- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Feasibility of 'Lone Wolf' Terrorists in Korea: Focusing on IS Defector Student Kim's On-Line Behavior
국내에서의 '외로운 늑대'(Lone Wolf) 테러리스트 발생 가능성에 관한 연구: IS 가담 '김 모'군의 사이버공간에서의 행적을 중심으로
Youn, Bonghan;Lee, Sangjin;Lim, Jongin
- Received : 2015.09.09
- Accepted : 2015.10.22
- Published : 2015.11.30
Since 9/11 attack, internet has become a major space for terrorist activities and also emerged as the most important spot of lone wolf terrorists for acquiring tools and radicalization. The accident of student Kim's defection to IS (Islamic state) in January 2015 told us that Korea is not any more "terrorism clearance area" and leaded us to look closely into the possibility of lone wolf terrorist. In this paper, I developed a "lone wolf cyber evolution model" using various materials collected by preceding papers and interviewing investigators and terrorism experts in Korea. I analyze Kim's radicalization process using this model. And I picked and closely looked over some facilitating factors of lone wolf such as multi-cultural socialization, increase of international migrants, expansion alienation hierarchy and ideological conflicts deepening and predicted the possibility of lone wolf. Finally, this paper presents some effective policy measurements against lone wolf terrorism in Korea.
Terrorism;Lone Wolf;Cyberspace;Social Media;Radicalization;Multi-Cultural Society
- Ahn, J., "The Present Condition and Social Network of the Southeast Asian Muslim Immigrants," Korean Journal of the Middle East Studies, Vol. 29, No. 1, p. 68, 2007.
- Bang, S., "Pro-North Korean Groups, Core 30, Follower 160, Friendly 1500: Core Groups Carry out the orders from the North. Follower Groups cause Demonstration Agitation," Munhwa Ilbo, www.kild.or.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=report&wr_id=104, 2015.
- Bates, R. A., "Dancing With Wolves: Today's Lone Wolf Terrorists," The Journal of Public and Professional Sociology, Vol. 4, No. 1, p. 7, 2012.
- Bergen, B. and Hoffman, B., "Assessing the Terrorist Threat," Bipartisan Policy Center's National Security Preparedness Group, p. 26, 2010.
- Berlet, C., "Lone wolf Terrorism In Charleston, Paris and Boston," Dissent News Wire, www.defendingdissent.org/now/news/lone-wolf-terrorism-in-paris-andboston, 2015.
- Bonner, R. and Welser, B., "Echoes of Early Design to Use Chemicals to Blow Up Airliners," The New York Times, www.nytimes.com/2006/08/11/world/europe/11manila.html?_r=0, 2006.
- Borum, R. M., "Psychology of Terrorism," University of South Florida, p. 27, 2004.
- Cassidy, J., "Fighting Jihad: France must avoid Repeating America's Errors," The New Yorker, www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/fighting-jihad-franceshouldnt-repeat-u-s-error, 2015.
- Choo, S., "e-terrorism: Terrorism Web sites and Internet Terrorism," Strategy Forum, Vol. 5, p. 2, 2006.
- Cohen, K., "Who will be a lone wolf terrorist?: Mechanisms of self-radicalisation and the possibility of detecting lone offender threats on the Internet," FOI, p. 12, 2012.
- Davis, D., "The Phineas priesthood: Violent vanguard of the Christian identity movement," Praeger, Santa Barbara, California, p. 5, 2010.
- Edwards, C., Jeffery, C., and Pantucci, R., "Out of Reach? The Role of Community Policing in Preventing Terrorism in Canada," Royal United Service Institute Occasional Paper, pp. 9-10, 2015.
- Fishman, B. and Lebovich, A., "Countering Domestic Radicalization: Lessons for Intelligence Collection and Community Outreach," National Security Studies Program Policies Paper, New American Foundation, p. 41, 2011.
- Fredholm, M., "Hunting Lone-Wolves-Finding Islamist Lone Actors Before They Strike," Stockholm Seminar, p. 6, 2011.
- Hallen, N., "Charlie Hebdo Shootings: Worldwide marches from London to Washington in solidarity with France," ABC news, www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-12/worldwide-marches-solidarity-withfrance-charlie-hebdo-victims/6012164, 2015.
- Hamm, M. S., "Lone wolf Terrorism in America: Forging a New Way of Looking at an Old Problem," Indiana University, p. 3, 2013.
- Hamm, M. S. and Spaaij, R., "Lone Wolf Terrorism: Using Knowledge of Radicalization Pathways to Forge Prevention Strategies," U.S. Department of Justice, 2015.
- Han, H., "A National Security and Counterterrorism Policy-An In-depth Study on the NCTC of the U.S.A.," Counterterrorism Research Journal, Vol. 8, pp. 554-555, 2012.
- Henry Jackson Society, "Sydney siege: The West faces growing threat of 'small scale, lone wolf' terrorism," International Business times, www.ibtimes.co.uk/sydneysiege-west-faces-growing-threat-smallscale-lone-wolf-terrorism-1479570, 2015.
- Hileary, C., "What motivates the Lone Wolf Terrorist?," Voice of America, 2013.
- Hoffman, B., "The Fort Hood Killer: Terrified … or Terrorist?," Time, 2009.
- Jasparro, C., "Lone Wolf: The Threat from Independent Jihadists," Jane's Intelligence Review, pp. 3-4, 2010.
- Jeon, G., "What are the Solutions for Dropout Teenagers?," Gyeonggido Family and Women's Research Institute Issue Brief, Vol. 44, p. 3, 2012.
- KBS, "Kim, who dissappeared in Turkey, Followers Increase…, Blocking 'IS' related Articles," KBS NEWS 9, news.kbs.co.kr/news/view.do?ncd=3007189, 2015.
- Kim, H., "Who is Pro-North Korean Internet Club Administrator Mr. Hwang? Who cried out Kim Jeongil Hooray in the court," The Chosun ilbo, news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2011/08/06/2011080600483.html, 2011.
- Kim, K., Sim, J., and Kim, S.," 'Glad to meet you' 'I want to join the IS' Kim's Twitter Followers are Increasing," The Kyunghyang Shinmun, news.khan.co.kr/kh_news/khan_art_view.html?artid=2015 01212210225&code=940202, 2015.
- Korea Internet and Security Agency(KISA), "Survey on the Internet Usage 2014," Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning and KISA, pp. 23-45, 2014.
- Korean Educational Development Institute (KEDI) and Korean Education Statistics Service, "Students of Multicultural era," 2013.
- Likar, L., Eco-warriors, Nihilist Terrorists, and The Environment, Praeger, Santa Barbara, California, 2011.
- Lee, H., "Terrorist March of IS, How should we Perceive?," Samsung Tomorrow, samsungtomorrow.com, 2015.
- Lee, M., "Al-Qaeda's plan for 'Seoul version 9.11 Terrorism'," Chogabje.com, www.chogabje.com/board/column/view.asp?C_IDX=58099&C_CC=BC, 2014.
- Lee, S., "A Survey on the Maladjustment of Students in School and a Proposal to Improve Their Self-Esteem," Journal of Human Completion, Vol. 1, pp. 12-13, 2009.
- Makuch, B., "The Psychology of a 'Lone Wolf' Terrorist," MOTHERBOARD, motherboard.vice.com/read/what-is-a-lonewolf-terrorist, 2014.
- Ministry of Justice and Korea Immigration Service, Statistical Yearbook of Immigration, 2013.
- Ministry of Unification, "North Korean Defectors and South-North Korean Integration," Institute for Unification Education, p. 2, 2013.
- Ministry of Unification, "Policy towards North Korean Defectors," Ministry of Unification, www.unikorea.go.kr/content.do?cmsid=3099.
- Moskalenko, S. and McCauley, C., "Mechanisms of Political Radicalization: Pathways toward Terrorism," Terrorism and Political Violence, Vol. 20, p. 422, 2008.
- Moskalenko, S. and McCauley, C., "The Psychology of Lone-Wolf Terrorism," Counselling Psychology Quarterly, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 120-122, pp. 420-422, 2011.
- No, J., "67.6% of Defectors are Satisfied with Life in South Korea," Radio Free Asia, www.rfa.org/korean/in_focus/ne-nj-02092015090817.html, 2015.
- Oh, I., "Relations between School Bullying Victimization and Psychological Problems among Students from Multicultural Families: A Focus on Mediation Effect of Psychological Well-being," Asian Journal of Education, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 231-233, 2014.
- Pantucci, R., "A Typology of Lone Wolves: Preliminary analysis of Lone Islamist Terrorists," ICSR, 2011.
- Pantucci, R., "What Have We Learned about Lone Wolves from Anders Behring Breivik?," Perspectives on Terrorism, Vol. 5, No. 6, pp. 7-12, 2011.
- Park, H., "The Sorrows of the Mentally Ill. No Investment and No Consideration," Modern Health News, www.hnews.kr/n_news/news/view.html?page_code=&area_code=&no=28420&code=20110207145315_9064&s_code=20110207150058_0398&ds_code=, 2015.
- Park, J., "Multicultural Children, Game Addiction Rate 3 times more... I'm Korean only in the games," The Chosun Ilbo, news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2012/02/07/2012020700135.html, 2012.
- Park, T., Kim, S., Jang, J., A Study of Factors Influencing the Intention to Share the Information Security Knowledge on SNS(Social Network Services), The Journal of Society for e-Business Studies, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 6-7, 2015.
- Spaaij, R., "Understanding Lone Wolf Terrorism: Global Patterns, Motivations and Prevention," Springer, London, New York; Springer, p. 5, 2012.
- Spaaij, R., "What makes a 'lone wolf' terrorists?," La Trobe News, La Trobe University, pp. 1-8, 2011.
- Springer, N. R., "Patterns of Radicalization: Identifying the Makers and Warning Signs of Domestic Wolf Terrorists in Our Midst," pp. 13-24, 2009.
- Suh, B. and Park, J., The Impact of Opinion Leadership on the Attitude Change by the Direction of Word-of-Mouth under the Online Social Networking Service Environment, The Journal of Society for e-Business Studies, Vol. 18 No. 2, p. 4, 2013.
- Terrorism Information Integration Center, "2014 Terrorism Report," pp. 8-11, 2015.
- Um, B. and Kwon, S., "Hassan, the one Kim aid to meet, Appears in the List of Executives of the IS Turkey Branch," The Chosun Ilbo, news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2015/01/21/2015012104267.html, 2015.
- United States Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, 2008.
- Weimann, G., "Lone Wolves in Cyberspace," Journal of Terrorism Research, Vol. 3, No. 2, 2012.
- Yoo, D., Cyberspace and National Security, Book and People, Seoul, p. 39, pp. 12-13, pp. 92-94, 2012.
- Yoon, G., Yoo, S., Kim, S., and Lim, J., A Longitudinal Survey and Support Plan for Dropouts, National Youth Policy Institute, Seoul, pp. 205-207, 2013.
- Yoon, I., Song, B., Kim, S., Song, J., and Song, Y., "The Migrant Workers' Influence to the Korean Economy, Society and the Koreans' Perception on the Migrant Workers," Asian Human Rights Center, pp. 109-111, 2009.
- Yoon, S., "Tic Disorder, ADHD, Relaxation of the Brain is Necessary," Naeil Shinmun, m.naeil.com/m_news_view.php?id_art=150124, 2015.
- Zimbardo, P., "Lucifer Effect: Investigating Social Dynamics(ch.12)," Penguin Random House, 2007.