- Volume 31 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of Sodium Chloride (NaCl) on the Mycelial Growth and Ascospore Germination of Rhizina undulata, the Root Rot Fungus of Coniferous Trees
Lee, Sun Keun;Lee, Dong Hyeon;Lee, Kyoung-Tae;Park, Yong Bae;Seo, Sang-Tae;Lee, Jong Kyu
- 투고 : 2015.10.27
- 심사 : 2015.11.06
- 발행 : 2015.11.30
Rhizina undulata, the causal agent of Rhizina root rot, is a soil-borne fungus occurring on coniferous trees. The destruction of coastal forests caused by R. undulata infection has been mainly associated with bonfires at camping sites. However, Rhizina root rot was observed in the western coastal forests without fire. It was hypothesized that Rhizina root rot in this area might be closely related to the soil salinity, which can facilitate the growth and survival of R. undulata. So, the variation in sodium chloride (NaCl) resistance among isolates of Rhizina undulata was compared using liquid media containing different concentrations of NaCl ranging from 0 mM to 300 mM. Our results showed that, albeit of no growth at a higher concentration of NaCl (300 mM), most of R. undulata isolates were capable of germinating and grew at up to 100 mM, indicating that NaCl resistance varies among R. undulata isolates. It was further found that isolates from coastal areas seemed to be more tolerant to NaCl than those further away the coast. We demonstrated that R. undulata could be possible to survive in coastal areas, but was lower NaCl tolerance than other fungi.
Rhizina undulata;NaCl resistance;mycelial growth;ascospore germination
- Attaby HSH. 2001. Influence of salinity stress on the growth, biochemical changes and response to gamma irradiation of Penicillium chrysogenum. Pak J Biol Sci 4: 703-706. https://doi.org/10.3923/pjbs.2001.703.706
- Germmen J. 1971. Rhizina undulata. A review of research in the Netherlands. Eur J Forest Pathol 1: 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0329.1971.tb00283.x
- Gibson IAS. 1970. Disease of Pinus patula review. Commonw For Rev 49: 267-274.
- Ginns JH. 1968. Rhizina undulata pathogenic on Douglas fir seedlings in western North America. Plant Dis Report 52: 579-580.
- Hutchison LJ. 1990. Studies on the systematics of ectomycorrhizal fungi in axenic culture. IV. The effect of some selected fungitoxic compounds upon linear growth. Can J Bot 68: 2172-2178. https://doi.org/10.1139/b90-283
- Ishikawa SI, Furukawa A, Oikawa T. 1995. Zonal plant distribution and edaphic and micrometeorological conditions on a coastal sand dune. Ecol Res 10: 259-266. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02347851
- Jalaluddin M. 1967. Studies Rhizina undulata. I Mycerial growth and ascospore germination. Trans Br Mycol Soc 50: 449-459. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0007-1536(67)80014-7
- Kim KH. 2004. Development of the effective control method on Rhizina root rot associated with death of conifers in forest fire sites. Ministry of Agriculture, Seoul, Korea. 112 pp. (in Korean)
- Lee SK, Kim KH, Kim YT, Park JY, Lee SH. 2005. Occurrence of Rhizina root rot in a black pine (Pinus thunbergii) forest located at the western coastal area in Korea and its spreading patterns. Res Plant Dis 11: 208-212. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.5423/RPD.2005.11.2.208
- Lee SK, Lee JK, Kim KH, Lee SK, Lee SY. 2007. PCR Detection and sequence analysis of the rDNA ITS regions of Rhizina undulata. Korean For Soc 96: 425-431. (in Korean)
- Lee SY, Kim WK. 1990. Studies on Rhizina root rot disease of Pinus densiflora. Physiological characteristics and pathogenicity of Rhizina undulate. Korean For Soc 79: 322-329. (in Korean)
- Lee WK, Kim C, Cha SH, Kim YK, Byun JK, Koo KS, Park JW. 1997. Fire effects on soil physical and chemical properties following the forest fire in Kosung. Korean J Ecol 20: 157-162. (in Korean)
- Obase K, Lee JK, Lee SK, Lee SY, Chun KW. 2010. Variation in Sodium Chloride Resistance of Cenococcum geophilum and Suillus granulatus Isolates in Liquid Culture. Mycobiology 38: 225-228. https://doi.org/10.4489/MYCO.2010.38.3.225
- Uraih N, Chipley JR. 1976. Effects of various acids and salts on growth and aflatoxin production by Aspergillus flavus NRRL 3145. Microbios 17: 51-59.
- White TJ, Bruns T, Lee S, Taylor JW. 1990. Amplification and direct sequencing of fungal ribosomal RNA genes for phylogenetics. In: PCR Protocols: a Guide to Methods and Applications (Innis MA, Gelfand DH, Sninsky JJ, White TJ, eds). Academic Press, San Diego, pp 315-322.