- Volume 27 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Analysis of the Part Load Ratio Characteristics and Gas Energy Consumption of a Hot Water Boiler in a Residential Building under Korean Climatic Conditions
국내 기상조건하 주거용 건물 가스 보일러의 부분부하 특성과 에너지 사용량 분석
- Received : 2015.06.19
- Accepted : 2015.07.29
- Published : 2015.09.10
Residential buildings account for a significant portion of the total building-energy usage in Korea, and a variety of research studies on the domestic boiler have therefore been carried out; however, most of these studies examined the boiler itself, whereby the part-load ratio characteristics and the corresponding gas-energy consumption patterns were not analyzed. In this study, the part-load ratio and operating characteristics of a domestic gas boiler were analyzed within a residential building equipped with a radiant floor-heating system; in addition, the energy consumption between condensing and conventional boilers was comparatively analyzed. Our results show that significant portions of the total operating hours, heating load, and energy consumption are in the part-load ratio range of 0 through 40%, whereby the energy consumption was significantly affected by the boiler efficiency under low part-load conditions. These results indicate that the part-load operation of a boiler is an important factor in residential buildings; furthermore, replacing a conventional boiler with a condensing boiler can reduce annual gas-energy usage by more than 20%.
EnergyPlus;Residential building;Heating energy;Radiant heating system;Part load ratio
- Yu, B. H., Seo, B. M., Moon, J. W., and Lee, K. H., 2015, Analysis of the Part Load Ratio Characteristics and Gas Energy Consumption of Hot Water Boiler in Korean Residential Building, Proceeding of The Society of Air-Conditioning and Refrigerating Engineers of Korea, pp. 695-698.
- Yoon, Y. B., Kim, D. S., Park, J. W., and Lee, K. H., 2013, A Study on the Building Energy Performance Depending on the Blind Location, Blind Operation and Glazing Type, Journal of The Society of Air-Conditio ning and Refrigerating Engineers of Korea, Vol. 29, No. 7, pp. 309-316.
- Statistics Korea, 2010, The Energy Consumption of the Household Sector for each Energy Source, Korean Statistical Information Service.
- Korea Boiler Engineering Assoc., 2000, The Concerns about the Side Effects of the High Efficiency Policy on the Gas Boiler, Korea Boiler Engineering Assoc., Vol. 73, pp. 60-63.
- Park. C. I. and Kim. R. H., 2012, A Study for Energy Consumption Efficiency Test Method of Domestic Gas Boiler, Proceeding of The Korea Society for Energy Engineering, p. 157.
- Choi, K. S., Yang, D. J., Yu, K. S., and Park. K. S., 2005, A Study on Improvement Scheme of Thermal Efficiency and Set-up Test Standard for Domestic Gas Boiler, Proceeding of Korea Society Energy and Climate Change, pp. 99-104.
- Korea Boiler Engineering Assoc., 2004, The Truth and the Falsity of the High Efficiency Policy on the Gas Boiler, Korea Boiler Engineering Assoc., Vol. 124, pp. 95-104.
- The U. S. DOE. EnergyPlus Engineering Reference. The Reference to EnergyPlus Calculations, Available online:http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/energyplus/pdfs/engineeringreference.pdf, (accessed on 29 October 2012).
- Hitchcock, R. J., Carroll, W. L., 2003, DElight : A daylighting and electric lighting simulation engine. In Proceedings of the 8th International IBPSA Conference, Eindhoven, The Netherlands, pp. 483-489.
- Winkelmann, F., 2001, Modeling Windows in Energy Plus, Building Simulation 2001, 7th International IBP SA Conference.
- ASHRAE, 2013, ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 90.2-2007, Energy-Efficient Design of Low-Rise Residential Buildings.
- Renato, M. and Lazzarin, 2014, The Importance of the Modulation Ratio in the Boilers Installed in Refurbished Building, Energy and Buildings, Vol. 75, pp. 43-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2014.01.043
- The U. S. DOE. EnergyPlus Input Output Reference. The Encyclopedic Reference to EnergyPlus Input and Output, 2011.
- Recent Progress in Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Research : A Review of Papers Published in the Korean Journal of Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Engineering in 2015 vol.28, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.6110/KJACR.2016.28.6.256