- Volume 19 Issue 5
A behavior model for screw connections is developed to provide a better representation of the nonlinear response of thin steel plate shear walls (TSPSWs) with infill plates attached to the boundary frame members via self-drilling screws. This analytical representation is based on the load-bearing deformation relationship between the infill plate and the screw threads. The model can be easily implemented in strip models of TSPSWs where the tension field action of the infill plates is represented by a series of parallel discrete tension-only strips. Previously reported experimental results from tests of two different TSPSWs are used to provide experimental validation of the modeling approach. The beam-to-column connection behavior was also included in the analyses using a four parameter rotational spring model that was calibrated to a test of an identical frame as used for the TSPSW specimens but without the infill plates. The complete TSPSW models consisting of strips representing the infill plates, zero length elements representing the load-bearing deformation response of the screw connection at each end of the strips and the four parameter spring model at each beam-to-column connection are shown to have good agreement with the experimental results. The resulting models should enable design and analysis of TSPSWs for both new construction and retrofit of existing buildings.
screw connection;steel plate shear wall;strip model;tension field action;bearing deformation
- Berman, J. and Bruneau, M. (2005), "Experimental investigation of light-gauge steel plate shear walls", J. Struct. Eng., 131(2), 259-267. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2005)131:2(259)
- Caccese, V., Elgaaly, M. and Chen, R. (1993), "Experimental study of thin steel-plate shear walls under cyclic loading", J. Struct. Eng., 119(2), 0573-0587. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1993)119:2(573)
- Chen, S.J. and Jhang, C. (2006), "Cyclic behavior of low yield point steel shear walls", Thin-Wall. Struct., 44(2006), 730-738. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2006.08.002
- Choi, I.R. and Park, H.G. (2009), "Steel plate shear walls with various infill plate designs", J. Struct. Eng., 135 (7), 785-796. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2009)135:7(785)
- Driver, R.G., Kulak, G.L., Elwi, A.E. and Kennedy, D.J.L. (1998a), "FE and simplified models of steel plate shear wall", J. Struct. Eng., 124(2), 0121-0130. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1998)124:2(121)
- Driver, R.G., Kulak, G.L., Kennedy, D.J.L. and Elwi, A.E. (1998b), "Cyclic test of four-story steel plate shear wall", J. Struct. Eng., 124(2), 0112-0120. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1998)124:2(112)
- Elgaaly, M. and Liu, Y. (1997), "Analysis of thin-steel-plate shear walls", J. Struct. Eng., 123(11), 1487-1496. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1997)123:11(1487)
- Abbott, B.J. and Richard, R.M. (1975), "Versatile elastic-plastic stress-strain formula", J. Eng. Mech. Div., 101(4), 511-515.
- Applied Technology Council (ATC) (1992), ATC-24 Guidelines for Cyclic Seismic Testing of Components of Steel Structures, CA, USA.
- European Convention for Constructional Steelwork (ECCS), ECCS-TC7 (2009), The Design and Testing of Connections in Steel Sheeting and Sections, 124.
- European Convention for Constructional Steelwork (ECCS) (2005), Eurocode 3; Design of Steel Structures, CEN, Brussels, Belgium.
- Frank, K.H. and Yura, J.A. (1981), "An experimental study of bolted shear connections", Technical Report No. FHWA/RD-81/148; Department of Civil Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, USA.
- Goldberg, J.E. and Richard, R.M. (1963), "Analysis of nonlinear structures", J. Struct. Div., 89(4), 333-351.
- Guo, L., Li, R., Rong, Q. and Zhang, S. (2012), "Cyclic behavior of SPSW and CSPSW in composite frame", Thin-Wall. Struct., 51(2012), 39-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2011.10.014
- Hibbit, Karlsson, Sorenson, Inc. (HKS), ABAQUS/Standard Theory Manual.
- Jahanpour, A., Moharrami, H. and Aghakoochak, A. (2011), "Evaluation of ultimate capacity of semisupported steel shear walls", J. Construct. Steel Res., 67(2011), 1022-1030. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2011.01.007
- Jahanpour, A., Jonsson, J. and Moharrami, H. (2012), "Seismic behavior of semi-supported steel shear walls", J. Construct. Steel Res., 74(2012), 118-133. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2012.02.014
- Kharrazi, M.H.K., Prion, H.G.L. and Ventura, C.E. (2008), "Implementation of M-PFI method in design of steel plate shear walls", J. Construct. Steel Res., 64(2008), 465-479. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2007.09.005
- Kharrazi, M.H.K., Ventura, C.E. and Prion, H.G.L. (2011), "Analysis and design of steel plate walls: Analytical model", Can. J. Civ. Eng., 38, 49-59. https://doi.org/10.1139/L10-093
- Kim, T.S. and Kuwamura, H. (2007), "Finite element modeling of bolted connections in thin-walled stainless steel plates under static shear", Thin-Wall. Struct., 45(2007), 407-421. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2007.03.006
- Kurata, M., Leon, R.T., DesRoches, R. and Nakashima, M. (2012), "Steel plate shear wall with tensionbracing for seismic rehabilitation of steel frames", J. Construct. Steel Res., 71(2012), 92-103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2011.10.026
- LaBoube, R.A. and Sokol, M.A. (2002), "Behavior of screw connections in residential construction", J. Struct. Eng., 128(1), 115-118. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2002)128:1(115)
- Lubell, A.S., Prion, H.G.L., Ventura, C.E. and Rezai, M. (2000), "Unstiffened steel plate shear wall performance under cyclic loading", J. Struct. Eng., 126(4), 0453-0460. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:4(453)
- Matteis, G.D. and Landolfo, R. (1999), "Mechanical fasteners for cladding sandwich panels: Interpretative models for shear behavior", Thin-Wall. Struct., 35(1999), 61-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8231(99)00017-8
- Mazzoni, S., McKenna, F., Scott, M.H., Fenves, G.L. (2009), OpenSEES (Open System for Earthquake Engineering Simulation), Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center, University of California, Berkeley.
- Rex, C.O. and Easterling, S.W. (2003), "Behavior and modeling of a bolt bearing on a single plate", J. Struct. Eng., 129(6), 792-800. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2003)129:6(792)
- Sabelli, R. and Bruneau, M. (2007), Design Guide 20 Steel Plate Shear Walls; American Institute of Steel Construction.
- Sabouri-Ghomi, S., Ventura, C.E. and Kharrazi, M.H.K. (2005), "Shear analysis and design of ductile steel plate shear walls", J. Struct. Eng., 131(6), 878-889. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2005)131:6(878)
- Thorburn, L.J., Kulak, G.L. and Montgomery, C.J. (1983), "Analysis of Steel Plate Shear Walls", Structural Engineering Report No. 107; Department of Civil Engineering, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, USA.
- Timler, P.A. and KuIak, G.L. (1983), "Experimental Study of Steel Plate Shear Walls", Structural Engineering Report No. 114; Department of Civil Engineering, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, USA.
- Vatansever, C. (2008), "Cyclic Behavior of Thin Steel Plate Shear Walls with Semi-Rigid Beam-to-Column Connections", Ph.D. Thesis; Istanbul Technical University, Institute of Science.
- Vatansever, C. and Yardimci, N. (2011), "Experimental investigation of thin steel plate shear walls with different infill-to-boundary frame connection", Steel Comp. Struct., Int. J., 11(3), 251-271. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2011.11.3.251
- Yu, W.W. (2000), Cold-Formed Steel Design, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, NY, USA.
- 1. Strain measurements and analyses around the bolt holes of structural steel plate connections using full-field measurements vol.131, 2017, doi:10.12989/scs.2015.19.5.1145
- 2. 00.02: Developments in research and assessment of steel structures: Highlights from the perspective of an American researcher vol.1, pp.2-3, 2017, doi:10.12989/scs.2015.19.5.1145