- Volume 20 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Multilevel analysis approach to analyzing the effects of team diversity on team members' individual creativity and creative activities such as exploitation and exploration
Chae, Seong Wook;Lee, Kun Chang
- 투고 : 2015.09.07
- 심사 : 2015.11.03
- 발행 : 2015.11.30
This study attempts to investigate the effect of team diversity on individual creativity and team members' creative activities such as exploration and exploitation. We have garnered 40 team data from 249 respondents who have been participating in the team learning activities during semester in a private university. They were asked by instructor to show their creativity, and exploration and exploitation activities. The 40 teams were made up of team diversity factors such as study hour and leisure activity. We used a multilevel analysis to analyze the effects of team diversity factors on team member's creativity, and exploration and exploitation. Results showed that in general, team diversity factors like study hour and leisure activities have significant effects on the individual creativity, and exploration and exploitation. Practical implications represent that teams need to be organized considering the team diversity factors in order to improve team member's creativity, and their exploration and exploitation activities.
Creativity;Team diversity;Exploration;Exploitation;Multilevel analysis
- T. Cox, S. A. Lobel, and P. L. McLeod, "Effects of ethnic group cultural differences on cooperative and competitive behavior on a group task," Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 34, No. 4, pp. 827-847, 1991. https://doi.org/10.2307/256391
- W. E. Watson, K. Kumar, and L. K. Michaelsen, "Cultural diversity's impact on interaction process and performance: comparing homogeneous and diverse task groups," Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 36, No. 3, pp. 590-602, 1993. https://doi.org/10.2307/256593
- L. H. Pelled, K. M. Eisenhardt, and K. R. Xin, "Exploring the Black Box: An Analysis of Work Group Diversity, Conflict, and Performance " Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 44, No. 1, pp. 1-28, 1999. https://doi.org/10.2307/2667029
- A. Tsui, T. Egan, and C. O'Reilly, "Being different: Relational demography and organizational attachment," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 549-579, 1992. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393472
- D. C. Hambrick, T. Cho, and J. M. Chen, "The influence of top management team heterogeneity on firms' competitive moves," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 41, pp. 659-684, 1996. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393871
- T. R. Kurtzberg, and T. M. Amabile, "From Guilford to creative synergy: Opening the black box of team level creativity," Creativity Research Journal, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 285-294, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15326934CRJ1334_06
- J. E. McGrath, H. Arrow, and B. J. L., "The study of groups: Past, present, and future," Personality and Social Psychology Review, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 95-105, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327957PSPR0401_8
- R. Reagans, E. Zuckerman, and B. McEvily, "How to make the team: Social networks vs. demography as criteria for designing effective teams," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 49, pp. 101-133, 2004.
- G. Chen, "Newcomer adaptation in teams: Multilevel antecedents and outcomes," Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 33, pp. 334-365, 2005.
- J. R. Hackman, Leading teams, Boston: Harvard Business School Press, 2002.
- M. Webster, and S. J. Hysom, "Creating status characteristics," American Sociological Review, Vol. 63, pp. 351-378, 1998. https://doi.org/10.2307/2657554
- S. E. Jackson, "The consequences of diversity in multi-disciplinary work teams," Handbook of work group psychology, M. A. West, ed., Chichester, U.K: Wiley, 1996.
- K. Y. Williams, and C. A. O'Reilly, "Demography and diversity in organizations: A review of 40 years of research," Research in organizational behavior, B. M. Staw and L. L. Cummings, eds., pp. 77-140, Greenwich, CT: JAI Press, 1998.
- A. Drach-Zahavy, and A. Somech, "Team heterogeneity and its relationship with team support and team effectiveness," Journal of Educational Administration, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 44-66, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1108/09578230210415643
- S. E. Jackson, K. E. May, and K. Whitney, "Dynamics of diversity in decision making teams," Team Decision Making Effectiveness in Organizations, R. A. Guzzo and E. Salas, eds., San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1995.
- T. L. Albercht, and E. Hall, "Facilitating talk about new ideas: The role of personal relationships in organizational innovation," Communication Monographs, Vol. 58 pp. 273-288, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1080/03637759109376230
- R. Payne, "The effectiveness of research teams: A review," Innovation and creativity at work, M. A. West and J. L. Farr, eds., pp. 101-122, Chichester. England: Wiley, 1990.
- O. Richard, A. McMillan, K. Chadwick, and S. Dwyer, "Employing an innovation strategy in racially diverse workforces: Effects on firm performance," Group and Organization Management, Vol. 28, pp. 107-126, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1177/1059601102250022
- L. H. Pelled, "Demographic diversity, conflict, and work group outcomes: An intervening process theory.," Organizational Science, Vol. 7, pp. 615-631., 1996. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.7.6.615
- R. Ochse, Before the gates of excellence: The determinants of creative genius, Cambridge; NY: Cambridge University Press, 1990.
- M. L. Maznevski, "Understanding our differences: Performance in decision-making groups with diverse members," Human relations, Vol. 47, pp. 531-552, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872679404700504
- S. K. Horwitz, and I. B. Horwitz, "The Effects of Team Diversity on Team Outcomes: A Meta-Analytic Review of Team Demography," Journal of Management, Vol. 33, pp. 987-1015, 2007.
- O. C. Richard, T. Barnett, S. Dwyer, and K. Chadwick, "Cultural Diversity in Management, Firm Performance, and the Moderating Role of Entrepreneurial Orientation Dimensions," Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 47, No. 2, pp. 255-266, 2004. https://doi.org/10.2307/20159576
- R. A. Finke, "Creative Insight and Preinventive Forms," The Nature of Insight, R. J. Sternberg and J. E. Davidson, eds., pp. 255-280, Cambridge: MIT Press, 1995.
- R. A. Finke, T. B. Ward, and S. M. Smith, Creative Cognition: Theory, Research and Applications, Cambridge: MIT Press, 1992.
- T. M. Amabile, Creativity in context, Boulder, CO: Westview, 1996.
- F. M. Andrews, Scientific productivity, Cambridge. England: Cambridge University Press, 1979.
- J. R. Kimberly, and M. J. Evanisko, "Organizational innovation: The influence of individual, organizational, and contextual factors on hospital adoption of technological and administrative innovations," Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 24, pp. 689-713, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/256170
- J. Andrews, and D. C. Smith, "In search of the marketing imagination: Factors affecting the creativity of marketing programs for the mature products," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 33, pp. 174-187, 1996. https://doi.org/10.2307/3152145
- S. Harvey, "A different perspective: The multiple effects of deep level diversity on group creativity," Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Vol. 49, No. 5, pp. 822-832, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jesp.2013.04.004
- J. Han, J. Han, and D. J. Brass, "Human capital diversity in the creation of social capital for team creativity," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol. 35, No. 1, pp. 54-71, 2013.
- J. G. March, "Exploration and Exploitation in Organizational Learning," Organization Science, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 71-87, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.2.1.71
- R. E. Reagans, E. W. Zuckerman, and B. McEvily, "Two holes in one? Information and control in the analysis of structural advantage," Working paper, 2004.
- D. Zaharie, "Control of population diversity and adaptation in differential evolution algorithms." pp. 41-46.
- F. Perretti, and G. Negro, "Filling empty seats: How status and organizational hierarchies affect exploration versus exploitation in team design," Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 759-777, 2006. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2006.22083032
- M.-h. Chang, and J. E. Harrington Jr., "Agent-based Models of organizations," Handbook of Computational Economics, L. Tesfatsion and K. L. Judd, eds.: Elsevier, 2006.
- T. M. Amabile, "The social psychology of creativity: A componential conceptualization," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 45, No. 2, pp. 357-376, Aug 1983. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2067
- R. J. Sternberg, The Nature of Creativity: Contemporary Psychological Perspectives., Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1988.
- M. a. F. Munoz-Doyague, N. Gonzalez-Alvarez, and M. Nieto, "An examination of individual factors and employees' creativity: the case of Spain," Creativity Research Journal, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 21-33, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/10400410701841716
- J. E. Ettlie, and R. D. O'Keefe, "Innovative attitudes, values, and intentions in organizations," Journal of Management Studies, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 163-182, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.1982.tb00066.x
- I. M. Prieto, E. Revilla, and B. Rodriguez-Prado, "Managing the knowledge paradox in product development," Journal of Knowledge Management, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 157-170, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1108/13673270910962941
- P. M. Blau, Inequality and heterogeneity, New York: Free Press, 1977.
- R. L. Daft, and N. B. Macintosh, "A Tentative Exploration into the Amount and Equivocality of Information Processing in Organizational Work Units," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 207-224 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/2392469
- S. Song, and J. Teng, "Effective Work Unit Knowledge Management (KM): An Exploratory Investigation of the Roles of Network, Task Environment, and KM Strategies," in Twenty-Seventh International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS) Proceedings, Milwaukee, 2006, pp. 1055-1074.
- A. S. Bryk, and S. W. Raundenbush, Hierarchical Linear Models, London: Sage, 1992.
- S. W. Raudenbush, and A. S. Bryk, Hierarchical linear models: Applications and data analysis methods, 2nd ed., Thousand Oaks: Sage, 2002.
- J. J. Hox, Multilevel Analysis: Techniques and Applications, 2nd ed., New York: Routledge, 2010.
- J. F. J. Hair, W. C. Black, B. J. Babin, and R. E. Anderson, Multivariate Data Analysis, 7th ed., Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall, 2009.
- S. W. Raudenbush, "A response to Longford and Plewis," Multilevel Modelling Newsletter, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 8-11, 1989.
- S. W. Raudenbush, ""Centering" predictors in multilevel analysis: Choices and consequences," Multilevel Modelling Newsletter, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 10-12, 1989.
- D. A. Hofmann, "An overview of the logic and rationale of hierarchical linear models," Journal of Management, Vol. 23, pp. 723-744, 1997.
- Y. W. Seo, S. W. Chae, and K. C. Lee, "The impact of absorptive capacity, exploration, and exploitation on individual creativity: Moderating effect of subjective well-being," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 42, pp. 68-82, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2014.03.031
- S. Yeo, and S. Hwang, "A Safe Operating Strategy for Information System of Small and Medium Enterprises," Journal of The Korea Society of Computer and Information, Vol. 14, No. 7, pp. 105-112, 2009.
- S.-Y. Shin, and H.-C. Lee, "Marketing service activation strategies for the floral market products in the cyber shopping mall environment," Journal of The Korea Society of Computer and Information, Vol. 18, No. 8, pp. 149-156, 2013.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : National Research Foundation of Korea