- Volume 34 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Performance Evaluation of an Underwater Propagation Delay-Aware Medium Access Control Protocol
수중 전파 지연을 고려한 매체 접근 제어 프로토콜에 대한 성능 평가
Hwang, Ho Young;Kim, Woo-Sik;Lee, Sang-Kug;Cho, Ho-Shin
- Received : 2015.10.08
- Accepted : 2015.11.15
- Published : 2015.11.30
In this paper, we propose an underwater propagation delay-aware medium access control protocol and evaluate the performance of the proposed protocol. In the proposed propagation delay-aware medium access control protocol, a sink node can restore the received RTS frames that are not piled up in a slot time. We analyze and compare the performance of the proposed underwater propagation delay-aware medium access control protocol with that of the conventional medium access control protocol in various environments.
Underwater communications;Propagation delay;Medium access control;CSMA/CA
- M. Stojanovic and J. Preisig, "Underwater acoustic communication channels: Propagation models and statistical characterization," IEEE Communications Magazine 47, 84-89 (2009).
- D. Pompili and I.F. Akyildiz, "Overview of networking protocols for underwater wireless communications," IEEE Communications Magazine 47, 97-102 (2009).
- Z. Zhou, Z. Peng. J.-H. Cui, and Z. Jiang, "Handling triple hidden terminal problems for multichannel MAC in long-delay underwater sensor networks," IEEE Trans. Mobile Computing 11, 139-154 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1109/TMC.2011.28
- H. Y. Hwang, S.-K. Lee, and W.-S. Kim, "Contention-based slotted medium access control protocol for underwater environments," in Proc. 30th Underwater Acoustics Symposium, 67-67 (2015).
- M. Chitre, S. Shahabudeen, and M. Stojanovic, "Underwater acoustic communications and networking: Recent advances and future challenges," Mar. Technol. Soc. J. 42, 103-116 (2008).
- C. L. Fullmer and J. J. Garcia-Luna-Aceves, "Floor acquisition multiple access (FAMA) for packet-radio networks," in Proc. ACM SIGCOMM, 262-273 (1995).
- M. Molins and M. Stojanovic, "Slotted FAMA: A MAC protocol for underwater acoustic networks," in Proc. MTS/ IEEE OCEANS, 1-7 (2006).
- B. Peleato and M. Stojanovic, "Distance aware collision avoidance protocol for ad-hoc underwater acoustic sensor networks," IEEE Comm. Letters 11, 1025-1027 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1109/LCOMM.2007.071160
- A.A. Syed, W. Ye, and J. Heidemann, "Comparison and evaluation of the T-Lohi MAC for underwater acoustic sensor networks," IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun. 26, 1731-1743 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1109/JSAC.2008.081212
- N. Chirdchoo, W.S. Soh, and K. Chua, "RIPT: A receiverinitiated reservation-based protocol for underwater acoustic networks," IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun. 26, 1744-1753 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1109/JSAC.2008.081213
- H.H. Ng, W.S. Soh, and M. Montani, "An underwater acoustic MAC protocol using reverse opportunistic packet appending," Comput. Netw. 57, 2733-2751 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comnet.2013.06.007
- Y. Noh, U. Lee, S. Han, P. Wang, D. Torres, J. Kim, and M. Gerla, "DOTS: A propagation delay-aware opportunistic MAC protocol for mobile underwater networks," IEEE Trans. Mobile Computing 13, 766-782 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1109/TMC.2013.2297703
- S. Shahabudeen, M. Motani, and M. Chitre, "Analysis of a high-performance MAC protocol for underwater acoustic networks," IEEE J. Ocean. Eng. 39, 74-89 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1109/JOE.2013.2246741
- G. Bianchi, "Performance analysis of the IEEE 802.11 distributed coordination function," IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun. 18, 535-547 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1109/49.840210
- H. Y. Hwang, S. J. Kim, D. K. Sung, and N.-O. Song, "Performance Analysis of IEEE 802.11e EDCA with a Virtual Collision Handler," IEEE Trans. Vehicular Technology 57, 1293-1297 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2007.911611
- H. Y. Hwang, S. J. Kim, B.-S. Kim, D. K. Sung, S. Park, and Y.-U. Chung, "Modeling and Analysis of Wireless LANs with a Backoff Freezing Mechanism," Information-An International Interdisciplinary Journal 15, 1081-1094 (2012).
Supported by : 국방과학연구소