S. (2009). A study on self consciousness, communication, and interpersonal relation dispositions of nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 18(3), 351-360.
- Park, N. K., Lee, H. K., Lee, T. W., & Park, J. S. (2015). Correlations among emotional labor, servant leadership, and communication competence in hospital nurses. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 24(2), 57-66. http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2015.24.2.57 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2015.24.2.57
- Rubin, R. B., & Martin, M. M. (1994). Development of a measure of interpersonal communication competence. Communication Research Reports, 11(1), 33-44. https://doi.org/10.1080/08824099409359938
- Ruscio, A. M., Brown, T. A., Chiu, W. T., Sareen, J., Stein, M. B., Kessler, R. C., et al. (2008). Social fears and social phobia in the USA: Results from the national comorbidity survey replication. Psychological Medicine, 38(1), 15-28.
- Trenholm, S., & Jensen, A. (2008). Interpersonal communication (6th ed.). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Weiss, B. J., Hope, D. A., & Capozzoli, M. C. (2013). Heterocentric language in commonly used measures of social anxiety: Recommended alternate wording. Behavior Therapy, 44, 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.beth.2012.07.006