- Volume 56 Issue 5
According to former studies, the mechanical properties of reinforced concrete filled tubular steel (RCFT) columns differed greatly from that of concrete filled steel tubular (CFT) columns because of interaction of inserted reinforcement in RCFT. Employing an experiment-based verification policy, a general FE nonlinear analysis model was developed to analyze the mechanical behavior and failure mechanism of RCFT columns under uniaxial compression. The reasonable stress-strain relationships were suggested for confined concrete, reinforcements and steel tube in the model. The mechanism for shear failure of concrete core was found out in the numerical simulation, and a none-conventional method and equation for evaluating the confinement effect of RCFT were proposed.
RCFT;CFT;nonlinear analysis;confinement effect;shear failure
- ASCE (1982), ASCE Task Committee on Concrete and Masonry Structure, State of the Art Report on Finite Element Analysis of Reinforced Concrete, ASCE, New York, U.S.A.
- Bathe, K.J., Walczak, J. and Mistry, N. (1989), "Nonlinear analysis of concrete structures", Comput. Struct., 32(3-4), 563-190. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(89)90347-7
- Chen, S.C., Ren, A.Z., Wang, J.F. and Lu, X.Z. (2008), "Numerical modeling of reinforced concrete slabs subjected to fire", Eng. Mech., 25(3), 107-112.
- ACI Committee 318(1999), Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete and Commentary, American Concrete Institute, ACI 318-99, Detroit, U.S.A.
- ADINA R&D Inc. (2008), ADINA Theory and Modeling Guide, Report ARD08-7, ADINA R&D Inc., Watertown, New York, USA.
- Choi, K.K. and Yan, X. (2010), "Analytical model of circular CFRP confined concrete-filled steel tubular columns under axial compression", J. Compos. Constr., ASCE, 14(1), 125-128. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CC.1943-5614.0000056
- Endo, T., Shioi, Y., Hasegawa, A. and Wang, H.J. (2000), "Experimental study on reinforced concrete filled steel tubular structure", Proc.7th Int. Conf. on Steel Structures, Singapore, July.
- Goto, Y., Ghosh, P.K. and Kawanishi, N. (2010), "Nonlinear finite element analysis for hysteretic behavior of thin-walled circular columns with in-filled concrete", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 136(11), 1413-1422. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000240
- Han, L.H., Yao, G.H. and Tao, Z. (2007), "Performance of concrete-filled thin-walled steel tubes under pure torsion", Thin Wall. Struct., 45(1), 24-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2007.01.008
- Hou, C.C., Han, L.H. and Tao, Z. (2011), "Simulation on concrete-filled steel tubular members under transverse impact", The 2011 World Congress on Advances in Structural Engineering and Mechanics (ASEM'11+), Seoul, Korea, September.
- Hu, H.T., Huang, C.S. and Chen, Z.L. (2005), "Finite element analysis of CFT columns subjected to an axial compressive force and bending moment in combination", J. Constr. Steel Res., 61(12), 1692-1712. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2005.05.002
- JSCE (2007), Standard Specifications for Concrete Structures-2007, Design, Japan Society of Civil
- Engineers, Tokyo, Japan. Kupfer, H., Hilsdorf, H.K. and Rush, H. (1969), "Behavior of concrete under biaxial stresses", ACI J., 66(8), 656-666.
- Kwak, H.G., Kwak, J.H. and Gang, H.G. (2011), "Cyclic behavior of circular concrete filled steel tubular column", The 2011 World Congress on Advances in Structural Engineering and Mechanics (ASEM'11+), Seoul, Korea, September.
- Mao, P.F. and Wang, D.L. (2011), "Nonlinear finite element modeling of the tnterior steel-concrete composite beam joints", Int. J. Nonlin. Sci., 11(2), 173-179.
- Patel, V.I., Liang, Q.Q. and Hadi, M.N.S. (2012), "Inelastic stability analysis of high strength rectangular concrete-filled steel tubular slender beam-columns", Int. Multis. Mech., 5(2), 91-104. https://doi.org/10.12989/imm.2012.5.2.091
- Richart, F.E., Brandtzaeg, A. and Brown, R.L. (1928), "A study of failure of concrete under combined compressive stresses", Eng. Exper. Stat. Bul., XXVI(185), University of Illinois, Urbana, USA.
- Sato, M. (2008), "Study on structural characteristics of RCFT and the application to practical structures", M.S. Dissertation, Hachinohe Institute of Technology, Hachinohe, Japan.
- Saenz, L.P. (1964), "Discussion of 'Equation for the stress-strain curve of concrete' by P. Desayi, and S. Krishnan", ACI J., 61, 1229-1235.
- Soranakom, C. and Mobasher, B. (2007), "Flexural modeling of strain softening and strain hardening fiber reinforced concrete", RILEM Proceedings, Pro. 53, S.A.R.L., Cachan, France, July.
- Suzuki, T. (2008), "Study on new bridges that adopt hybrid structure", Ph.D. Dissertation, Hachinohe Institute of Technology, Hachinohe, Japan.
- Tanigaki, K., Kanai, T. and Komuro, T. (2002), "Construction of high-rise building using reinforced concrete columns formed in steel tube (RCFT) structural system", AIJ J. Tech. Des., 16, 23-26.
- Wang, H.J., Ishibashi, H., Wei, H. and Hasegawa, A. (2002), "Experimental study on twin-column RCFT pier", the Second Int. Conf. on Advances in Structural Engineering and Mechanics (ASEM'02), Seoul, Korea, September.
- Wei, H., Wang, H.J., Hasegawa, A. and Shioi, Y. (2005), "Study on strength of reinforced concrete filled circular steel tubular columns", Struct. Eng. Mech., 19(6), 653-677. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2005.19.6.653
- Xiamuxi, A. and Hasegawa, A. (2011). "Compression test of RCFT columns with thin-walled steel tube and high strength concrete", Steel Compos. Struct., 11(5), 391-402. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2011.11.5.391
- Zeng, Y., Leung, C.C.Y. and Au, F.T.K. (2011), "Finite element analysis of in-situ stitches in precast concrete segmental bridges", The 2011 World Congress on Advances in Structural Engineering and Mechanics (ASEM'11+), Seoul, Korea, September.