- Volume 21 Issue 2
Purpose: This study aimed to explore elderly women's experience and meaning of Dan Jeon Breathing. Methods: Ten elderly women who have practiced Dan Jeon Breathing over 3 months participated in this study. Data were collected through in-depth interviews from participants from May 2012 to January 2013. Data were analyzed with a phenomenological method outlined by Colaizzi (1978). Results: A total of 153 significant statements were extracted from the data resulting in nine themes and five theme clusters. Theme clusters were: "mind-body intervention for old age", "a happy life in old age", "getting better with great efforts", "did not meet their expectations", and "delay at aging process". Conclusion: This study provides us with an understanding on process of elderly women's experiences practicing Dan Jeon Breathing in maintaining and promoting health. Therefore, it is recommended for elderly women who want to maintain health and longevity perform Dan Jeon Breathing as a mind-body nursing intervention.
- Colaizzi, F. U. (1978). "Psychological research as the phenomenologist views it", in: R. S. Valle & M. King(eds)., Existential phenomenological alternative for psychology. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Goh, K. M. (1967). Way of life. Seoul: Chongro Publishing Company.
- Guba, E. G., & Lincoln, Y. S. (1989). Effective evaluation. Sanfrancisco: Jossey- Bass.
- Han, J. S., & Lee, J. Y. (2010). A study on elderly women's experience of Woori- Chum exercise for health promotion. Journal of Welfare for the Aged, 50, 197- 220.
- Hur, K. M. (2000). Kouksundo learning & interpretation- stay between inspiration and exhaltion. Seoul: Bokdol Publisher.
- American College of Sports Medicine. (2013). ACSM's guidelines for exercise testing and prescription (9th. ed.). Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & & Wilkins.
- Bun, J. N., & Lee, K. W. (2003). The cognitive effect of Dhanjean breathing practice for the elderly: a Korean cultural nursing intervention. Korean Journal of Stress Research, 11(1), 47-54.
- Hyun, K. S., Won, J. S., Kim, W. O., Han, S. S., & Lee, J. A. (2009). Effects of Danjeon breathing exercise on vital capacity, physical fitness, anxiety and depression among older adults. Journal of Korean Academy Community Health Nursing, 20(4), 474-482.
- Jung, K. H., Lee, Y. K., Park, B. M., Lee, S. C., & Lee, Y. W. (2012). Analysis of the survey of living conditions and welfare needs of Korean older persons. Korean Institute for Health and Social Affair.
- Kang, H. S. (2003). 21th century sports and health management. Seoul: Hongkyung.
- Kim, K. W. (2005). Development of Dan Jeon breathing model for health promotion in middle-aged women. Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, 35(3), 565-574. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.3.565
- Kim, K. W. (2007). Process of cultivating energy in middle aged women practicing Dan Jeon breathing. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 13(3), 175-184.
- Kim, K. W. (2011). Effects of Dan Jeon breathing intervention on physical endurance, cognitive function and depression in middle-aged women. Journal of East-West Nursing Research, 17(1), 24-30.
- Kim, N. I. (2011). The effect of Danjeon breathing and walking exercise on activities of daily living, life stress and depression in the elderly women. The Korean Journal of Growth and Development, 19(3), 215-223.
- Korean Institute for Health and Social Affair. (2012). A report on the Korea health panel survey of 2011. Korean Institute for Health and Social Affair.
- KSCIM. (2012). Integrative medicine. Seoul: Hanmibook.
- Lee, J. Y., & Yun, S. Y. (2005). A comparative study on health promotion behavior and affecting factors of aged women in urban and rural area. The Journal of Korean Community Nursing, 16(1), 13-22.
- Lee, K. O., & Kim, D. J. (2003). The effects of abdominal breath and slow walking on the blood pressure in the female hypertensive subjects. The Korean Journal of Walking Science, 1, 15-22.
- Lee, N. I. (2014). Phenomenology and qualitative research. Paju: Hangilsa.
- Lee, S. H., & Moon, M. J. (2012). The relationship of life satisfaction, health behaviors and successful aging in the elderly. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, 26(2), 204-214. http://dx.doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2012.26.204 https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2012.26.2.204
- Namgung, W. (2010). The difference of health promotion lifestyle of an aged personas exercise participation, perceived health and sex. Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, 39, 439-449.
- Oh, H. G. (2008). Complete guide in alternative medicine. Seoul: Academia.
- Oh, K. S., Kim, K. S., Kwon, S. H., & Park, J. W. (2006) Research trend of complementary and alternative medicine. Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, 36(5), 721-731. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.5.721
- Oh, Y. H. (2013). Health status of elderly and action plan for policy. Korean Institute for Health and Social Affair.
- Park, H. S., Cho, G. Y., Kim, M. O., & Lee, S. R. (2005). A study on use of complementary- alternative therapy in middle-aged women. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 11(3), 193-201.
- Park, J. K., Kim, C. B., Choi, S. Y., Kim, D. R., Chun, S. I., Lee, S. D., et al. (2000). Challenge of complementary and alternative medicine-worldwide current and health policy implications. Korean Journal of Health Policy and Adminstration, 10(1), 1-30.
- Pender, N. J. (2010). Health promotion in nursing practice. 6th. New Jersey: Pearson Education.
- Planned Population Federation of Korea. (2013). State of world population 2013. Planned Population Federation of Korea.
- Ricci, S. S. (2013). Essential of maternity, newborn, and women's health nursing. 3rd edition. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Statistics Korea. (2014). Life of woman life in statistics. Statistics Korea. Retrieved May 22, 2015, from Statistics Korea Web site: http://kostat.go.kr