- Volume 57 Issue 6
Traditional structure analysis method is based on numerical matrix analysis to use the geometries consisting of the structure. The characteristics require a lot of computer memories and computational time. To avoid these weaknesses, new approach to analyze truss structure was suggested by adopting topological load redistribution method. The axial forces to be not structurely analyzed yet against outside loads were redistributed by using nodal equation of equilibrium randomly at each node without constructing global matrix. However, this method could not calculate the axial forces if structure is statically indeterminate due to degree of many indeterminacies. Therefore, to apply the method suggested in this research, all redundancies of truss structure were replaced by unit loads. Each unit load could make the deformation of a whole structure, and a superposition method was finally adopted to solve the simultaneous equations. The axial forces and deflections agreed with the result of commercial software within the relative error of 1 %, whereas in the case that the axial forces are relatively very smaller than others, the relative errors were increased to 2 %. However, as the values were small enough not to be considered, it was practically useful as a structural analysis model. This model will be used for structural analysis of truss type of large structure such as agricultural farming facility.
indeterminate truss structure analysis;topological load redistribution method;superposition method
- Afflerbach, L., 1990. Criteria for the assessment of random number generators. Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics 31(1): 3-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-0427(90)90330-3
- Denke, P. H., 1962. A general digital computer analysis of statically indeterminate structures, NASA-TD-D01666.
- Fokkema, D. R., G. L. G., Sleijpen, and H. A. V. der Vorst, 1996. Generalized conjugate gradient squared. Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics 71(1): 125-146. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-0427(95)00227-8
- Fuchs, M. B., 1997. Topological structural analysis. Structural Optimization 13(2-3): 104-111. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01199228
- Gere, J. M., 2006. Mechanics of Materials - 6th Edition. Thomson Learning, Inc.
- Ghaboussi, J. W. X., 1998. Soft computing with neural networks for engineering applications: fundamental issues and adaptive approaches. Structural Engineering and Mechanics 6(8): 955-969. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.19220.127.116.115
- Go, J. G., M. Y., Oh, J. G., Jo, J. Y., Lee, and S. H., Lee, 1988. Analysis and design of statically indeterminate structure. Seoul National University (in Korean).
- Han, Y. C., 2012. Analysis of the socio-geometric systems and continuum structures using complex network theory. Ph.D dissertation, Seoul National University, South Korea.
- Kaveh, A., 2004. Structural Mechanics: Graph and Matrix Methods - 3th Edition. Research Studies Press LTD.
- Keneko, L., M., Lawo, and G. Thierauf, 2005. On computational procedures for the force methods. International Journal of Numerical Methods in Engineering 18(10); 1469-1495.
- Kreyszig, E., 2010. Advanced Engineering Mathematics - 10th Edition. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Kuran, B., and H. N., Ozguven, 1996. A modal superposition method for non-linear structures. Journal of Sound and Vibration 189(3): 315-339. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.1996.0022
- Lee, S. H., H. J., Kim, Y. J., Park, H. G., Hahm, and B. S., Kong, 2011. Model tests study on flow-induced vibration of truss type lift gate. The Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 53(3): 35-41 (in Korean).
- Lee, S. H., W. S., Chung, and J. H., Lee, 2011. Structural analysis of space truss by using new force method based on singular value decomposition. Computational Structural Engineering Institute of Korea 24(5): 481-489 (in Korean).
- McCormac, J. C., 2010. Structural analysis using classical and matrix methods. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Peter, V. O'Neil, 2010. Advanced Engineering Mathematics - 7th Edition. Cengage Learning.
- Rangan, B. V., and A. S., Hall, 1984. Moment redistribution in flat plate floors. American Concrete Institute 81(6): 601-608.
- Robinson, J., 1973. Integrated theory of finite element method. John Wiley and New York.
- Stroud, K. A., and D. J., Booth, 2013. Engineering Mathematics. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Topcu, A., 1979. A contribution to the systematic analysis of finite element structures using the force method. Ph.D dissertation, Essen University, Germany (in German).
- Ystrom J., Fast solvers for complex problems. Http://machinedesign.com/archive/fast-solvers-complex-problems. Accessed 14 Oct. 2015.
- Zingoni A., 2001. Structural Engineering, Mechanics and Computation. ELSEVIER.