- Volume 57 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Changes in Shear Strength of Bottom ash through the Particle Breakage
입자파쇄에 따른 Bottom ash의 전단강도 변화
Yun, Tae-Kang;Son, Young-Hwan;Park, Jae-Sung;Noh, Soo-Kack;Bong, Tae-ho;Kim, Dong-Geun
- Received : 2015.02.10
- Accepted : 2015.11.05
- Published : 2015.11.30
Bottom ash and fly ash are by-product from thermoelectric power plants. Fly ash is recycled to various field. However, though an output of bottom ash have increased each year, most of them is reclaimed in ash landfill. It is necessary to find a solution that bottom ash is recycled economically and know characteristics of bottom ash to recycle. It is goal to investigate engineering properties of bottom ash, especially the particle breakage, to recycle that. Bottom ash was crushed by impact method according to compaction energy and then compared with or original sample and crushed it in terms of particle size distribution and characteristics of strength. In result, after crushed it, particle finer was increased, especially 2~0.85 mm size, than original. It was displayed a tendency that internal friction of crushed sample was decreased but cohesion of it was not. Therefore, it is important to investigate the engineering properties of bottom ash in terms of the particle breakage to use construction materials for various field.
Bottom ash;Friction angle;Cohesion;Particle breakage
- Choi, W. S., Y. H. Son, J. S. Park, S. K. Noh, and T. H. Bong, 2013. Analysis of Strength Characteristic for Bottom Ash Mixtures as Mixing Ratio and Curing Methods. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 55(3): 129-140. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2013.55.3.129
- Chun, B. S., Y. I. Koh, M. Y. Oh, and H. S. Kwon, 1990. Studies on engineering properties of coal ash obtained as industrial wastes. Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers 10(1): 115-124. (in Korean)
- Ham, T. G., M. Hyodo, and Y. Nakata, 2007. Single Particle Crushing Properties of Decompose Granite Soil. KSCE Conference & Civil Expo 2007 949-952. (in Korean)
- Hardin, B.O., 1985. Crushing of soil particles. Journal of Geotechnical Engineering 111(10): 1177-1192. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1985)111:10(1177)
- Huang, W. H., and C. W. Lovell, 1990. Bottom Ash as Embankment Material. ASTM Special Technical Publication 1070: 71-85.
- Jeoung, C. S., and J. H. Yang, 2000. The Effects of Compaction Water Contents and Particle Crushing for Compacted Decomposed Granite Soil. Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers 20(3-C): 269-279. (in Korean)
- Jung, S. H., M. J. Choe, B. C. Lee, and Y. J. Choi, 2010. An Experimental Study on Bottom Ash for Utilization of Subbase Materials. Journal of Korean Recycled Construction Resources Institute 5(4): 89-98. (in Korean)
- Kim, C. G., W. J. Choi., Y. K, Choi, and J. S. Jeong, 1996. Study on ShearStrength Characteristics of Weathering Granite Soil for Particle - Crushing KSCE Conference & Civil Expo 1996 445-448. (in Korean)
- Kim, J. Y., Y. H. Lee, and J. S. Lee, 2001. The Effects of Fines on the Mechanical Characteristics in Compacted Decomposed Grinite Soils. Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers 21(4-C): 465-470. (in Korean)
- Kim, S. C., 2009. Applicability Study of Bottom Ash for Use of Sand Mat Material, M. S. diss., Suncheon, Korea; Suncheon National University. (in Korean)
- Kuk, K. K., H. Y. Kim, and B. S. Chun, 2010. A study on the engineering characteristics of power plant coal ash. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering 11(5): 25-34. (in Korean)
- Lade, P. V., J. A. Yamamuro, and P. A. Bopp, 1996. Significance of particle crushing in granular materials. Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, ASCE, 122(4): 309-316. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1996)122:4(309)
- Lee, Y. H., 2008. A study on the utilization of bottom ash as a substitute material for sand in vertical drain. Master's degree, Hanyang University. (in Korean)
- Marsal, R. J., 1967. Large Scale Testing of Rockfill Materials. Journal of Soil Mech. and Foundation Division, ASCE, 93(2): 27-43.
- Miura, N., and S. O-hara, 1979. Particle crushing of a decomposed granite soil under shear stresses. Soils and Found., Tokyo, Japan, 19(3): 61-76. https://doi.org/10.3208/sandf1972.19.3_61
- Miura, N., and T. Yamanouchi, 1971. Drained shear characteristics of standard sand under high confining pressures, Proc. of the Japan Society of Civil Engineers. 1971(193): 69-79. (in Japanese)
- Muhardi, A. Marto, K. A. Kassim, A. M. Makhtar, L. F. Wei, and Y. S. Lim, 2010. Engineering characteristics of Tanjung bin coal ash. Electronic Journal of Geotechnical Engineering 15: 1117-1129.
- Noh, S. K., Y. H. Son, P. W. Chang, and S. P. Kim, 2006. Analysis of Effect of Compaction Energy on Characters of Grain Size Distribution, Comapation and Permeability Using Fragmentation Fractal. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 48(6): 59-67. (in Korean)
- Park, J. S., W. S. Choi, T. W. Kim, and Y. H. Son, 2012. Evaluation of environmental stability and geochemical properties of coal combustion products. The 2012 KSAE Annual Conference. (in Korean)
- Rogbeck, J., and A. Knutz, 1996. Coal bottom ash as light fill material in construction. Waste Management 16(1): 125-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0956-053X(96)00035-9
- Sim, J. G., 1998. A line of policy for recycling wastes. Journal of The Korean Society for Environmental Education 11(1): 7-20. (in Korean)
- Son, Y. H.., and P. W. Chang, 2009. Breakage Index of Weathered Soil Reflecting Breakage Level and Weathering Degree. KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering 13(5): 325-332. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-009-0325-z
Supported by : 한국연구재단