- Volume 43 Issue 6
The Compact Tension (CT) type test was performed in order to evaluate the fracture toughness performance of glass fiber-reinforced laminated timber. Glass fiber textile and sheet Glass fiber reinforced plastic were used as reinforcement. The reinforced laminated timber was formed by inserting and laminating the reinforcement between laminated woods. Compact tension samples are produced under ASTM D5045. The sample length was determined by taking account of the end distance of 7D, and bolt holes (12 mm, 16 mm, 20 mm) had been made at the end of artificial notches in advance. The fracture toughness load of sheet fiberglass reinforced plastic reinforced laminated timber was increased 33 % in comparison to unreinforced laminated timber while the glass fiber textile reinforced laminated timber was increased 152 %. According to Double Cantilever Beam theory, the stress intensity factor was 1.08~1.38 for sheet glass fiber reinforced plastic reinforced laminated timber and 1.38~1.86 for glass fiber textile reinforced laminated timber, respectively. That was because, for the glass fiber textile reinforced laminated timber, the fiber array direction of glass fiber and laminated wood orthogonal to each other suppressed the split propagation in the wood.
glass fiber;reinforced laminated timber;fracture toughness;stress intensity factor
- Adams, D.F., Carlsson, L.F., Pipes, R.B. 2003. Experimental Characterization of Advanced Composite Materials, 3rd ed. CRC Press, Boca Raton.
- ASTM D 5045-99. 1999. Standard test methods for plane-strain fracture toughness and strain energy release rate of plastic materials. American Society of Testing and Materials. West Conshohocken, PA. United States.
- Kim, K.H., Hong, S.I. 2011. Bonding Performance of Glulam Reinforced with Textile Type of Glass- and Aramid-Fiber, GFRP and CFRP. Journal of The Korean Wood Science and Technology 39(2): 156-162. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2011.39.2.156
- Kim, K.H., Hong, S.I. 2015. Shear performance of glass fiber reinforced glulam bolted connection. Journal of The Korean Wood Science and Technology 43(5): 661-671. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2015.43.5.661
- KS F 2210. 2004. Method of cleavage test for wood. Korean Standards Association.
- Nuno, M.M.D., Marcelo F.S.F., Jose, J.L.M., Manuel A.L.S. 2010. Estimate of resistance-curve in wood through the double cantilever beam test. Holzforschung 64: 119-126.
- Sih, G.C., Paris, P.C., Irwin, G.R. 1965. On cracks in rectilinearly anisotropic bodies. International Journal of Fracture Mechanics 1: 189-203.
- Williams, J.G., Hadavinia, H. 2002. Analytical solutions for cohesive zone models. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 50: 809-825. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5096(01)00095-3
- Estimate of Bolt Connection Strength of Reinforced Glulam using Glass Fiber vol.44, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2016.44.1.67
Supported by : 한국 연구재단