- Volume 57 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Dynamic Characteristics of the Long Span Truss-Type Lift Gate by Model Test
모형실험에 의한 장지간 트러스형 리프트 게이트의 진동 특성
Lee, Seong Haeng;Hahm, Hyung-Gil;Ryu, Goang Sik
- Received : 2014.09.01
- Accepted : 2015.11.09
- Published : 2015.11.30
An experimental study of model truss-type vertical gate consisting of a truss and a plate was presented in this paper to examine the structural dynamics of the gates. A 1:61 scale model was constructed for the 95 m prototype gate using an acrylic truss and an acrylonitrile butadiene styrene plate. The scaled model was tested in a 1.6 m wide concrete flume for two orientations to determine the effects of gate orientation on structural vibrations. Natural frequencies of the model gate was measured and calibrated with FEM predictions. Vertical vibrations were measured under various operational conditions, including a range of bottom opening heights and different upstream and downstream water levels. The gate model with reverse direction was preferred due to its low overall vibrational response and flow level combinations. The test results also provide a basic dataset for development of operations guidelines that minimize flow-induced vibrations of the gates.
Installation direction;95 m gate;Truss-type lift gate;Model test;Vibration amplitude
- Deltawerken on line. 2012. Hartel barrier. www.deltawerken.com/Hartel-barrier/331.htm.
- Dircke, P. T. M, T. H. G. Jongeling, and P. l. M. Jansen, 2010. An overview and comparison of navigable storm surge barriers, Innovative Dam Levee Design and Construction.: 65-87.
- Gajanan, M. S., G. H. Harry, N. W. Richard, and M. Saeed, 1983. Structural Modeling and Experimental Techniques. Prentice-Hall Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics Series: 1-60.
- Hardwick, J. D., 1974. Flow-Induced Vibration of Vertical Lift Gate, Journal of the Hydraulics Division, ASCE, 100(HY5), Proc. Paper 10546: 631-644.
- Hughes, S. A., 1993. Physical Models and Laboratory Techniques in Coastal Engineering, World Scientific, New Jersey.
- Kolkman, P. A., 1976. Flow-induced Gate Vibrations. Prevention of Self-excitation. Delft Hydraulics laboratory, Publication no. 164: 1-162.
- Lee, S. H., 2004. Model Tests Study on Flow-induced Vibration of Tainter gate in Estuary Sulices (I). Journal of the korean society of agricultural engineers 46(1): 27-34 (in Korean).
- Lee, S. H., H. J. Kim, Y. J. Park, H. G. Hahm, and B. S. Kong, 2011. Model Tests Study on Flow-induced Vibration of Type Lift Gate, Journal of the korean society of agricultural engineers, 53(3), 35-41 (in Korean).
- Lee, S. H., D. W. Shin, K. N. Kim, and K. S. Jung, 2012a. Dynamic Characteristic of Truss Type Lift Gate by Model Tests, Journal of the korean society of civil engineers, 32(6A), 337-345 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.12652/Ksce.2012.32.6A.337
- Lee, S. H., H. J. Kim, D. W. Yang, H, G. Hahm, B. S. Kong, and D, W. Shin, 2012b. Dynamic Characteristic of Lift Gate Supported by Plane Truss. Journal of the korean society of agricultural engineers 54(3): 133-139 (in Korean).
- Thang, N.D., 1990. Gate Vibrations due to Unstable Flow Separation. Journal of Hydraulics Engineering 116(3): 342-361. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(1990)116:3(342)
- Dynamic Characteristics of Truss-Type Lift Gate According to Installation Direction vol.17, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.12.120