- Volume 57 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Measurement of Structural Properties of PLA Filament as a Supplier of 3D Printer
3D 프린터에 공급되는 PLA 필라멘트의 물성치 측정
- Received : 2015.07.31
- Accepted : 2015.11.18
- Published : 2015.11.30
Most of agricultural structures are consisted of complex components and exposed to various boundary conditions. There have been no ways to express those structures exactly for model experiment. As an alternative, 3D printer can produce any type of solid model. However, there are limited informations related to structural experiments using 3D printer. The object of this study gives the basic informations to structural engineers who try to use 3D printer for model experiment. When PLA was used as a supplier for 3D printer, the outcomes showed less heat deformation to compare with ABS. To test the material properties, two kinds of experiments (three-point flexibility test and compression test) were executed using universal testing machine. In three-point flexibility test, plastic hinge and its deformation were developed as observed in material such as steel. The behavior was in a linear elastic state, and elastic bending modulus and yield force were evaluated. In the compression test using unbraced columns with hinge-hinge boundary condition, the constant yield forces were observed regardless of different lengths in all columns with same section size, whereas the compressive elastic modulus was increased as the length of column was increased. The suggested results can be used for model experiments of various agricultural structures consisted of single material.
3D printer;filament;PLA;three-point flexibility test;compression test
- 3ddong, 3D Printing & maker movement. Http://cafe.naver.com/3ddong/4200. Accessed 13 Oct. 2015.
- Bang, S. O., K. S. Kim, S. H. Kim, S. G. Song, and J. U. Cho, 2011. Study on compression tests of aluminum foam and honeycomb sandwich composites. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society 12(9): 3802-3807 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.9.3802
- Cho, C. H., M. G. Kim, and W. K. Kim, 2004. Bearing capacity evaluation of the drilled shaft using small scale model test. Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society 20(5): 117-126 (in Korean).
- Cho, S. H., 2010. Modal Testing of Arches for Plastic Film-Covered Greenhouses. Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea 14(2): 57-65 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2010.14.2.057
- Cho, Y. H., S. H. Joh, and S. H. Yeo, 2000. Evaluation of strength and elastic moduli of concrete by destructive and nondestructive testings. In Proc. Korean Society of Civil Engineers, 265-268. Seoul, South Korea: KSCE (in Korean).
- Choi, E. J., S. A. Kim, J. Y. Bae, Y. J. Kwon, and K. H. Lee, 2013. A study on the state of the art of 3D printers. Journal of the Korea Society of Computer Information 21(2): 358-388 (in Korean).
- Gary, H., Simple mode. Http://manual.slic3r.org/simple-mode/simple-mode. Accessed 9 Jun. 2015.
- Gere, J. M., 2004. Mechanics of Materials - 6th Edition. Stamford, Conn.: Thomson Learning, Inc.
- Hwang, K. J., and C. K. Choi, 2011. Evaluation of material test for the design of artistic column using glass reinforced plastic. Journal of the Korean Association for Spacial Structures 11(4): 101-108 (in Korean).
- Jung, S. G., 2004. survey and emergency measures of greenhouses damaged by abnormal snowloads, 167 Chusa-ro, Sinammyeon, Yesan-gun, Chungcheongnam-do: Chungcheongnam-do HUNGCHEONGNAM-DO Agricultural Research and Extension Services.
- Kang, J. H., Semi-auto leveling. Http://formersfarm.com. Accessed 9 Jun. 2015.
- Kim, K. W. 2006. Study on the single and multi-span greenhouses considering higher load capacity: 166, Nongsaengmyeong-ro, Iseo-myeon, Wanju-gun, Jeollabuk-do: National Institute of Agricultural Sciences, Rural Development Administration.
- Kim, M. G., S. W. Nam, W. M. Seo, Y. C. Yoon, S. G. Lee, and H. W. Lee, 2012. Agricultural Facility Systems Engineering. Seoul: Hyangmoonsa.
- Kim, V., Cura manual - part 02. Http://126.96.36.199/walmaker. Accessed 9 Jun. 2015.
- Lee, D. G., and J. Y. Cho, 2010. Similitude law on material non-linearity for seismic performance evaluation of RC columns. Journal of Korea Concrete Institute 22(3): 409-417 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2010.22.3.409
- Lee, J. H, K. Y. Rhee, and H. J. Kim, 2004. A study on the compressive properties of seawater-absorbed carbon-epoxy composites - hydrostatic pressure effect. Journal of the Korean Society for Marine Environmental Engineering, 16(4): 191-195 (in Korean).
- Lee, Y. G., J. W. Choi, J. S. Park, and S. J. Yoon, Compression strength test of FRP reinforced concrete composite pile. Journal of Korean Society for Composite Structures, 2(4): 19-27 (in Korean).
- Nick Lievendag, The Creative's 3D Printing Filament Guide: ABS vs PLA vs many new, innovative materials. Http://nicklievendag.com/filament-guide. Accessed 13 Oct. 2015.
- Oh, W. G., 2014. Customized model manufacturing for patients with pelvic fracture using FDM 3D printer. Journal of the Korea Digital Contents Society 14(11): 370-377 (in Korean).
- Park, S. J., H. H. Song, D. Y. Kim, and C. S. Shim, 2014. Concrete formwork design for irregular structures using 3D printing. Symposium of Korean Institute of BIM 4(1): 89-90 (in Korean).
- Ru, H. R., 2015. Structural improvement of freestanding greenhouse for meteorological disasters response, 100, Nong saengmyeong-ro, Iseo-myeon, Wanju-gun, Jeollabuk-do: National Institute of Horticultural and Herbal Science, Rural Development Administration.
- Yoo, C. S., H. S. Jung, S. S. Jeon, B. W. Lee, K. Y. Kim, and H. Y. Jeon, 2005. Failure mechanism of geosynthetic reinforced segmental retaining well in tiered configuration using reduced-scale model tests. Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society 21(3): 65-77 (in Korean).