- Volume 57 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Management of Ponding Depth and Discharge Filtration from Paddy Fields for Controlling Non-point Source Pollution
논 비점오염 저감을 위한 담수위 관리와 배출수 여과의 효과 분석
Choi, Yonghun;Kim, Youngjin;Kim, Seounghee;Kim, Minyoung
- Received : 2015.07.08
- Accepted : 2015.11.09
- Published : 2015.11.30
Field study was carried out to assess the effect of automatic inlet and filtration outlet to reduce non-point source discharge and save agricultural irrigation water from paddy. The comparison of control and treated plots showed that irrigation water was saved up to 58 mm and discharge water was reduced up to 110 mm. The filtration outlet improved the discharge water quality for SS, COD, TN and TP up to 60.1 %, 0.1 %, 4.5 %, and 26.0 %, respectively. Overall, the findings of this study indicated that non-point source pollution discharged from paddy fields where automatic inlet and filtration outlet were installed could be reduced 266.3 kg/ha/yr in SS, 10.3 kg/ha/yr in COD, 1.22 kg/ha/yr in TN, and 0.10 kg/ha/yr in TP, respectively. This clearly showed that the automatic inlet and filtration outlet are effective management method for saving of agricultural water and protecting water environment.
Automatic inlet;filtration outlet;Paddy;Irrigation water;Non-point source pollution
- Choi, J.D., 2005. Measurement of non-point source pollution load discharges. Hanam, Gyeonggi, Korea: Han River Water Shed Environmental Management Office (in Korean).
- Choi, J.D., G.Y. Kim, W.J. Park, M.H. Shin, Y.H. Choi, S.I. Lee, S.J. Kim, and D.K. Yun, 2014a. Effect of SRI water management on water quality and greenhouse gas emissions in Korea. Irrig. and Drain. 63: 263-270. https://doi.org/10.1002/ird.1843
- Choi, J.K., J.G. Son, K.S. Yoon, H.J. Lee, and Y.J. Kim, 2012. Runoff characteristics in paddy field using cow manure compost fertilizer. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers, 54(3): 29-36 (in Korean).
- Choi, Y.H., S.B. Lee, Y.J. Kim, S.H. Kim, M.Y. Kim, and M.K. Oh, 2014b. Field application of automatic inlet and turbidity control outlet in paddy. Korean J. Int. Agric, 26(4): 550-555 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.12719/KSIA.2014.26.4.550
- Han, K.H., 2011. Characteristics of non-point sources pollutant loads at paddy plot located at the valley watershed during irrigation periods. Journal of Korean National Committee on Irrigation and Drainage, 18(1): 94-102 (in Korean).
- Han, K.H., J.H. Kim, K.S. Yoon, J.Y. Cho, W.I. Kim, S.G. Yun, and J.T. Lee, 2007. Effluent characteristics of nonpoint source pollutant loads at paddy fields during cropping period. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert, 40(1): 18-24 (in Korean).
- Jeon, J.H., C.G. Yoon, J.K. Choi, and K.S. Yoon, 2005. The comparison of water budget and nutrient loading from paddy field according to the irrigation methods. Korean J. Limnol, 38(1): 118-127 (in Korean).
- Jung, J.W., K.S. Yoon, W.J. Choi, W.Y. Choi, S.H. Lee, N.I. Chang, S.K. Hong, and S.H. Joo, 2008. Analysis of purification capacity of paddy fields using nutrient balance. Journal of korean wetlands society, 10(3): 1-7 (in Korean).
- Jung, K.W., 2010. Cooperative project of controlling agricultural nonpoint source pollution in Saemanguem watershed. Korean National Committee on Irrigation and Drainage, 46: 53-56 (in Korean).
- Kang, C.G., S.Y. Lee, C. M. Marla, and L.H. Kim, 2010. Application of free water surface constructed wetland for treating the agricultural runoff. Journal of Environmental Impact Assessment, 19(1): 83-89 (in Korean).
- Kang, M.S., 2010. Improvement of farming practice for controlling agricultural nonpoint source pollution. Rural resource, 52(4): 40-50 (in Korean).
- Kim, C.G., 2011. Establishment of system for managing agri-environmental resource using agri-environmental indicators, 10-18. C2011-28. Seoul, Korea: Korea rural economic institute (in Korean).
- Kim, H.S., 2003. The Environment-friendly Agricultural infrastructure improvement plan to Reduce the influence agricultural drainage on water pollution(Final) -focus on the paddy field-, 158-160. Ansan, Gyeonggi, Korea: Rural Research Institute (in Korean).
- Kim, H.S., J.S. Kim, Y.I. Kim, and B.H. Cheong, 2004. Analysis of the characteristics of nutrients loading and the water purification function in the paddy-fields. Journal of Korean National Committee on Irrigation and Drainage, 11(1): 36-44 (in Korean).
- Kim, M.K., S.I. Kwon, G.B. Jung, S.C. Hong, M.J. Chae, S.G. Yun, and K.H. So, 2013. Small-scale pond effects on reducing pollutants load from a paddy field. Korean Journal of Environmental Agriculture, 32(4): 355-358 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2013.32.4.355
- Ko, J.Y., J.S. Lee, K.S. Woo, M.C. Seo, J.R. Kang, S.B. Song, B.G. Oh, K.Y. Jung, E.S. Yun, K.J. Choi, M.H. Nam, and Y.H. Lee, 2010. Effects of purifying rice paddy in reducing nutrient loadings from rice paddy fields area using free range ducks and rice bran. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert, 43(2): 132-139 (in Korean).
- Kwun, S.K., and M.H. Yoo, 1989. Establish prevention of eutrophication and environmental pollution of reservoirs(II), Korean Rural Community and Agricultural Corporation (in Korean).
- Ministry of environment(ME), 2008. Standard methods of water sampling and analysis (in Korean).
- Ministry of land, Infrastructure and Transport(MOLIT), 2013. Statistical analysis of water resource in South Korea, 237-367. Sejong, Korea (in Korean).
- Park, H.N., 2009. Research on Long Term Monitoring for the Non-point Source Discharge. Gwangju, Korea: Yeongsanriver environment research center (in Korean).
- Park, S.W., 2000. Monitoring agroecological environments and developing comprehensive agricultural environmental management systems. Gwacheon, Gyeonggi, Korea: Ministry of agriculture Food and Rural Affairs (in Korean).
Supported by : 국립농업과학원