- Volume 43 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Physical and Mechanical Properties of Castanopsis cuspidata var. sieboldii according to Stand Characteristics in the Southern Region of Korea
남부지역 구실잣밤나무의 임분특성 및 지역별 물리·역학적 특성
- Received : 2015.10.16
- Accepted : 2015.11.13
- Published : 2015.11.25
Since physical and mechanical properties of wood are affected by environmental factors such as soil and climate change, this study investigated relationships between wood quality factors and stand characteristics of Castanopsis cuspidata var. sieboldii forest in the southern region of Korea, including Jeollanam-do Province and Je-ju island. The obtained results found very close relationships between physical and mechanical properties of wood and stand characteristics. The air-dried density and strength performance of woods showed a negative correlation with the diameter at breast height (DBH) while they were positively related to altitude and drainage of the forest site. And wood properties showed variations depending on the region. These results brought a conclusion that wood of Castanopsis cuspidata var. sieboldii in the southern region could be useful forest resources for timber production.
Castanopsis cuspidata var. sieboldii Nakai;standing wood properties;physical and mechanical properties
- Abe, H. 2005. Present state and future prospects of research on wood anatomy and wood quality. Journal of The Korean Wood Science and Technology 54(1): 7-9.
- Albrecht, M.A., McCarthy, B.C. 2006. Effects of prescribed fire and thinning on tree recruitment patterns in central hardwood forests. Forest Ecology and Management 226(1-3): 88-103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2005.12.061
- Allen, R.H., Marquis. D.A. 1970. Effect of thinning on height and diameter growth of Oak and Yellow-poplar saplings. Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. USA. 11-26.
- Chong, S.-H., Chung, D.-J., Park, B.-S., Lee, D.-S., Cho, S.-T., Seo, J.-W. 2002. Wood properties of Castanopsis cuspidata var. sieboldii Nakai. Journal of the Korea furniture Society 13(3): 8-15.
- Han, M.-S., Lee, C.-J., Park, B.-S., Kim, B.-R. 2014. Studies on wood quality and growth of Quercusrubra (24 years old) in korea - physical and mechanical properties -. Journal of The Korean Wood Science and Technology 42(3): 327-338. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2014.42.3.327
- Hong, N.-E., Won, K.-R., Yoo, B.-O., Jung, S.-Y., Byeon, H.-S. Mechanical properties of Cryptomeria japonica by the differences of stand characteristics in southern region of korea. Journal of The Korean Wood Science and Technology 43(3): 320-326.
- Kim, B.-R. 1995. Studies on variability in wood properties in tree stems of Pinus koraiensis (I). Journal of The Korean Wood Science and Technology 23(1): 28-34.
- Kim, J.-H., Kim, D.-H., Lee, D.-H. 2015. Effects of fertilizer treatment on the growth characteristics of 2-years old Pinus koraiensis siebold & zucc container seedlings. Journal of Agriculture & Life Science 49(1): 63-70.
- Ko, Y.-J., Song, S.-M., Hyun, W.-C., Yang, S.-K., Song, C.-K., Lee, D.-S., Yoon, W.-J. 2014. Anti-inflammatory effect of Castanopsis cuspidata extracts in murine macrophage RAW 264.7 cells. Korean J. Plant Res. 27(5): 439-446. https://doi.org/10.7732/kjpr.2014.27.5.439
- Lee, S.-J., An, K.-W., Choi, T.-S., Jung, H.-S., Moon, J.-H., Park, K.-H. 2010. Component analysis and antioxidative activity of Castanopsis cuspidata var. sieboldii nut. Korean Journal of Food Preservation 17(1): 139-144.
- Oh, K.-K., Choi, W.-K. 2007. Monitoring on evergreen broad-leaved forest restoration in dadohaehaesang national park. Korean Journal of Environment and Ecology 21(5): 449-455.
- Oh, K.-K., Park, S.-G. 2003. Conservation status and restoration of evergreen broad-leaved forests in warm temperate region, korea. Korean Journal of Environment and Ecology 17(1): 71-81.
- Oh, K.-K., Shim, H.-Y. 2006. Distribution and population structure of evergreen broad-leaved forest in the Weolchulsan national park. Korean Journal of Environment and Ecology 20(2): 81-93.
- Paul, B.H. 1963. The application of silviculture in controlling the specific gravity of wood. USDA Forest Service Technology Bulletin 1288: 460-478.
- Shin, M.-Y., Chung, S.-T., Lee, D.-K. 2001. Estimation of microclimate by site types in natural deciduous forest and relation between periodic annual increment of diameter and the microclimatic estimates (a case study on the national forest in Pyungchung, Kangwon Province). Korean Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 3(1): 44-54.
- Wignall, T.A., Browining, G. 1988. The effects of stand thinning and artificial shading on epicormic bud emergence in pedunculate Oak (Quercus robur L.). Forestry 61(1): 45-59. https://doi.org/10.1093/forestry/61.1.45
- Won, K.-R., Hong, N.-E., Lee, K.-S., Jung, S.-Y., Yoo, B.-O., Park, Y.-B., Chong, S.-H., Byeon, H.-S. 2014. Physical and mechanical properties of Quercus serrata according to stand characteristics in southern region of korea. Journal of The Korean Wood Science and Technology 42(6): 659-665. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2014.42.6.659
- Physical and Mechanical Properties of Quercus glauca Thunberg according to Forest Stand Characteristics vol.44, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2016.44.5.767
Supported by : 국립산림과학원