- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Case Study on the Implementation of a River Water Level Monitoring System using PLC(Programmable Logic Controller) and Public Telecommunication Network
PLC(Programmable Logic Controller)와 공중통신망을 이용한 하천수위감시시스템 구축 사례 연구
- Received : 2015.04.01
- Accepted : 2015.10.11
- Published : 2015.11.30
A river water level monitoring system which prevents salt water damages and effectively excludes floods has been developed to contribute efficient operation of Nakdong river estuary barrage. The system can be used for monitoring upstream conditions more quickly and do appropriate responses over changes. Telemetry and telecontrols using PLCs have been built at the three sites that directly influence on the operation of barrage gates, and are linked to Nakdong river estuary barrage's IOS (Integrated Operation System) through public communication networks. By using PLC, the system can achieve even higher reliability and versatility than before as well as easy management. By power control devices, we can remotely control the power of PLCs to treat the minor troubles instantly without going on-sites. The power control devices also save data in preparation for the cases of communication failures. The system uses ADSL (FTTH) as a main network between SCADA server and PLCs, and CDMA (M2M) as a secondary network. In order to compensate security vulnerabilities of public communication network, we have installed the VPNs for secure communication between center and the observation stations, just like a dedicated network. Generally, river water level observations have been used custom-manufactured remote terminals to suit their special goals. However, in this case, we have established a system with open architecture considering the interface between different systems, the ease of use and maintenance, security, price, etc.
River Estuary Barrage;Flood Warning System;Water Resources Operation;Remote Monitoring & Control
- Abawajy, J. and Robles, R. J., "Secured Communication scheme for SCADA in Smart Grid Environment," Journal of Security Engineering, Vol. 7, No. 6, 2010.
- Bailer, D. and Wright, E., "Practical SCADA for industry," Burlington: Newnes, 2003.
- Barbosa, R. R. R. and Pras, A., "Intrusion Detection in SCADA Networks," International Federation for Information Processing, pp. 163-166, 2010.
- Belekar, S. B., Desai, A. A., and Dakre, A., "PLC SCADA based Distribution Monitoring & Control," Multidisciplinary Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology, Vol. 1, , No. 1, pp. 105-110, 2014.
- DiNanno, J. M. and Changy, D., "Selecting the right RTU and SCADA System," Whitmor/Technotrade, Sept, 2005.
- Geoke, D. and Nguyen, H., "SCADA System Security," ECE 478-Network Security, Oregon State University, March, 2005.
- Graham, J. H. and Patel, S. C., "Security considerations in SCADA communication Protocols," Intelligent System Research Laboratory Tecchnical Report, University of Louisvile, September, 2004.
- Hentea, M., "Improving Security for SCADA Control systems," Interdisciplinary Journal of Information, Knowledge, and Management, Vol. 3, 2008.
- Hong, S. J., "Industrial network technologies and applications," C&I, special Issue, May, 2010.
- Jung, S. B. and Yang, S. I., "A study on effective management method of the flood forecast system using PDA," Journal of Korea Information Processing Society, Vol. 17-A, No. 4, October, 2010.
- Kang, D. J. and Robles, R. J., "Compartmentalization of Protocols in SCADA Communication," International Journal of Advenced Science and Technology, Vol. 8, pp. 27-36, 2009.
- Kim, S. J., Lim, T. S., and Kim, M. S., "A case study on implementation of Integrated Operation System of the Nakdong River Estuary Barrage due to the barrage gate extension," Journal of Society for e-Business studies, Vol. 20, No. 1, 2015.
- Know all about SCADA Systems Architecture and Types with Applications, Tarun Agarwal, http://www.edgefxkits.com/blog/scada-system-architecturetypes-applications/.
- Korea Water Resources Corporation, "Analytic research about the effect of water operation system(Water-K) application," 2010.
- Korea Water Resources Corporation, "Nakdong River Estuary Barrage operation & management manual," December, 2008.
- Korea Water Resources Corporation, "Water Resource & Environment Basic Research Work Standard," 2010.
- KT, "Report for Troubleshooting about Communication system in KT," 2007.
- Kumar, B., Pantnaik, M., and Kumar, R, "Canal Water Management Through Computerised Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition System," 16th National Convention of Computer Engineers held at Patna on December 15-16, 2001.
- Laboratory of system, Security certification team, "Security Objectives Statements," Oullim Information Technology, October, 2009.
- Ldachaba, F. E., "Review of Remore Terminal Unit(RTU) and Gateways for Digital Oilfield developments," International Journal of Advenced Computer Science and Applications, Vol. 3, No. 8, pp. 157-160, 2012.
- Najm, O. S., Alkhaddar, A. R. M., and Hadi, H. A., "The use of SCADA system in water resources management, management of Shatt Al-Hilla in Iraq as a case study," International Journal of Environmental Monitoring and Analysis, October 30, 2013.
- Rijo, M., Lanhoso, A., and Nunes, M., "Design and implementation of an irrigation canal SCADA," ICAAM, 2005.
- Robles, R. J., Choi, M. K., Kim, S. S., Park, G. C., and Yeo, S. S., "Vulnerabilities in SCADA and Critical Infrastructure Systems," International Journal of Future Generation Communication and Networking, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 99-104, December, 2008.
- Stoian, I., Capatina, D., Ignat, S., and Ghiran, O., "Security and Intrusion Detection on Critical SCADA systems for Water Management," IEEE, 978-1-4799-3732-5/14, 2014.
- Three generations of SCADA system architectures, Edvard Csanyi, http://electrical-engineering-portal.com/three-generations-of-scada-system-architectures.