- Volume 34 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Overview of the KIOST-HYU Joint Experiment for Acoustic Propagation in Shallow Water Geological Environment
천해 지질환경에서의 음파전달 특성 연구를 위한 KIOST-한양대 공동실험 개요
Cho, Sungho;Kang, Donhyug;Lee, Cheol-Ku;Jung, Seom-Kyu;Choi, Jee Woong;Oh, Suntaek
- Received : 2015.04.23
- Accepted : 2015.07.22
- Published : 2015.11.30
This paper presents an overview of the geological environment investigation and underwater acoustic measurements for the purpose of "Study on the Relationship between the Geological Environment and Acoustic Propagation in Shallow Water", which are jointly carried out by KIOST (Korea Institute of Ocean Science & Technology) and Hanyang University in the western shallow water off the Taean peninsula in the Yellow Sea in April-May 2013. The experimental site was made up of various sediment types and bedforms due to the strong tidal currents and coastal geomorphological characteristics. The geological characteristics of the study area were intensively investigated using multi-beam echo sounder, sub-bottom profiler, sparker system and grab sampler. Acoustic measurements with a wide range of research topics in a frequency range of 20~16,000 Hz: 1) low frequency sound propagation, 2) mid-frequency bottom loss, 3) spatial coherence analysis of ambient noise, and 4) mid- frequency bottom backscattering were performed using low- and mid-frequency sound sources and vertical line array. This paper summarizes the topics that motivated the experiment, methodologies of the acoustic measurements, and acoustic data analysis based on the measured geological characteristics, and describes summary results of the geological, meteorological, and oceanographic conditions found during the experiments.
Shallow water acoustics;Geological environmental information;Acoustic propagation;Ambient noise;Reverberation
- B. Katsnelson, V. Petnikov, and J. Lynch, Fundamentals of Shallow Water Acoustics (Springer, New York, 2012), pp. 51-70.
- M. D. Richardson, K. B. Briggs, L. D. Bibee, P. A. Jumars, W. B. Sawyer, D. B. Albert, R. H. Bennett, T. K. Berger, M. J. Buckingham, N. P. Chotiros, P. H. Dahl, N. T. Dewitt, P. Fleischer, R. Flood, C. F. Greenlaw, D. V. Holliday, M. H. Hulbert, M. P. Hutnak, P. D. Jackson, J. S. Jaffe, H. P. Johnson, D. L. Lavoie, A. P. Lyons, C. S. Martens, D. E. McGehee, K. D. Moore, T. H. Orsi, J. N. Piper, R. I. Ray, A. H. Reed, R. F. L. Self, J. L. Schmidt, S. G. Schock, F. Simonet, R. D. Stoll, D. Tang, D. E. Thistle, E. I. Thorsos, D. J. Walter, and R. A. Wheatcroft, "Overview of SAX99: Environmental Considerations," IEEE J. Oceanic Eng. 26, 26-53 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1109/48.917921
- E. I. Thorsos, K. L. Williams, N. P. Chotiros, J. T. Christoff, K. W. Commander, C. F. Greenlaw, D. V. Holliday, D. R. Jackson, J. L. Lopes, D. E. McGehee, J. E. Piper, M. D. Richardson, and D. Tang, "An Overview of SAX99: Acoustic Measurements," IEEE J. Oceanic Eng. 26, 4-25 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1109/48.917916
- P. H. Dahl, R. Zhang, J. H. Miller, L. R. Bartek, Z. Peng, S. R. Ramp, J.-X. Zhou, C.-S. Chiu, J. F. Lynch, J. A. Simmen, and R. C. Spindel, "Overview of Results from the Asian Seas International Acoustics Experiment in the East China Sea," IEEE J. Oceanic Eng. 29, 920-928 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1109/JOE.2005.843159
- D. Tang, J. N. Moum, J. F. Lynch, P. Abbot, R. Chapman, P. H. Dahl, T. F. Duda, G. Gawarkiewicz, S. Glenn, J. A. Goff, H. Graber, J. Kemp, A. Maffei, J. D. Nash, and A. Newhall, "Shallow Water '06 : A joint Acoustic Propagation/Nonlinear Internal Wave Physics Experiment," Oceanography 20, 156-167 (2007). https://doi.org/10.5670/oceanog.2007.16
- C.-K. Lee and S.-K. Jung, "Study on the Relationship between the Geological Environment and Acoustic Propagation in Shallow Water" (in Korean), J. Acoust. Soc. Kr. Suppl. 2(s) 33, 357-359 (2014).
- S. Cho, S. Oh, D. Kang, S.-K. Jung, and J. W. Choi, "Variability of Underwater Sound Propagation due to the Sand Waves" (in Korean), J. Acoust. Soc. Kr. Suppl. 2(s) 33, 367-368 (2014).
- W. Son, S. Kim, J. W. Choi, S. Oh, and S.-K. Jung, "Measurements of Bottom Scattering in Shallow Water," (in Korean), J. Acoust. Soc. Kr. Suppl. 2(s) 33, 362-364 (2014).
- Y. G. Yoon, C. Lee, J. W. Choi, S. Cho, and S.-K. Jung, "Mid-frequency Bottom Loss Measurements," (in Korean), J. Acoust. Soc. Kr. Suppl. 2(s) 33, 365-366 (2014).
- H. Kwon, J. Kim, J. W. Choi, S. Cho, D. Kang, and S.-K. Jung, "Measurements of Spatial Coherence Analysis of Ambient Noise Measured at Yellow Sea," (in Korean), J. Acoust. Soc. Kr. Suppl. 2(s) 33, 360-361 (2014).
- H. J. Lee and S. H. Yoon, "Development of stratigraphy and sediment distribution in the northeastern Yellow Sea during Holocene sea-level rise," J. Sediment Res. 67, 341-349 (1997).
- Y. S. Chu, Sediment dynamics and maintenance processes of linear tidal sand body; Jangan sandbank in the central west coast of Korea, (Ph. D. thesis, Seoul National Univ., 2000).
- B.-C. Kum and D.-H. Shin, "Dune Migration on an Offshore Sand Ridge in the Southern Gyeonggi Bay, Korea," Ocean and Polar Res. 35, 51-61 (2013). https://doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2013.35.1.051
- Korea Institute of Ocean Science and Technology, GIS for Ocean Research, http://mgis.kiost.ac/, 2012.
- R. L. Folk, Petrology of Sedimentary Rocks, (Hemphill, Austin, 1974), pp 15-48.
- W. J. Pierson and L. Moskowitz, "A Proposed Spectral Form for Fully Developed Wind Seas Based on the Similarity Theory of S. A. Kitaigorodskii," J. Geophys. Res. 69, 5181-5190 (1964). https://doi.org/10.1029/JZ069i024p05181
- Y. G. Yoon, C. Lee, J. W. Choi, S. Cho, S. Oh, and S.-K. Jung, " Measurements of Mid-frequency Bottom Loss in Coastal Water of the Yellow Sea," (in Korean), J. Acoust. Soc. Kr. 34, 423-431 (2015). https://doi.org/10.7776/ASK.2015.34.6.423
- H. Kwon, J. Kim, J. W. Choi, D. Kang, S. Cho, S.-K. Jung, and K. Park, "Spatial Coherence Analysis of Ambient Noise Measured at the Yellow Sea," (in Korean), J. Acoust. Soc. Kr. 34, 432-443 (2015). https://doi.org/10.7776/ASK.2015.34.6.432
- W. Son, S.-U. Son, J. W. Choi, S. Oh, and S.-K. Jung, " Measurements of Bottom Backscattering Strengths in Coastal Water of the Yellow Sea," (in Korean), J. Acoust. Soc. Kr. 34, 444-454 (2015). https://doi.org/10.7776/ASK.2015.34.6.444
- General description of the BELLHOP ray tracing program, http://oalib.hlsresearch.com/Rays/, 2008.
- D. R. Jackson and M. D. Richardson, High-Frequency Seafloor Acoustics, (Springer, New York, 2006), pp 323-327.
- Measurements of Monostatic Bottom Backscattering Strengths in Shallow Water of the Yellow Sea vol.34, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7776/ASK.2015.34.6.444
- Measurements of Mid-frequency Bottom Loss in Shallow Water of the Yellow Sea vol.34, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7776/ASK.2015.34.6.423
- Spatial Coherence Analysis of Underwater Ambient Noise Measured at the Yellow Sea vol.34, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7776/ASK.2015.34.6.432