- Volume 57 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Natural Ventilation Rates of Venlo-type Greenhouse Built on Reclaimed Lands using CFD
전산유체역학을 통한 간척지 내 벤로형 온실의 자연환기량 분석
Lee, Sang-Yeon;Lee, In-Bok;Kwon, Kyeong-Seok;Ha, Tae-Hwan;Yeo, Uk-Hyeon;Park, Se-Jun;Kim, Rack-Woo;Jo, Ye-Seul;Lee, Seung-No
- Received : 2015.10.06
- Accepted : 2015.10.16
- Published : 2015.11.30
Recently, the Korean government announced a new development plan for a large-scale greenhouse complex in reclaimed lands. Wind environments of reclaimed land are entirely different from those of inland. Many standard books for ventilation design didn't include qualitative standard for natural ventilation. In this study, natural ventilation rates were analyzed to suggest standard for ventilation design of venlo type greenhouse built on reclaimed land. CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) simulation models were designed according to the number of spans, wind conditions and vent openings. The wind profile at a reclaimed land was designed using ESDU (Engineering Sciences Data Unit) code. Using the designed CFD simulation model, ventilation rates were computed using mass flow rate and tracer gas decay method. Additionally computed natural ventilation rates were evaluated by comparing with ventilation requirements. As a result of this study, ventilation rates were decreased with increasing of the number of spans. Ventilation rates were linearly increased with increasing of wind speed. When the wind speed was
Computational Fluid Dynamics;greenhouse;reclaimed land;tracer gas decay;ventilation rate
- American Society of agricultural Engineering (ASAE), 2003. ASAE Standard: Heating, ventilating and cooling greenhouse. ASAE. St Joseph, Michigan. p. 699-707.
- Bartzanas, T., T. Boulard, and C. Kittas, 2002. Numerical simulation of the airflow and temperature distribution in a wind tunnel greenhouse equipped with insect-proof screen in openings. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 34: 207-221. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1699(01)00188-0
- Bartzanas, T., T. Boulard, and C. Kittas, 2004. Effect of vent arrangement on windward ventilation of a tunnel greenhouse. Biosystems Engineering 88: 479-490. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biosystemseng.2003.10.006
- Boulard, T., G. Papadakis, C. Kittas, and M. Mermier, 1997. Airflow and associated sensible heat exchanges in a naturally ventilated greenhouse. Agriculture and Forest Meteorology 88(1): 111-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1923(97)00043-9
- Boulard, T., and H. Fatnassi, 2005. Greenhouse aeration and climate optimization based on CFD studies. Plasticulture 124: 38-57.
- Bournet, P. E, S. A. Ould Khaoua, T. Boulard, C. Migeon, and G. Chasseriaux, 2007. Effect of roof and side opening combinations on the ventilation of a greenhouse using computer simulation. American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers 50: 201-212.
- Bournet, P. E., and T. Boulard, 2010. Effect of ventilator configuration on the distributed climate of greenhouse: A review of experimental and CFD studies. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 74: 195-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compag.2010.08.007
- Campen, J. B., and G.P.A. Bot, 2003, Determination of greenhousespecific aspects of ventilation using three-dimensional computational fluid dynamics. Biosystems Engineering 84(1): 69-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1537-5110(02)00221-0
- Franke, J., C. Hirsch, A. G. Jensen, H. W. Krus, M. Schatzmann, P. S. Westbury, S. D. Miles, J. A. Wisse, and N, G. Wright, 2004. Recommendations on The Use of CFD in Wind Engineering. In Cost action C 14: p.C1.
- Ha, J.S., 2015. Evaluation of natural ventilation efficiency of protected cultivation system in reclaimed land using aerodynamic simulation. MS. diss., Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea. (in Korean).
- Hellickson, M.A., and J.N. Walker, 1983. Ventilation of agricultural structures. ASAE. St. Joseph, Michigan.
- Hong, S.W., I.B. Lee, N.K. Yun, H.S. Hwang, I.H. Seo, J. P. Bitog, J.I. Yoo, K.S. Kwon, and Y.H. Kim, 2008. Analytical comparison on ventilation efficiencies of naturally-ventilated multi-span greenhouses. Proceedings of Bio-Environment Control 17(1): 229-232 (in Korean).
- Hong, S.W., I.B. Lee, H.S. Hwang, I.H. Seo, J. P. Bitog, J.I. Yoo, K.S. Kim, S.H. Lee, K.W. Kim, and N.K. Yoon, 2008. Numerical simulation of ventilation efficiencies of naturally ventilated multi-span greenhouse in Korea. Transactions of the ASABE 51(4): 1417-1432. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.25235
- Hoxey, R. P., and P. J. Richards, 1992. Structures of the atmospheric boundary layer below 25m and implications to wind loading on low-rise buildings. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industry of Aerodynamics 44(2): 317-327.
- Kittas, C., T. Boulard, M. Mermier, and G. Papadakis, 1996. Wind induced air exchange rates in a greenhouse tunnel with continuous side openings. Journal of Agricultural Engineering Research 65(1): 37-49. https://doi.org/10.1006/jaer.1996.0078
- Korean Meteorological Administration (KMA), 2014. http://www.kma.go.kr Accessed 1 July 2014.
- Korea Rural Community Corporation (KRC), 1997. Design Standards for Greenhouse Environment. Research report 97-05-06. (in Korean).
- Kwon, J.K., S.H. Lee, J.H. Seong, J.P. Moon, S.J. Lee, B.M. Choi, and K.J. Kim, 2011. Analysis of natural ventilation characteristics of venlo-type greenhouse with continuous roof vents. Journal of Biosystems Engineering 36(6): 444-452. https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2011.36.6.444
- Lee, I.B., and T. Short, 2000. Two-dimensional numerical simulation of natural ventilation in a full-scale naturally ventilated greenhouse. Transaction of the ASAE (44): 119-127.
- Lindley, J.A., and J.H. Whitaker, 1996. Agricultural Building and structures. ASAE. St. Joseph, Michigan.
- Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MIFAFF), 2010. Notification of using Reclaimed Land, No. 2010-47. (in Korean).
- Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MIFAFF), 2014. Major statistics data of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs. 11-1543000-000128-10. (in Korean).
- Mistriotis, A., G. Bot, P. Picuno, and G. Searascia-Mugnozza, 1997. Discharge coefficients of greenhouse windows with insect screens. Acta Horticulture 443: 71-77.
- Natural Resource, Agriculture and Engineering service (NRAES), 1994. Greenhouse engineering. NRAES. Ithaca, New York.
- Richardson, G. M., and P. A. Blackmore, 1995. The Silsoe structures building: Comparison of 1:100 model-scale data with full-scale data. Journal of Engineering and Industry of Aerodynamics 57(1): 191-201. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(94)00114-S
- Rural Development Administration (RDA), 1997. Design Standard of Korean glass greenhouse.
- Sase, S., T. Takakura, and M. Nara, 1984. Wind tunnel testing on airflow and temperature distribution of a naturally ventilated greenhouse. Acta Horticulture 148: 329-336.
Supported by : 농촌진흥청