- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Diffusion of Internet of Things: Forecasting Technologies and Company Strategies using Qualitative and Quantitative Approach
사물인터넷의 확산: 정성적·정량적 기법을 이용한 기술 및 기업 전략 예측
Lee, Saerom;Jahng, Jungjoo
- Received : 2015.07.20
- Accepted : 2015.09.24
- Published : 2015.11.30
Internet of Things (IoT) is expected to provide efficiency and convenience in human life by integrating the Internet into the things that we use in daily lives. IoT can not only create new businesses but also can bring great changes in our lives thanks to the various ways of technical application: defining relationships among things or automatic use of technology by analyzing the usage pattern. This study uses the qualitative research of interviewing the experts to predict the changes that IoT technology is expected to bring in our lives. In addition, this paper analyzes news articles about internet of things in Korea using text-network analysis. This study also discusses the factors which need to be considered to put IoT into successful use in business contexts.
Internet of Things;in-Depth Interview;Text-Network Analysis;Forecasting Technology
- Atzori, L., Iera, A., and Morabito, G., "The Internet of Things: A survey," Computer networks, Vol. 54, No. 15, pp. 2787-2805, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comnet.2010.05.010
- Edson, B., Creating the Internet of Your Things, Microsoft, 2014.
- Fontana, A. and Frey, J. H., "The Interview: From Structured Questions to Negotiated Text," Handbook of Qualitative Research, Vol. 2, No. 6, pp. 645-672, 2000
- Gartner, "Forecast: The Internet of Things, Worldwide, 2013," 2013.
- Gubbi, J., Buyya, R., Marusic, S., and Palaniswami, M., "Internet of Things(IoT): A Vision, Architectural Elements, and Future Directions," Future Generation Computer Systems, Vol. 29, No. 7, pp. 1645-1660, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.future.2013.01.010
- Haller, S., Karnouskos, S., and Schroth, C., "The Internet of Things in an Enterprise Context, in Future Internet Systems (FIS)," LCNS, Vol. 5468. Springer, pp. 14-28, 2008.
- IDC, The Internet of Things Is Poised to Change Everything, IDC Press, 2013.
- IERC(Internet of Things European Research Cluster), The Internet of Things 2012 New Horizons, Halifax, UK, 2012.
- ITU-T. 2060, "Overview of the internet of things," ITU-T, June, 2012.
- Jeong, S. Y., Nam, S. I., Hong, S., and Han, C. H., "Future Technology Foresight for and Enterprise: Methodology and Case, The Journal of Society for e-Business Studies, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 69-89, 2006.
- Jung, E. H., "Platform of Internet of Things for DIY Device: Case Study," Information and Communications, pp. 59-65, 2014.
- Kim, K. N., Kim, J. E., Jung, H. J., and Lee, Y. S., "Analysis of Efficiency of ICT R&D Investment and Strategies for Long-term investment," Policy Research, pp. 13-11, 2013.
- Kortuem, G. and Kawsar, F., "Market-based User Innovation in the Internet of Things," In Internet of Things(IOT), pp. 1-8, 2010.
- Kuang, C., "Disney's $1 Billion Bet on A Magical Wristband," Wired, 2015. 03. 10, URL: http://www.wired.com/2015/03/disney-magicband/.
- Lee, I. and Lee, K., "The Internet of Things (IoT): Applications, Investments, and Challenges for Enterprises," Business Horizons, 2015.
- Mckinsey Global Institute, "The Internet of Things: Mapping the Value beyond the Hype," June 2015.
- Oh, Y. M. and Lee, S. W., "IoT and Platform for Open-source Development," Journal of KIISE, Vol. 32, No. 6, pp. 25-30, 2014.
- Park, J., Jo, H., Kim, M., and Kim, S., "A Study of Strategy for Spread of Green IT," The Journal of Society for e-Business Studies, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 39-62, 2012.
- Pyo, C. S., Kang, H. Y., Kim, N. S., and Bang, H. C., "Technology Trends of Internet of Things(M2M) and Future Directions," Information and Communication Magazine, Vol. 30, No. 8, pp. 3-10, 2013.
- Salvaggio, V., Cisco and Streetline Innovate for Smart Parking: Introducing Camera Based Detection and an Integrated Streetline IoT Gateway with Cisco WiFi, CISCO Blog, 2014, access: http://blogs.cisco.com/government/cisco-and-streetline-innovate-for-smart-arkingintroducing-camera-based-detection-and-an-integrated-streetline-Iot-gateway-with-cisco-wifi/.
- Son, T. S. and Ko, J. B., "Trend of IoT Security in Cloud Computing," Korea Institute of Information Security & Cryptology, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 20-30, 2012.
- Whitmore, A., Agarwal, A., and Xu, L. D., "The Internet of Things-A survey of Topics and Trends," Information Systems Frontier, pp. 1-14, 2014.