- Volume 43 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Applicability Study on Reticulitermes speratus kyushuensis (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae) Colony Eliminator to Preserve Wooden Cultural Heritage
일본흰개미 아종 모니터링 및 군체제거를 위한 예찰제어기 개발 연구
- Received : 2015.03.05
- Accepted : 2015.07.24
- Published : 2015.11.25
This study is conducted to develop new termite colony elimination system that can control termite colony much faster, and to eco-environmentally prevent termite damage occurred in wooden cultural heritage. As a result of laboratory test, we developed a component system, of which fipronil 0.001% (w/w) treated bait was used as a suitable termite colony eliminator. This system can be monitored without taking off underground, and it makes regular monitoring much more efficient. The result of field test showed that 36 termite baiting devices among 367 installed devices were damaged by foraging termites. After baiting, all of termite colonies attracted to devices were eliminated or their activity clearly decreased.
termite;wooden cultural heritage;termite monitoring;colony baiting
- Bagneres, A.G., Picheon, A., Hope, J., Davis, R.W., Clement, J.L. 2009. Contact Versus Feeding Intoxication by Fipronil in Reticulitermes Termite (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae): laboratory evaluation of toxicity, uptake, clearance, and transfer among individuals. Journal of Economic Entomology 102(1): 347-356. https://doi.org/10.1603/029.102.0145
- Delaplane, K.S., LaFage, J.P. Foraging tenacity of Reticulitermes flavipes and Coptotermes formosanus (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae). Sociobiology 16: 183-189.
- Han, S.H., Lee, K.S., Chung, Y.J. 1998. Characteristic of Termite Inhabits in South Korea and the Control. Conservation Studies 19: 133-158.
- Huang, Q.Y., Lei, C.L., Dong, X. 2006. Field Evaluation of a Fipronil Bait Against Subterranean Termite Odontotermes formsanus (Isoptera: Termitidae). Journal of Economic Entomology 99(2): 455-461. https://doi.org/10.1603/0022-0493-99.2.455
- Jeong, S.Y., Lee, K.S., Chung, Y.J. 2002. Monitoring of Termite in Haeinsa Temple and Control Method. Conservation Studies 23: 77-93.
- Kim, D.W., Chung, Y.J. 2015, Biological Damage and Risk Assessment of the Wood Cultural Properties in Fire Prevention Area. Journal of The Korean Wood Science and Technology 43(1): 104-111. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2015.43.1.104
- Lee, K.S. 2004. Ecological Characteristics of Termite (Reticulitermes speratus kyushuensis) and its Control for Preservation of Wooden Cultural Properties. Ph.D thesis, Chungang University.
- Lee, K.S., Jeong, S.Y., Chung, Y.J. 2001. Termite monitoring and control managements for wooden building, Conservation Studies 22: 41-52.
- Morimoto, K. 1968. Termites of the Genus Reticulitermes of Japan and Taiwan. Bulletin Forest Research Institute 217: 43-72.
- Park, H.C., Bae, T.W. 1997. Morphological Description of Reticulitermes speratus kyushuensis Morimoto (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae) in Southern Part of Korea. Korean Journal of Soil Zoology 2(1): 59-64.
- Son, D.W., Lee, D.H. 2008. Evaluation on Termite Damage of the Traditional Wooden Building by Non-destructive Methods. Journal of The Korean Wood Science and Technology 36(1): 21-29.
- Spomer, N.A., Kamble, S.T. 2005. Effect of Temperature on Noviflumuron Performance against the Eastern Subterranean Termite (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae). Sociobiology 46: 335-348.
- Su, N.Y., Scheffrahn, R.H. 1993. Laboratory Evaluation of Two Chitin Synthesis Inhibitors Jexaflumuron and Diflubenzuron as Bait Toxicants. Journal of economic entomology 86: 1453-1457. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/86.5.1453
- Su, N.Y., Scheffrahn, R.H. 1996. A Review of the Evaluation Criteria for Bait-Toxicant Efficacy against Field Colonies of Subterranean Termite (Isoptera). Sociobiology 28: 521-530.
- Swoboda, I.E., Miller, D.M., Fell., R.J., Mullins, D.E. 2004. The Effect of Nutrient Compounds (sugars and amino-acids) on Bait Consumption by Reticulitermes spp.(Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae). Sociobiology 44: 547-563.
- Tsunoda, K., Hiroki, M., Tsuyoshi. Y. 1998. Colony Elimination of Reticulitermes speratus (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae) by Baiting Apllication and the Effect on Foraging Territory, Journal of Economic Entomology 91(6): 1383-1386. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/91.6.1383