- Volume 24 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
The Occurrence Characteristic and Future Prospect of Extreme Heat and Tropical Night in Daegu and Jeju
대구와 제주의 폭염 및 열대야의 발생 특성
Kim, Jin-Ah;Kim, Kyu-Rang;Kim, Baek-Jo
- Received : 2015.10.02
- Accepted : 2015.10.26
- Published : 2015.11.30
Observation data (1981-2014) and climate change scenario data (historical: 1981-2005; RCP 2.6 and 8.5: 2006-2100) were used to analyze occurrence and future outlook of the extreme heat days and tropical nights in Daegu and Jeju. Then we compared the mortality and observations data (1993-2013). During 1981-2014, the average of extreme heat days (tropical nights) was 24.41 days (12.47 days) in Daegu, and 6.5 days (22.14 days) in Jeju. Extreme heat days and tropical nights have been similarly increased in Daegu, but tropical nights increased more than extreme heat days in Jeju. Extreme heat days and tropical nights in both, Daegu and Jeju showed high correlation with daily mortality, specifically Daegu's correlation was higher than that of jeju. The yearly increasing rate of extreme heat of the future (2076-2100) was 1.7-3.6 times and 7.8-37.7 times higher than the past (1981-2005) in Daegu and Jeju, respectively. The yearly increase rate of tropical nights of future was 2.6-5.0 times and 2.9-5.6 times higher in Daegu and Jeju, respectively. During 2006-2100 periods, the trend of extreme heat days was observed both in Daegu and Jeju. On the average, extreme heat days and tropical nights in Jeju increased more than that of Daegu. However, the trend of extreme heat days increase in Daegu was higher than that in Jeju, whereas, the trend of tropical nights in Jeju was higher than that in Daegu.
Extreme heat;Tropical night;Mortality;Climate change scenario
- Alexander, L. V., Zhang, X., Peterson, T. C., Caesar, J., Gleason, B., Klein Tank, A. M. G., Haylock, M., Collins, D., Trewin, B., Rahimzadeh, F., Tagipour, A., Rupa Kumar, K., Revadekar, J., Griffiths, G., Vincent, L., Stephenson, D. B., Burn, J., Aguilar, E., Brunet, M., Taylor, M., New, M., Zhai, P., Rusticucci, M., Vazquez-Aguirre, J. L., 2006, Global observed changes in daily climate extremes of temperature and precipitation, Journal of Geophysical Research Atmospheres, 111: D05109DOI: 10.1029/2005JD006290. https://doi.org/10.1029/2005JD006290
- Basu, R., Samet. J. M., 2002, Relation between elevated ambient temperature and mortality: a review of the epidemiologic evidence, Epidemoilogic Reviews, 24(2), 190-202. https://doi.org/10.1093/epirev/mxf007
- Choi, B. C., Kim, J. Y., Lee, D. G., Jan, K., 2007, Longterm trends of daily maximum and minimum temperatures for the major cities of South Korea and their implications on human health, Atmosphere, 17(2), 171-183.
- Choi, G. Y., Kwon, W. T., 2005, Spatial-temporal patterns and recent changes of tropical night phenomenon in South Korea, Journal of the Korean Geographical Society, 40(6), 730-747.
- Cinar, Y., Senyol, A. M., Duman, K., 2001, Bloodviscosity and blood pressure: role of temperature and hyperglycemia, American Journal of Hypertension, 14(5), 433-438. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0895-7061(00)01260-7
- Diaz, J., Jordan, A., Garcia, R., Lopez, C., Alberdin, J., Hernandez, E., Otero, A., 2002, Heat waves in Madrid 1986-1997: effects on the health Of the elderly, International Archives of Occupational and Environ-mental Health, 75(3), 163-170. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00420-001-0290-4
- Frich, P., Alexander, L. V., Della-Marta, P., Gleason, B., Haylock, M., Klein Tank, A. M. G., Peterson, T., 2002, Observed coherent changes in climatic extremes during the second half of the 20th century, Climate Research, 19(3), 193-212. https://doi.org/10.3354/cr019193
- Ha, K. J., Ha, E. H., Yoo, C. S., Jeon, E. H., 2004, Temperature trends and extreme climate since 1909 at big four cities of Korea, Journal of the Korean Meteorological Society, 40(1), 1-16.
- Heo, B. Y., Song, J. W., 2012, Countermeasures on heat wave related disasters increasing due to climate change, Journal of Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation, 12(6), 171-177.
- Heo, I. H., Kwon, W. T., 2007, Temperature change of recent 10 years (1996-2005) in Korea, Journal of Climate Research, 2(2), 79-93.
- Hulme, M., Zhao, Z. C., Jiang, T., 1994: Recent and future climate change in East Asia, International Journal of Climatology, 14(6), 637-658. https://doi.org/10.1002/joc.3370140604
- Kim, E. B., Park, J. K., Jung, W. S., 2014, A study on the occurrence characteristics of tropical night day and extreme heat day in the metropolitan city, Korea, Journal of Environmental Science International, 23(5), 873-885. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2014.5.873
- Kim, J. O., 2008, A study on the cooling center manual of facility and maintenance for extreme heat disaster, Journal of Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation, 8(4), 17-22.
- Kim, J. Y., Kim, J. O., Yu, K. Y., 2007, A study on foreign cases for the management of extreme heat response plan in Korea, Journal of Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation, 7(2), 25-33.
- Kim, S. Y., 2004, The impact of summer heatwave on mortality. Doctoral degree, Ajou University, Suwon, Korea.
- Korea Claim Adjuster Association, 2011, A study on compensation standard criteria for outage damage, Research service report, Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy, Sejong.
- Lee, K. M., Yu, H. J., 2007, The impact of high temperature on the increase of mortality in summertime: the case of Seoul, Journal of Climate Research, 2(2), 118-127.
- Lee, M. I., Kang, I. S., 1997, Temperature variability and warming trend in Korea associated with global warming, Asia-Pacific Journal of Atmospheric Sciences, 33(3), 429-443.
- Morberg, A., Jones, P. D., 2005, Trends in indices for extremes of daily temperature and precipitation in Central and Western Europe 1901-1999, International Journal of Climatology, 25(9), 1149-1172. https://doi.org/10.1002/joc.1163
- National Institute of Meteorological Sciences, 2012, Global climate change report 2012 for the corres -ponding IPCC 5 assessment report-outlook of climate change according to RCP 2.6/4.5/6.0/8.5, 11-1360395 -000341-10, NIMS.
- Roveson, S. M., 2004: Trends in time-varying percentiles of daily minimum and maximum temperature over North America, Geophysical Research Letters, 31(4), doi:10.1029/2003GL019019. https://doi.org/10.1029/2003GL019019
- Sheridan, S. C., Allen, M. J., Lee, C. C., Kalkstein, L. S., 2012, Future heat vulnerability in California, Part II: Projecting future heat-related mortality, Climatic Change, 115(2), 311-326. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10584-012-0437-1
- Sung, J. H., Kim, H., Cho, S. H., 2001, Summertime heat waves and ozone: an interaction on cardiopulmonary mortality-based on the 1994 heat wave in Korea, Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, 34(4), 316-322.
- Park, C. Y., Choi, Y. E., Kwon, Y. A., Kwon, J. I., Lee, H. S., 2013, Studies on changes and future projections of subtropical climate zones and extreme temperature events over South Korea using high resolution climate change scenario based on PRIDE model, Journal of the Korean Association of Regional Geographers, 19(4), 600-614.
- Park, J. K., Jung, W. S., Kim, E. B., 2008, A study on development of the extreme heat standard in Korea, Journal of the Environmental Sciences International, 17(6), 657-669. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2008.17.6.657
- Park, J. K., Jung, W. S., Kim, E. B., 2009, Study on the establishment of threshold criteria for heat health watch warning system in Korea; Part I: establishment of criteria and verification, Journal of the Environ-mental Sciences International, 18(7), 767-780. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2009.18.7.767
- Park, W. S., Suh, M. S., 2011, Characteristics and trends of tropical night occurrence in South Korea for recent 50 years (1958-2007), Atmosphere, 21(4), 361-371.
Grant : 응용기상기술개발연구