- Volume 15 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effect of Retailer Credibility on Attitude to Private Brand and Product Purchase Intention
유통업체 신뢰성이 유통업체 브랜드(PB)에 대한 태도 및 PB상품의 구매의도에 미치는 영향
Lou, Liguo;Park, Man Seok;Koh, Joon
- Received : 2015.05.29
- Accepted : 2015.06.29
- Published : 2015.11.28
The market share of private brand(PB) is growing at a rapid pace. Based on the previous studies, consumers pay more attention to the extrinsic cues when they buy the PB products. This paper proposes an integrated model to examine how the retailer credibility which is one of the important extrinsic cues affects perceived quality variation, value consciousness, attitude to PB, and PB product purchase intention. Also, familiarity with PB is regarded as a moderating variable that can interact with retailer credibility. An analysis of 199 useable questionnaires found that retailer credibility has a significant impact on the attitude to PB, directly and indirectly. Further, the moderating effect of familiarity with PB was significant. For this, we interpret that when consumers are more familiar with the private brand, they tend to have few bias toward the quality of PB. These findings provide several effective strategies for the development of PB, such that retailers must improve consumer's familiarity with PB via various promotions like free samples or testing events. Academic and practical implications of the study findings and future research directions are also discussed.
Retailer Credibility;Perceived Quality Variation;Value Consciousness;Familiarity;Attitude to PB
- 황성혁, 구자성, "유통업체 브랜드(PB)와 제조업체 브랜드(NB) 상품의 속성별 소비자 선호 분석," 유통연구, 제13권, 제4호, pp.47-70, 2008.
- M. Levy and B. A. Weitz, Retailing Management, Boston: IRWIN, 1998.
- 조혜정, 이승창, 류성민, "유통업체 PB상품 활성화를 위한 정책연구," 유통연구, 제17권, 제5호, pp.113-128, 2012.
- K. L. Ailawadi and K. L. Keller, "Understanding Retail Branding: Conceptual Insights and Research Priorities," J. of Retailing, Vol.80, No.4, pp.331-342, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretai.2004.10.008
- J. S. Raju, R. Sethuraman, and S. K. Dhar, "The Introduction and Performance of Store Brand," Management Science, Vol.41, No.6, pp.957-978, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.41.6.957
- L. Lamey, B. Deleersnyder, M. G. Dekimpe, and J. E. M. Steenkamp, "How Business Cycles Contribute to Private-Label Success: Evidence from the United States and Europe," J. of Marketing, Vol.71, No.1, pp.1-15, 2007.
- J. Oubina, N. Rubio, and M. J. Yague, "Effect of Strategy, Structure and Performance Variables on Store Brand Market Share," J. of Marketing Management, Vol.23, No.(9/10), pp.1013-1035, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1362/026725707X250449
- R. Batra and I. Sinha, "Consumer-level Factors Moderating the Success of Private Label Brands," J. of Retailing, Vol.76, No.2, pp.175-191, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(00)00027-0
- P. S. Richdardson, A. K. Jain, and A. Dick, "Extrinsic and Intrinsic Cue Effects on Perceptions of Store Brand Quality," J. of Marketing, Vol.58, No.4, pp.28-37, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251914
- A. R. Rao and K. B. Monroe, "The Effect of Price, Brand Name, and Store Name on Buyers' Perception of Product Quality: An Integrative Review," J. of Marketing Research, Vol.26, No.3, pp.351-357, 1989. https://doi.org/10.2307/3172907
- J. C. Olson, Cue Utilization in the Quality Perception Process: A Cognitive Model and an Empirical Test, Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Purdue University, 1972.
- J. C. Olson and J. Jacoby, "Cue Utilization in the Quality Perception Process," Proceeding 3rd Annual Conference, Chicago, IL: Association for Consumer Research, pp.167-179, 1973.
- E. L. Thorndike, "A Constant Error in Psychological Rating," J. of Applied Psychology, Vol.5, pp.25-29, 1920.
- J. Huber and J. McCann, "The Impact of Inferential Beliefs on Product Evaluations," J. of Marketing Research, Vol.19, No.3, pp.324-333, 1982. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151566
- R. E. Goldsmith, B. A. Lafferty, and S. J. Newell, "The Impact of Corporate Credibility and Celebrity Credibility on Consumer Reaction to Advertisements and Brands," J. of Advertising, Vol.29, No.3, pp.43-54, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.2000.10673616
- C. J. Fombrun, Reputation: Realizing Value from the Corporate Image, Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press, 1996.
- K. L. Keller and D. A. Aaker, "Corporate-level Marketing: The Impact of Credibility on a Company's Brand Extentions," Corporate Reputation Review, Vol.1, No.4, pp.356-378, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.crr.1540057
- D. A. Garvin, Managing Quality: The Strategic and Competitive Edge, New York Free Press, 1988.
- V. A. Zeithaml, "Consumer Perceptions of Price, Quality and Value: A Means-End Model and Synthesis of Evidence," J. of Marketing, Vol.52, No.3, pp.2-22, 1988. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251446
- P. Kotler, Marketing Management, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, 1994.
- I. C. M. Cunningham, A. P. Hardy, and G. Imperia, "Generic Brands Versus National Brands and Store Brands," J. of Advertising Research, Vol.22, No.5, pp.25-32, 1982.
- P. S. Richdardson, A. K. Jain, and A. Dick, "Household Store Brand Proneness: A Framework," J. of Retailing, Vol.72, No.2, pp.159-185, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(96)90012-3
- J. E. M., Steenkamp, H. J. Van Heerde, and I. Geyskens, "What Makes Consumers Willing to Pay a Price Premium for National Brands over Private Labels," J. of Marketing Research, Vol.47, No.6, pp.1011-1024, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.47.6.1011
- A. G. Woodside and J. L. Taylor, "Observations of Buyer and Seller Transactions," Advances in Consumer Research, Vol.5, No.1, pp.643-652, 1978.
- D. R. Lichtenstein, N. M. Ridgway, and R. G. Netemeyer, "Price Perceptions and Consumer Shopping Behavior: A Field Study," J. of Marketing Research, Vol.30, No.2, pp.234-245, 1993. https://doi.org/10.2307/3172830
- D. R. Lichtenstein, P. H. Bloch, and W. C. Black, "Correlates of Price Acceptability," J. of Consumer Research, Vol.15, No.2, pp.243-252, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1086/209161
- G. J. Tellis and G. J. Gaeth, "Best Value, Price Seeking, and Price Aversion: The Impact of Information and Learning on Consumer Choices," J. of Marketing, Vol.54, No.2, pp.34-45, 1990. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251868
- J. A. Howard and J. N. Sheth, The Theory of Buyer Behavior, John Wiley and Sons, Inc, 1969.
- L. J. Marks and J. C. Olson, "Toward a Cognitive Structure Conceptualization of Product Familiarity," Advances in Consumer Research, Vol.8, No.1, pp.145-150, 1981.
- E. J. Johnson and E. J. Russo, "Product Familiarity and Learning New Information," J. of Consumer Research, Vol.11, No.1, pp.542-550, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1086/208990
- M. Fishbein and I. Ajzen, Belief, Attitude, Intention and Behavior: An Introduction to Theory and Research, Massachusetts, Addison-Wesley, 1975.
- D. A. Aaker, R. Batra, and J. G. Myers, Advertising Management, 4th ed. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1992.
- K. L. Keller, "Mastering the Marketing Communications Mix: Micro and Macro Perspectives on Integrated Marketing Communication Programs," J. of Marketing Management, Vol.17, No.(7/8), pp.819-847, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1362/026725701323366836
- J. F. Engel, R. D. Blackwell, and P. W. Miniard, Consumer Behavior, International ed. Florida, Dryden Press, 1995.
- S. J. Newell, Developing a Measurement Scale and a Theoretical Model Defining Corporate Credibility and Determining Its Role as an Antecedent of Consumers' Attitude toward the Advertisement, Doctoral Dissertation, Florida State University, 1993.
- N. Sirohi, E. W. Mclaughlin, and D. R. Wittink, "A Model of Consumer Perceptions and Store Loyalty Intentions for a Supermarket Retailer," J. of Retailing, Vol.74, No.2, pp.223-245, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(99)80094-3
- 김용만, 감석정, 변충규, "유통업체 상표의 구매 행동에 관한 실증적 연구," 마케팅과학연구, 제7권, pp.353-374, 2001.
- 유현미, 박종철, 김재욱, "유통업체와 제조업체에 대한 신뢰가 유통업체 브랜드의 구매의도에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구," 유통연구, 제13권, 제2호, pp.97-123, 2008.
- D. Sirdeshmukh, J. Singh, and B. Sabol, "Consumer Trust, Value, and Loyalty in Relational Exchanges," J. of Marketing, Vol.66, No.1, pp.15-37, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.22.214.171.12449
- R. N. Bolton and J. H. Drew, "A Longitudinal Analysis of the Impact of Service Charges on Customer Attitudes," J. of Marketing, Vol.55, No.1, pp.1-9, 1991.
- R. A. Kerin, A. Jain, and D. J. Howard, "Store Shopping Experience and Consumer Price - Quality - Value Perceptions," J. of Retailing, Vol.68, No.4, pp.376-397, 1992.
- 신진희, 정용길, "e-서비스스케이프가 신뢰와 구매의도에 미치는 영향," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제13권, 제11호, pp.815-828, 2013.
- J. C. Anderson and J. A. Narus, "A Model of Distributor Firm and Manufacturer Firm Working Partnerships," J. of Marketing, Vol.54, No.1, pp.42-58, 1990.
- G. Macintosh and L. S. Lockshin, "Retail Relationships and Store Loyalty: A Multi-Level Perspective," International J. of Research in Marketing, Vol.14, No.5, pp.487-497, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-8116(97)00030-X
- B. A. Lafferty and R. E. Goldsmith, "Corporate Credibility's Role in Consumers Attitudes and Purchase Intentions when a High versus a Low Credibility Endorser Is Used in the Ad," J. of Business Research, Vol.44, No.2, pp.109-116, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(98)00002-2
- D. A. Aaker and R. Jacobson, "The Strategic Role of Product Quality," J. of Marketing, Vol.51, No.4, pp.31-44, 1987. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251246
- D. Grewal, K. B. Monroe, and R. Krishnan, "The Effects of Price-Comparison Advertising on Buyer's Perceptions of Acquisition Value, Transaction Value, and Behavior Intentions," J. of Marketing, Vol.62, No.2, pp.46-59, 1998.
- J. A. Garretson, D. Fisher, and S. Burton, "Antecedents of Private Label Attitude and National Brand Promotion Attitude: Similarities and Differences," J. of Retailing, Vol.78, No.2, pp.91-99, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(02)00071-4
- 박진용, 권순기, 오세조, "유통업자 상표 의류 구매의도에 미치는 영향요인에 관한 연구," 유통연구, 제4권, 제2호, pp.59-74, 1999.
- K. L. Aliawadi, S. A. Neslin, and K. Gedenk, "Pursuing the Value-Conscious Consumer: Store Brands Versus National Brand Promotions," J. of Marketing, Vol.65, No.1, p.89, 2001.
- K. Deveny, "Bargain Hunters Bag More Store Brands," Wall Street Journal, April 15, B1, 1993.
- J. Liesse, "Big Name Marketers Are Being Stalked by Strong, High Quality Store Brands," Advertising Age, April 12, pp.1-4, 1993.
- 천민호, "온라인 구전 여행정보의 신뢰와 구전효과 연구," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제11권, 제5호, pp.524-432, 2011.
- R. P. Bagozzi, "Attitudes, Intentions and Behavior: A Test of Some Key Hypotheses," J. of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.41, No.4, pp.607-627, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1997
- P. S. Raju, "Product Familiarity, Brand Name and Price Influence on Product Evaluation," Advances in Consumer Research, Vol.4, No.1, pp.64-71, 1977.
- C. Y. Lin, D. Marshall, and J. Dawson, "Consumer Attitude towards a European Retailer's Private Brand Food Products: An Integrated Model of Taiwanese Consumers," J. of Marketing Management, Vol.25, No.(9/10), pp.875-891, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1362/026725709X479273
- V. V. Cordell, "Consumer Knowledge Measures as Predictors in Product Evaluation," Psychology and Marketing, Vol.14, No.3, pp.241-260, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1520-6793(199705)14:3<241::AID-MAR3>3.0.CO;2-B
- M. C. Campbell and K. L. Keller, "Brand Familiarity and Advertising Repetition Effects," J. of Consumer Research, Vol.30, No.2, pp.292-304, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1086/376800
- P. M. Doney and J. P. Connon, "An Examination of Nature of Trust in Buyer-seller Relationship," J. of Marketing, Vol.61, No.2, pp.35-51, 1997. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251829
- D. R. Lichtenstein, R. G. Netemeyer, and S. Burton, "Distinguishing Coupon Proneness from Value Consciousness: An Acquisitiontransaction Utility Theory Perspective," J. of Marketing, Vol.54, No.3, pp.54-67, 1990. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251816
- A. Dick, A. Jain, and P. Richardson, "Correlates of Store Brand Proneness: Some Empirical Observations," J. of Product and Brand Management, Vol.4, No.4, pp.15-22, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1108/10610429510097663
- S. Burton, D. R. Lichtenstein, R. G. Netemyer, and J. A. Garretson, "A Scale for Measuring Attitude Toward Private Label Products and an Examination of Its Psychological and Behavioral Correlates," J. of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol.26, No.4, pp.293-306, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070398264003
- R. P. Bagozzi, Y. Yi, and L. W. Phillips, "Assessing Construct Validity in Organizational Research," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.36, No.3, pp.421-458, 1991. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393203
- C. Fornell and D. F. Larcker, "Evaluating Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error," J. of Marketing Research, Vol.18, No.1, pp.39-50, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- M. Szymanowski and E. Gijsbrechts, "Consumption-Based Cross-Brand Learning: Are Private Labels Really Private?," J. of Marketing Research, Vol.49, No.2, pp.231-246, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmr.07.0416
- R. Hamilton and A. Chernev, "Low Prices Are Just the Beginning: Price Image in Retail Management," J. of Marketing, Vol.77, No.6, pp.1-20, 2013.