- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Problems and Policy Implementation for Open-Source Software Industry in Korea: Soft System Methodology Approach
소프트시스템 모델 방법론을 통해 진단한 국내 공개 SW 산업의 문제점과 정책전략 연구
Kang, Songhee;Shim, Dongnyok;Pack, Pill Ho
- Received : 2015.10.19
- Accepted : 2015.11.21
- Published : 2015.11.30
In knowledge based society, information technology (IT) has been playing a key role in economic growth. In recent years, it is surprisingly notable that the source of value creation moved from hardware to software in IT industry. Especially, among many kinds of software products, the economic potential of open source was realized by many government agencies. Open source means software codes made by voluntary and open participation of worldwide IT developers, and many policies to promote open source activities were implemented for the purpose of fast growth in IT industry. But in many cases, especially in Korea, the policies promoting open source industry and its ecosystem were not considered successful. Therefore, this study provides the practical reasons for the low performance of Korean open source industry and suggests the pragmatic requisites for effective open source policy. For this purpose, this study applies soft system model (SSM) which is frequently used in academy and industry as a methodology for problem-solving and we link the problems with corresponding policy solutions based on SSM. Given concerns which Korean open source faces now, this study suggests needs for the three different kinds of government policies promoting multiple dimensions of industry: research and development (R&D)-side, supply-side, and computing environment-side. The implications suggested by this research will contribute to implement the practical policy solutions to boost open source industry in Korea.
Open Source Software;Ecosystem;Soft-System Methodology;Government Policy
- Baek, H. and Oh, S., "Identifying the Network Characteristics of Contributors That Affect Performance in Open Collaboration: Focusing on the GitHub Open Source," The Journal of Society for e-Business Studies, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 23-43, 2015. https://doi.org/10.7838/jsebs.2015.20.1.023
- Checkland, P. B., "Soft systems methodology," Human systems management, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 273-289, 1989.
- Chesbrough, H., "Open Innovation: Reaching a New Paradigm," Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Choi, J. H. et al., "The Reinforcing Mechanism of Sustaining Participations in Open Source Software Developers: Based on Social Identity Theory and Organizational Citizenship Behavior Theory," Asia Pacific Jornal of Information Systems, Vol. 23. No. 3, pp. 1-23, 2013.
- Choi, J. H., "Major issues and status of R&D collaboration of SMEs," KISTEP Trends breifings, 2012.
- Comino, S., "Public intervention for Free/Open Source Software," SSRN eLibrary, 2010.
- European Commission, "Issues in open source procurement in the European public sector I," Joinup project, 2012.
- Evans, D. S., "Politics and programming: Government preferences for promoting open source software. Government Policy toward Open Source Software," AEI-Brooking Joint center for Regulatory Studies, pp. 34-49, 2002.
- Gerloff, K., "Free software policies in Europe: Experience and evaluation," Free software Foundation Europe, 2013.
- Hillenius, G., "Free and Open source software Across the EU," International Free and Open source software Law Review, Vol. 5, No. 2, 2013.
- Hollmann, V. et al., "Examining success factors of open source software repositories: the case of OSOR.eu portal," International Journal of Business Information system, Forthcoming, 2013.
- Hwang, J., Kim, E., and Kim, S., "Factors affecting open technological innovation in open source software companies in Korea," Innovation, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 279-290, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5172/impp.11.3.279
- Jung, S. and No, H., "A Restructuring Strategy for the National Logistics Systems of Korea Using Soft System Methodology," Korean transportation Research, Vol. 17, No. 3, 2012.
- Kim, T. Y., Kim, E., Park, J., and Hwang, J., "The faster-accelerating digital economy," In Economic Growth (pp. 163-191), Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2014.
- Ko, D. S. and Gu, B. G., "Study on the Barrier of Introduction and Use of Open Source Software," Proceedings of Korean Institute of Information Technology Summer Conference, pp. 677-683, 2012.
- Lee, Z. K., Lee, M. H., and Chu, Y. H., "Open Collaboration Innovation Methodology (OCIM): A Methodology for New Service Development," The Journal of Society for e-Business Studies, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 49-70, 2011. https://doi.org/10.7838/jsebs.2011.16.1.049
- Less competitive Korean Open Source SW industry desperately want "community support," http://www.etnews.com/20150626000204, Accessed 20th Nov, 2015.
- Lewis, J., "Government Open Source Policies," 7th update of CSIS Open source Policy survey, 2010.
- Lock in of Operating system, www.spri.kr, Accessed 9th Oct, 2015.
- National IT industry Promotion Agency, "Introduction of foreign open source software," Policy study, 2013.
- National IT industry Promotion Agency, "Policy review for open source software in developed countries," IT R&D policy review, 2013.
- National IT industry Promotion Agency, "Study on the policy for Open source industry in leading countries," 2009.
- National IT industry Promotion Agency, "Study on the Trends in International Policies towards Open source industry," 2007.
- Oh, J., "A Long-range Restructuring Strategy for the National Logistics Systems in Korea," The Korea Transport Institute, pp. 1-224, 2009.
- Schmidt, K. M. and Schnitzer, M., "Public Subsidies for open source-Some Economic Policy Issues of the Software Market," Harv. JL&Tech, Vol. 16, p. 473, 2002.
- Seo, G. W. et al., A detailed measurement methodology for qualitative performance indicators of National R&D Project, KISTEP Issue Paper 2014-09, 2014.
- Seoul National University, School of Engineering, The Time of Accumulation, Knowledge nomad, Inc., Seoul, Korea, 2015.
- Song, W., "The Innovation Characteristics of Open Source Software: A Review," Journal of Korea technology innovation society, Vol. 5, No. 2, 2003.
- Statistical system of demand forecasting, www.swit.or.kr, Accessed 9th Oct, 2015.
- Tcheun, M., "Open source software and software Industry," Communications of the Korean Institute of Information Scientists and Engineer, Vol. 20, No. 12, 2002.
- UK Office of Government Commerce, "Open source software trials in government final report," Cabinet office, 2004.
- UK, "Open Source Software Options for Government 2.0," Cabinet office, 2013.